"Don't buy a Renault" They told me.....

so is it the 12 month warranty with the dealership thast refused to cover it, or renault uk just outside its 3 year warranty? you need to find a copy of the dealerships terms and conditions for the warrenty, and you need to talk to renault uk.

Last edited:
Did you ask RUK if they would contribute? As opposed to warranties?

RUK will have just passed it to warranties who have said no, I would go back and ask RUK for a goodwill gesture and point then at the evidence of past failures from other vehicles.

so is it the 12 month warranty with the dealership thast refused to cover it, or renault uk just outside its 3 year warranty? you need to find a copy of the dealerships terms and conditions for the warrenty, and you need to talk to renault uk.

The used car warranty doesn't cover it, they asked renault if they could cover it as it's just out of manufacturer warranty and they told me they wouldn't earlier this morning.

I went to the dealer with the intention of leaving the second key and paperwork, I left the dealership with my second key lol

Basically the sales manager and dealer principal are going to discuss what the way forward is and see if me returning the car is an option.

He advised me not to miss finance payments as it will affect me which I know and is fair enough, so while I'm annoyed I won't bite my nose to spite my face yet.

When I was there this morning he asked me whether if returning the car I'd want another car, I said yes as I need a car, so I'd imagine the outcome will be they let me return it and pick something else.

I could be wrong though, and if so not sure what I would do, as I don't just want a renault shopping trolley, it would need to be a renault sport model and I think I'd want new as that way I'd have the manufacturer warranty that would cover me for gearbox for example

Can you clarify what your gripe is???

As someone already mentioned it was confirmed that I would need to pay for gearbox etc.

So from my point of view I've bought a car 2 weeks ago from renault that has a gearbox and steering fault that I need to pay

That's why I'm annoyed.

At the end of the day problems happen, and if the outcome had been that the issues would be fixed then fair enough, infact I'd feel happy as I'd have a new gearbox, but that's not what is happening.

I'm going to wait now and see what resolution the dealer offer me.

I also want to clarify that I'm not anti french and pro german or anything, I bought the clio 200 for a reason, that being it handles much better than the cooper s and corsa vxr and I like high revving engines.

I'm just disappointed at the customer service I've received so far, on the one hand I can understand renault not doing anything to a degree as the car has no manufacturer warranty. When the problem was diagnosed I was simply expecting the dealer to do something, having the manufacturer resolve a problem for a car with no manufacturer warranty wasn't something I even thought of or expected.

My problem is with the dealer who should be doing something for a car they sold 2 weeks ago with problems that aren't in my mind wear and tear as I've not caused anything in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Seems like your going down the right path with the right attitude towards it mate. Keeping up the finance payments (although painful) is sound advice. Lets hope they give you a sensible solution to your problem.

I'm still a little shocked that they wont just replace the box and steering column and have done with it (since its two weeks old, and no reputable dealership should be selling stuff in that state). If they take the car back and give you another, what are they going to do with yours...? Flog it on to another dealer and say nothing? Or worse, sell it to another punter?

If you're happy with the car, new box and s.rack would be a nice solution, since you'll have a newish car with the most worrying issues already taken care of :smile:

From my experience Marshall its pot luck. Although I've had ****ty service from the Renault dealers around me, I never had trouble with Warranty, and lots of other people have good experiences, it depends who you talk to/where you are. When I spoke to RUK I got responses (eventually) and it always went my way. Having said that I was in Warranty period, luckily since that expired I've had no need to go back.

Getting anything out of anyone is just hassle...nobody cares

This is so true.

It seems that most companies which covers a 'risk' will try anything to get out of paying when you claim.

Its the same with insurance, they cover a risk (although in a different way) and there are horror stories of insurance companies refusing to pay out for various reasons.

Most companies are happy to take your money but it soon goes down hill if you need to claim for anything.

A company should be judged by how they deal with things like this, not on how nice they are when they sell you a car....

so what does the warranty cover?

what is it for a warranty if it doesnt cover major items that break/fail?

have you seen the terms/conditions and even back street garages offer warranties that cover engine/gearbox for 3 month from point of purchase?????

so in a nutshell you have purchased a car from a renault dealers with a warranty and it doesnt cover anything.....i would be going back and bouncing the screwed up warranty paperwork off his head!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry but sounds like they are bull poo-ing you!

if they do a swap or take it back it still needs fixing.....

Last edited:
I'm just disappointed at the customer service I've received so far, on the one hand I can understand renault not doing anything to a degree as the car has no manufacturer warranty. When the problem was diagnosed I was simply expecting the dealer to do something, having the manufacturer resolve a problem for a car with no manufacturer warranty wasn't something I even thought of or expected.

My problem is with the dealer who should be doing something for a car they sold 2 weeks ago with problems that aren't in my mind wear and tear as I've not caused anything in 2 weeks.

OK put it in a little perspective, the issue is less than or just 24hrs old.

The garage will ALWAYS pass it to renault to see if they can get them to pay (any company would)

Renault pass it to warranties as the garage is trying to make a warranty claim.

warranty have said no so renault will pass it back.

Garage say geee sorry they have said no.....

You now need to ask the garage to pay whilst looking into if you can hand the car back etc (if you have had the car 2 weeks you won't have a payment any time soon i would have thought).

If they say no and you can't give the car back via consumer rights then ask RUK for a goodwill gesture.

ONE THING YOU MAY WANT TO TRY

Is say if you pay for it you want to keep the old gearbox and a brand new one fitting. I know for a fact that won't happen as they ship your box back and fit a reconditioned box. Your old one is then reconditioned for the next claim. You may want to tell RUK that as the chances are they will not know and wrongly assume you will just be buying a new box.

WHO IS THE DEALER YOU HAVE BOUGHT IT OFF?

You could also throw a cat amongst the pigeons and ask to see the PDI report because surely the car hasn't developed a fault as bad as that that quickly, maybe there was a "developing" fault picked up on at PDI but ignored!?! It's a long shot but if it was me I'd be demanding every piece of literature and paperwork that they have in that building about that car...

I purchased my '07 197 in May 2010 from Lookers Altrincham. In Aug 2010 I took her in for a "Free Summer Check" that was being advertised on the showroom windows. They turned around and told me that my Rear Pads were "dangerously worn" and also that my 5mm tyres were "close to needing changing"... I told them I'd only had the car for three months and they said it should never have been sold with the Pads in that state. I pointed out it was them out sold it to me.

I posted up on the Renaultsport forum and I spoke to a girl in France and a guy over here (Jeremy). They confirmed to me that although used cars are "sold as seen", certain checks are still required at the PDI stage and by failures should be rectified before resale if they're deemed to be a developing problem. I also pointed out to them that they'd actually said that I'd need a new set of Caliper Pins for the rears too. No such part exists. Fail.

Two days after my calls to Renault, I got a call from the dealer offering to replace my Pads for free as soon as was convenient for myself in order to "rebuild the trust"... I was there the next morning waiting for them to open hahaha!!! About two months later, Lookers lost the franchise and the showroom was all rebranded as Bristol Street Motors. All of the sales staff and a couple of the tech's got f?cked off in the changeover because there'd been "multiple" customer complaints which is what led to Lookers being given the shove by all accounts.

So anyway, keep trying and be polite as possible with everyone. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just to update, spoke to renault customer services again who advised me that a technican was sent there (er...ok) and confirms the gearbox is faulty (thanks captain obvious we established that when you said you wouldn't pay for it), they will cover the gearbox, but on further inspection the knocking from the steering wheel is not faulty, it was plugged into a diagnostic machine and no faults found. Apparently the noise is because the car is new and needs bedding in, which goes against what I was told yesterday.

So mixed feelings at the minute, on the one hand it's great that I'd get a new gearbox, but what about the steering rack? That's not normal. And could the gearbox fault be caused due to the previous owner? I know these cars are designed to be driven hard but what about if it's down to the previous owners driving and other issues will crop up.

Opinions needed guys, what would you do? If I did accept the repair would you try and get a new clutch done too? Don't fancy my chances on getting that but it would make sense in my opinion.

I'm just paranoid if I accept the repair either way this car will be one of those cars that's always at the dealers, and if the gearbox has an inherent fault and they replace it with a refurb of what's already there then what's to say I won't just have the same issues later on.

I'm just still wondering if gearboxs have a design flaw or whether it's partly driving style that causes issues later.

Last edited:
I'd ask about the clutch, nothing to lose!!! You could argue that if the 'box has been mistreated and failed then it's a preventative measure. Or at the very least you could offer to pay the parts for it and they fit it for free with the 'box being off anyway, can't see the standard clutch being mega expensive.

There has been changes to the gearboxes throughout the lifespan of the 197/200 and it's a fairly common failure although Renault won't admit to it and won't do a recall. It doesn't seem to have any real correlation to mileage or treatment either which is probably why they're refusing to acknowledge it as an "official" problem.

Last edited:
worth replacing the clutch whilst the box is out...

on a similar note the lower subframe and rack are removed to change the gearbox - so perhaps the garage can give the rack a proper check over - maybe with you there to whitness it being done and "no fault found"???

Having just looked at prices for a clutch replacement then I definitely want that done.

Clutch is quite high as it is so probably won't last much longer.

I'll lay my cards on the table tomorrow that I would like the gearbox and clutch replaced and the knocking noise gone when turning left.

The knocking is not normal, if it was then it would have been there from day one when I purchased it.

All they can do is say no, if they do then I'll carry on down the avenue of rejection of the vehicle as it not being fit for purpose.

The current resolution they have offered of me having a new gearbox only is not enough. The technician diagnosed the steering rack as faulty and said a certain part needed changing then 24hours later it's apparently all fine lol

Last edited:
Can I ask why you're handing it back? And Has it all been finalised that you're giving it back or are you trying to?

Incomplete history, knocking from steering and car feels excessively worn as if it hasn't been look after very well.

Initially they offered me a partial refund which took a couple of weeks to come but wasn't happy. They have since offered to book it in to a garage and cover the cost of any repairs needed but I think it's a shed tbh and they have agreed to take it back. Just waiting on confirmation that they are refunding the finance co. in fully before I hand over the keys.

Good luck with the clutch issue. I had a slave cylinder go on the clutch at 6000 miles and i tried to get a new one due to possible contamination of the clutch plates but nope, £300 they wanted to add it to the job

If you have had the car under 6 months the garage you bought from has to pay ring trading standards you'll see bud :smile:

I would pay for the clutch and ask it fitting for free while its being done as it will cost them nothing in time.

Say you are unhappy with the knocking rack and if they can't diagnose the fault and had to get a 3rd part technician in you want the car taking to a competent garage to be done at their expense as by there own admittance they got it wrong.

HOWEVER if your going to reject the car either way why bother and just go down that route?

LOL @ the steering rack needs bedding in- thats what masters told me after they fcked up fitting the new one-

Its a pity your not down this way my mechanic would be able to check the rack.. :worried:

S