Decibel app. Iphone.

Through the Apple app store, you to download an app that allows you to record the noise around you. I wanted to see what Db my exhaust system is generating. So tonight, i'll have no fuel on the way home from work after the squeezing gas to make bangs, pops and growlllllllls. :smiley:

Handy app in general too.

It seems fairly accurate (after shouting, wispering and singing nearby, haha). It actually records the max reading and gives average noise levels that are typical to each noise reading. Try it - it's free.

More info; https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/decibel-10th/id448155923?mt=8

Yes, this will embrace your geeky side. Haha :001_huh:

i've got this app,mine ticks over at 83db holding my phone about .5m away from the exhaust

i'll try it at 4.5k when i get chance

Great app., I'm always measuring stuff.

Mine cold idles at 80DB warm and 83DB cold...

My last exhaust (K-Tec Magnex) was only 83DB at 5,500RPM (ClubMSV Bedford) hahaha!!!

Ill take mine from warm at the exhaust, and then take one reading from inside.

This is interesting and boarder line competitive! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

LOL at the blackberry having such an app.

can the gatekeeper adjust the thread title with the rules of the game then we'll have an accurate range of results,if the OP'er doesn't mind that is,ha

0.5m from either exhaust tip with phone at 45 degrees

can the gatekeeper adjust the thread title with the rules of the game then we'll have an accurate range of results,if the OP'er doesn't mind that is,ha

0.5m from either exhaust tip with phone at 45 degrees

+ 1

All readings stated must be truthful.

I'll borrow my sister's iPad tonight and get a reading.

Shall we say warm idle and 4.5k as the two readings?

Last edited:
Hahaha that's going off how it's measured at trackdays!!!

The rod they insert in the exhaust is jut a stick to make sure all cars are measured from the same angle/distance. The sensor is actually much higher up on the rod where the operator can see the figures on the screen. Other rule is, don't have your car parked next to a wall when you do it as that will bump the figure right up. :wink:

I think the limit an iPhone can read is 100DB.

Last edited:
Hahaha that's going off how it's measured at trackdays!!!

The rod they insert in the exhaust is jut a stick to make sure all cars are measured from the same angle/distance. The sensor is actually much higher up on the rod where the operator can see the figures on the screen. Other rule is, don't have your car parked next to a wall when you do it as that will bump the figure right up. :wink:

I think the limit an iPhone can read is 100DB.

ahhhhh gutted,just got 140db!....in the garage,:tongue_smilie:

Readings are also usually taken at 3/4 rev limit so we should set that as a benchmark too..

I'll get an app to do it but at how fast I'm sure I was around the 88 mark, could be wrong tho.

Readings are also usually taken at 3/4 rev limit so we should set that as a benchmark too..

I'll get an app to do it but at how fast I'm sure I was around the 88 mark, could be wrong tho.

yeah that sounds about right angel,mine was 91db

at bedford we had to hold it at 4500rpm,i backed mine off a touch as i was worried it wouldn't pass so held it at 4k,(the guy never noticed),seems it would have been ok anyway but it was my first time so wasn't sure

there's going to be some unhappy neighbours tonight guys,my cars warmed and waiting for the wife to get home so she can stand in the pi55ing rain holding my phone while i adjust the thrust,:kiss: