"Don't buy a Renault" They told me.....

I'm starting to think I should have listened. Everyone said "don't buy renault, you'll have issues". In all honesty I thought "whatever", every car can have issues.

Rewind back to yesterday morning, plan was to go to the gym, come back and get booked in for a service at some point with 519 automotive.

Unfortunately what happens is I can't get my car into any gear at all first thing in the morning, at the time I thought no worries it's just cold. Trouble started when I pulled up to a roundabout (car was warm) and the car simply would not go into gear.

The car had to be taken to Renault and they have informed me that I need a new gearbox and steering rack (was getting knocking when doing full lock).

It get's better though, I've been told I will have to pay if Renault don't cover it as it's one month out of manufacturers warranty, but bear in mind my car has 12 months used car warranty.

So the (franchised) renault dealer will contact renault to see if they will cover it as it's just out of manufacturers warranty but if not then the used car warranty won't cover it.

So as it stands I'm driving a bag of **** twingo and I have a large repair bill over my head.

I've contacted renault customer services earlier this evening as I don't think it's right that I should have to pay for a new gearbox as I have a used car warranty, they will apparently call me back tomorrow.

I'm so annoyed with all this.....

Last edited:
How is that not covers by the used warranty!?!

How long have you had the car? If not long then just give them the keys back, call the finance company and tell them you were sold something unfit for use and let them sort it out. Watch how fast it get fixed when the finance company are on the phone asking for their money back, plus interest... If you're not on finance then you might be worth giving Renault UK a ring yourself, or get on the Renaultsport forum as there's a few bigwigs on there that help out if/when they can.

How is that not covers by the used warranty!?!

Exactly!!!!

What it is though is the dealer will have to pay for it if renault don't cover it.

They're just trying it on, a gearbox isn't a wear and tear item like say a clutch would be in my opinion.

How long have you had the car? If not long then just give them the keys back, call the finance company and tell them you were sold something unfit for use and let them sort it out. Watch how fast it get fixed when the finance company are on the phone asking for their money back, plus interest... If you're not on finance then you might be worth giving Renault UK a ring yourself, or get on the Renaultsport forum as there's a few bigwigs on there that help out if/when they can

I've had the car a few weeks.

I've contacted the finance company, they made a note of my complaint and the relevant department will contact the dealership.

Unforuntately I'm passed the 14 day right of withdrawal from the finance so can't simply cancel.

I sent an email to the salesman too a little while ago as I didn't have the email address for the salesmanager or dealer principal.

I've not done it great but it highlights mainly what my issues are.

Could you please forward this on to the sales manager and dealer principal please.

I am absolutely disgusted at the buying experience I have had since purchasing the flagship Renault Sport Clio 200 from your branch. The car has had countless issues,ranging from substandard tyres, a knocking from the rear of the vehicle, a gearbox that won't engage any gears and a knocking from the steering wheel.

Today I was at a roundabout and unable to put the car into gear, this posed a massive safety issue, upon bringing the vehicle to your service department the technician greeted me with the news that the car needs a new gearbox and work also needs to be carried out on the steering due to a knocking sound when turning the wheel to the left.

The car is not fit for purpose, while used cars and even new cars can have problems, the car was quite clearly not throughly checked as if it was then these issues would have been rectified. The car was also sold to me with budget tyres with a speed rating which was well below the speed rating recommended, which posed a very high safety risk. The speed rating on the oem tyres are W, the car was sold with nexen tyres with a speed rating of H. I had to pay over £500 to replace the tyres with the oem spec continental tyres The car having budget tyres is not the issue, but the fact that the tyres were not even to safety spec with regards to speed rating is a major issue.

I have had the car for only two weeks and the car has developed problems that aren't reasonable to expect after only two weeks. A new gearbox on a vehicle that has done only 20,000 miles is not reasonable, and is neither wear and tear but is infact an inherent fault that was on the vehicle at the time of purchase. The vehicle was clearly not throughly checked before the point of sale.

I have contacted Renault Customer Services and lodged a complaint and have also contacted the finance company to let them know I have been providedwith a substandard vehicle with safety issues.Trading standards have also been informed and they have advised me to put all my points in writing.

I am rejecting the vehicle as it is not fit for purpose. It is not unreasonable to expect a car with 20000 miles to have a working gearbox and no knocking sounds when driving

The gearboxes on these are not serviceable items (they don't need oil changes), and as such you could argue that they're expected to last the life of the car (100,000Miles). There has been instances of Renault coming to agreements with people and paying a percentage of cost on failures where parts are expected to last that amount of miles (engine and gearbox to give two examples). They would base this percentage on the mileage the car has covered, so if you've done 10,000M or 10% of the cars "life" cycle then they would typically pay 90% of the costs to rectify the failure and you'd be left to pay the difference. This has happened a few times, but I'd say to only try and go that way as a last resort...

Thanks for the link.

One things for certain, a car that physically can't select a gear and move is not fit for purpose, and two weeks is not wear and tear.

Obviously the dealer will do everything they can to stop me from returning the car. I guess I'll have a better idea what sort of stance they're taking tomorrow.

The gearboxes on these are not serviceable items (they don't need oil changes), and as such you could argue that they're expected to last the life of the car (100,000Miles). There has been instances of Renault coming to agreements with people and paying a percentage of cost on failures where parts are expected to last that amount of miles (engine and gearbox to give two examples). They would base this percentage on the mileage the car has covered, so if you've done 10,000M or 10% of the cars "life" cycle then they would typically pay 90% of the costs to rectify the failure and you'd be left to pay the difference. This has happened a few times, but I'd say to only try and go that way as a last resort...

I read through some of the big gearbox thread and noticed different amount of contributions were offered. From my point of view I don't think I should be expected to pay anything on a car I've owned for two weeks.

My ideal outcome is to be able to walk away from the car but not sure if that's going to happen realistically.

I read through some of the big gearbox thread and noticed different amount of contributions were offered. From my point of view I don't think I should be expected to pay anything on a car I've owned for two weeks.

My ideal outcome is to be able to walk away from the car but not sure if that's going to happen realistically.

Another steering rack bites the dust...............

S

Same problem with mine. The same warranty. I stamped my feet and said I will contact trade and standards. They ended paying for it but the gear box still doesn't fell right:worried: at least you got a twingo they told me there was a 5 week list for a car.... Should of hot my sale a jap car

Same problem with mine. The same warranty. I stamped my feet and said I will contact trade and standards. They ended paying for it but the gear box still doesn't fell right:worried: at least you got a twingo they told me there was a 5 week list for a car.... Should of hot my sale a jap car

That's what I don't want happening with me getting a "new" gearbox and it not feeling right, or having more problems later.

I've read people on here going through 2 or 3 gearboxes, that ain't normal.

I should have read up on the problems before buying the car, but I rushed into it and this is what happens....

And there's no way I would have let them not give me a courtesy car, it's bad that you didn't get one.

Another steering rack bites the dust...............

S

Yep.

I've had pretty much every problem these cars can have, knocking on throttle lift off, gear box, steering rack...

Last edited:
Renault are replacing the gearboxes with one peice syncros now so should be solved-

I would just tell them they are keeping the car until they have rectified it-

The steering rack will cost ~ £800 to do. that will be a difficult one to get done.-

best of luck, go straight to RUK past the dealer.
Dealers are useless ( mostly)

S

Thanks.

As you say I doubt the steering rack will get done, he said it was something else that would get done as opposed to the whole steering rack, I can't remember the part he said

I've contacted everyone today so it's just a waiting game.

It's a shame because the car would be great if everything was sorted.....

They done my steering rack problem well! I got a car I wouldn't leave until they have me one! I ended up with the sales managers clio lol.. So much potential in the car just not enough attention to the important things like a basic gearbox!!!

What was your steering rack problem? Was it like a knock/clunk when turning the wheel?

Mine only does it when turning the steering wheel to the left.

This is my first renault and to be honest will be my last, every car has problems but it's how they deal with them that matters, I'm looking forward to hearing what dealer/renault say.

What's annoying is even if they do decide to carry out the work I won't get the car back til next year most likely with christmas etc

Last edited:
I replaced one under Warranty-

Its dependent on what they are going to do out of warranty-

Good luck-

I think you will end up with a total bill under £500.

S

I replaced one under Warranty-

Its dependent on what they are going to do out of warranty-

Good luck-

I think you will end up with a total bill under £500.

S

The thing is my car has warranty.

What the dealer is saying is that the 12 months used car warranty they provided won't cover it so if Renault don't cover it as a good will gesture due to the manufacture warranty running out last month then I have to pay.

That is why I'm so annoyed and don't want to have the car back, I don't think it's right that if renault don't cover it the dealer will simply do nothing and expect me to pay.

And if renault tell me they'll contribute something and ask me to pay the rest when it should be the dealer paying they can **** right off.

They changed my gear box and sorted the steering in 4 days! I had a knock when turning to the right. It's my first renault and I will not be having one again!!!!!