Engineering Wonders of the World/Natural World

Im an engineering nerd lol

The Milau Bridge is impressive, me an me old man are planning a trip there soon.

The Oresund Bridge/Tunnel is also mightily impressive.

oresund-bridge.jpg

bro_oresund_hojbro_fjern_500x375.jpg

pic01.jpg

The jet engine... greatest invetion of all time, concidering the power to weight ratios that some are capable of they piss all over the IC engine in every last little way, and some of the processes and materials used in a modern engine boggle the mind, and you may see them in cars in perhaps 30 odd years time!

300px-Frank_Whittle_CH_011867.jpg

The Nuclear Reactor, the only real gaurantee of sustainable and plnetyful energy in the near future. Just need to shoot the hippys...

reactorcore.jpg

Most aircraft... however, the thing that truely gives me goosebumps is Concorde, truely elegeant, beautiful and an outstanding acheivement. Yet there is nothing today that compares with it.

Concorde-2.jpg

Ill come back when i have thought of more!

RADAR... essentially an accidental discovery when Watson-Watt was asked to develop a "Death Ray" for knocking out enemy aircraft in WW2

He obviously discovered this was a load of crap but did realise it was quite useful for many other means!

PAVE_PAWS_Radar_Clear_AFS_Alaska.jpg

On the extreme end of the scale.... Stealth... trying to undo the former idea!

f-22_2.jpg

Space travel... in general, wether that be the first satelites, Saturn 5 or the Space Shuttle, the amount of brains needed to pull such a feat off its quite extraordinary...

Apollo11Saturn5.jpg

Controvesial, but the atomic (fision, fusion, hydrogen) bomb, yes its designed to wipe out entire cities and civilizations, but i find the science fascinating, that so much energy can be yield from such a small source.

The rest that goes with this i also find massive facination, ive read many a thing about the Cold War and visited several Cold War inspired places, such as the nuclear bunker at Spurn Point, in fact... if i won the Euros i would build a replica bunker :smiley:

atomic-bomb.jpg

Wow that first picture in your first post is quite amazing.

Also Concorde is meant to be coming back into business. Just a handful though.

Wow that first picture in your first post is quite amazing.

Also Concorde is meant to be coming back into business. Just a handful though.

Ive heard at least one will be kept airworthy for prosperity (and rightly so) for airshows etc...

But with a bit of luck it will also ferry enthusiast flights, it will never go into commercial use again.

To think i was saving up for a go on it to! Then it all went a bit wrong so i spent my savings elsewhere, then that was announced lol :chair: