Does religion play any part in your life?

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
Just wanted to find out if it really matters to anyone?

This is not a thread to start abusing any religion in particular, I am interested to find out if there is place for religion in the "younger generation" :smile::smile::smile:

I'm afraid I'm an Atheist, so therefore Science explains all :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Buddhism seems to be the best religion going though, all their beliefs seem to be good!

:oops: I got married in a church, but only so the wife was happy.

I had to go to church for the 3 Sundays before the wedding to have our Bans read (LOL at the word they use...can you imagine me :ban: :ban: :ban: ) and I was sitting there thinking "No that was done because there was an earthquake/hurricane/tornado NOT because some other being did it!"

only time i turn to religion is when i am driving over the buttertubs and RB1 is flying over the bumps......."oh my god" !!!!!!

Nope, don't believe in any of it, never really will.

I think its slowly dyeing off, religion is not as "popular" as it used to be.

I'm a Catholic, been baptised and confirmed, but haven't been to church since I was in my early teens. I even went to a Catholic Primary and Secondary school!!

Mum lost faith and as kids me and my sis were just glad we didn't have to listen to another boring sermon ever again!!

Can't say that I really believe in 'God' even after all those years of education..however I am a true believer in 'fate' lol!

I think I was put off religion because it was forced on me when I was younger. Was in the choir, was at church 5 days out of 7.

Then I discovered BBC Focus Magazine, How Stuff Works Magazine and Discovery Channel lol :wink:

I'm a firm atheist, I work with a couple of serious Christians and have had some fairly deep discussions with them. I can understand why they believe some of what they believe but science can explain so much more.

As I see it, the bible is just a very VERY good selling story book. I could never live my life by a book, especially a book that has unknown origins.

Discovery channel explains all in the world too me.

I believe in the same as you Mike.

Up where i stay is a very religious fisher village so i respect the church go-er. But it isn't for me.

Discovery channel explains all in the world too me.

I believe in the same as you Mike.

Up where i stay is a very religious fisher village so i respect the church go-er. But it isn't for me.

You are a legend too, so thats why you watch all the good channels!

You seen the program "How the Universe Works"???

It is spellboundingly interesting!!!!

No i haven't seen it. Is it a must watch? I watched a program how they built 'MV Oasis of the Seas' the other day, worlds biggest cruise liner.

Back on topic or ban yourself Mike :wink:

OMG Oasis of the Seas, I saw that too (when the ship went under the bridge and missed it by 40cm lol)

But Liam sir, you are right:

thread_direction.gif

LOL.^ Yeah but anyways i don't have an interest in science but i do believe that it is what got us here and what will always keep us here.

Oasis of the Sea's was amazing! Retracting exhausts costing millions just so it could be used once!

^ Highlight for O.T. :coffee:

i believe religion was humans way of trying to explain events which at the time may have seemed 'impossible' ie the northern lights as a very blunt example.

as science improves religion will be eradicated. Bad thing? in my eyes no, religion has done a lot more harm then good and has further divided the world beyond skin colour or global position.

interesting topic mike!!!

ps just as a footnote, we are all star dust and will only ever be star dust. we have just taken on a very interesting form at present!

I like to believe there's another life after this one, where I do not know!

I certainly look to god when im flying through turbulence. Ive been around the world and back but I will never get used to Turbulence!

Nope, I seem to be in the majority. I don't believe in it all and never have - always been intersted in science which offers a lot more logical expilantions (despite physics being the most confusing thing I have ever studied).

I think that Actionpacked has hit the nail on the head, religion was an easy way of explaining everything in a much simpler time. Nowadays I think that the actual explinations for events are much more interesting than brushing it off as 'holy,' using the northern lights example; charged particles streaming straight out of the sun at nearly the speed of light hitting the thin layer of ozone which is the only thing keeping us alive, while we are hurtling through the universe at 10,000+mph, and we dont even notice. Now thats interesting for me (and it means I dont have to get up early on a Sunday hahaha).

Essentially the bible could be considered the first glossy magazine - it is the story of one womans affair, which got really out of hand. There is no such thing is a 'miraculous conception' lol!

ps just as a footnote, we are all star dust and will only ever be star dust. we have just taken on a very interesting form at present!

I love the fact that all precious metals were formed when stars died. My wedding ring was created in the centre of a dying star :smile: