Engineering Wonders of the World/Natural World

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
What are the structures/man made/natural things that make you say "wow" in the world?

For me, it has to be this for transport:

Oasis+of+the+Seas.jpg

This for structure:

Bridge.jpg

And natural wonder of the world has to be this:

Mount_Kailash.jpg
Mount Kailash in Tibet - the most sacred mountain in the world. No one has ever been to the top, and the four faces are aligned to the four points of the compass.

No transport runs to the place, it's a two week trek to the nearest road or rail. I'd love to go there, but I think the one place I REALLY want to goto is North Korea. That really would be a life changing experience!

wot about this natural world wonders
awsome
Much of the Serengeti was known to outsiders as Maasailand. The Maasai were known as fierce warriors, and lived alongside most wild animals with an aversion to eating game and birds, subsisting exclusively on their cattle. Their strength and reputation kept the newly arrived Europeans from exploiting the animals and resources of most of their land. A rinderpest epidemic and drought during the 1890s greatly reduced the numbers of both Maasai and animal populations. Poaching and the absence of fires, which had been the result of human activity, set the stage for the development of dense woodlands and thickets over the next 30–50 years. Tsetse fly populations now prevented any significant human settlement in the area.
Fire, elephants, and wildebeest were influential in determining the current character of the Serengeti.[5] By the 1960s, as human populations increased, fire, either intentionally set by the Maasai to increase area available for pasture, or accidentally, scorched new tree seedlings. Heavy rainfall encouraged the growth of grass, which served as fuel for the fires during the following dry seasons. Older Acacias, which live only 60 to 70 years, began to die. Initially elephants, which feed on both young and old trees, had been blamed for the shrinking woodlands. But experiments showed that other factors were more important. Meanwhile, elephant populations were reduced from 2,460 in 1970 to 467 in 1986 by poaching.[6]

Wildebeests crossing the river during the Serengeti migration

By the mid 1970s wildebeest and the Cape buffalo populations had recovered, and were increasingly cropping the grass, reducing the amount of fuel available for fires.[7] The reduced intensity of fires has allowed Acacia to once again become established.[5]
[edit] Migration

Around October, nearly two million herbivores travel from the northern hills toward the southern plains, crossing the Mara River, in pursuit of the rains. In April, they then return to the north through the west, once again crossing the Mara River. This phenomenon is sometimes called the Circular Migration.
Some 250,000 wildebeest die during the journey from Tanzania to Masai Mara Reserve in lower Kenya, a total of 800 kilometres (500 mi). Death is usually from thirst, hunger, exhaustion, or predation.[1] The migration is chronicled in the 1994 documentary film, Africa: The Serengeti.

Cannot forget that! Here is a picture of the whole thing, not just the first image that comes up on google images Mr Youngson :wink:

titanic5.jpg

Mike, this is where the image was taken from

http://www.titanicuniverse.com/

Just happens to also be the first image on Google. Think you might enjoy that page.

Also as for the Oasis of the Sea's.. Wow! The documentary is amazing. But anyways if the Oasis of the Sea's ever happened to be in a force 9 storm in the North Sea i would feel much safer in this vessel below.

Length : 30.5m​
Breadth : 8.7m​
Depth : 7.14m​
Gross Tonnage 370​
Engine : Alpha 1186hp​

OceanVenture.gif

Also as for the Oasis of the Sea's.. Wow! The documentary is amazing. But anyways if the Oasis of the Sea's ever happened to be in a force 9 storm in the North Sea i would feel much safer in this vessel below.

So would I, in some ways, but I'd still love to go on the OOTS, it really is an amazing feat of engineering, that shopping mall, my god!!!!!!

oasis_of_the_seas_exterior_at_sea.jpg

Oh where to start with this....

My favourite piece of engineering is probably the Blackbird jet, being able to outrun a bullet/missile is pretty cool. But then you have things like Taipei 101, Hoover Dam and another one of the best - The Palm in Dubai simply amazing!

Natural wonders - Seychelles (my favourite place in the world), Iguazu Falls, Hell's Gateway, Northern lights. If you have a spare 5 mins have a look at this... http://travel.uk.msn.com/inspiration/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=149582185

I could go on for ages!!!!! But I wont :smile:

^ lol.

Quite harsh my lol comment, but then again it is quite amazing..

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the great wall of china yet?

Longest wall in the world but not a single ATM :001_rolleyes:

:f1team07:

I don't really know if these count for engineering but man made structures such as the Derwent Dams always amaze me because of when they were done! But Hong Kong's Ocean Airport amazes me (there was a programme on BBC 2 not so long ago), it's built on land reclaimed from the sea and took inspiration from everything from F1 Suspension to a brass band so that they could build a structure that would withstand the potential Typhoons and earthquakes!

Natural wonders ... There are so many - Giants Causeway, Northern Lights, Ice Roads (wow) BUT the Coco de Mer is an amazing plant it has the biggest seeds in the plant kingdom!

Sink holes are just strange aren't they? When a story pops up that someone has woken up to a sink hole where their garden used to be! WEIRD!