Decat questions

anthonymayow

Platinum Member
Haven't yet had a decent look under the clio since purchase, but was looking at a "toyosport" decat manifold, and a aka evo exhaust,

am i right in thinking the only cat is in the manifold? or is there one after the manifold again?

not sure why there is a cat in the manifold? just bad Renault design?

anyone shed some light? cheers

Theres 2 cats, one in manifold (pre-cat) and one by its own after it.

The akra evo will remove your main cat, so bare in mind you wont pass MOT if you change the manifold also.

Last edited:
Theres 2 cats, one in manifold (pre-cat) and one by its own after it.

The akra evo will remove your main cat, so bare in mind you wont pass MOT if you change the manifold also.

i thought this, but sounded stupid thinking there was to, cheers!!

well i guess ill have to find a mot place where a bribe will make the emissions pass haha, will it still pass with the main cat out then?

i thought this, but sounded stupid thinking there was to, cheers!!

well i guess ill have to find a mot place where a bribe will make the emissions pass haha, will it still pass with the main cat out then?

haha good luck with that one, I remember being about 10 years younger and asking a few local places... didn't always go down too well!! Expect nowadays it's even more stringent.

You could always get the non Evo Akra or a different exhaust entierly, Supersprint, Scorpion etc all retain the OE or a Sports cat alternative. The Akra Evo is probably the best exhaust if you're never going to change the manifold, but if you do I'd opt for something else as it isn't worth the premium of the Akra to then start cutting it up to install a sports cat.

haha good luck with that one, I remember being about 10 years younger and asking a few local places... didn't always go down too well!! Expect nowadays it's even more stringent.

You could always get the non Evo Akra or a different exhaust entierly, Supersprint, Scorpion etc all retain the OE or a Sports cat alternative. The Akra Evo is probably the best exhaust if you're never going to change the manifold, but if you do I'd opt for something else as it isn't worth the premium of the Akra to then start cutting it up to install a sports cat.
I used to have an Impreza, with no cat. The only way we could get it to pass the MOT, was to use loads of octane booster !

the other one is just the 'slip on' and its just the backbox

You'd be suprised, a quick Facebook status asking for friendly MOT stations to be messaged to you usually works well.

My decatted 182 used to fly through MOTs for an extra £20 haha

yeah getting both removed, my dads a long time mechanic so im sure someone owes him a favor somewhere, i had a 182, with just a backbox and it didnt even go on a ramp just got given a bit of paper within 2 minutes haha!

ill try the £20 trick, first time getting the mot before i do it, as its due soon, im guessing because nearly 3 years old.. i guess im right?

It's not the MOT that is the problem, that's easy fixed, it's the criminal conviction for perverting the course of justice. By removing the CAT, your car is no longer insured, which is fine by me I don't have a problem, but just so you are aware, if your car is not fitted with a CAT it is not road legal. It means you will not get paid out if your car is involved in an accident, even if it is not your fault. It also means that if you are stopped in one of the ever increasing VOSA road side emission tests, they can take your car and crush it, as you have deliberately removed the Cat, not that it has failed, it has been deliberately removed, which is a criminal offence. Now having a cat which is not working is not a problem, ie if all the guts have fell out of it and it's not working, you just need a new one. Now I don't want shooting down, I'm no saint, I am only the messenger, and unfortunately what I am saying is true. Your best running a Sport cat, but to be honest the couple of HP you will gain from a cat delete is not really worth it.

It's not the MOT that is the problem, that's easy fixed, it's the criminal conviction for perverting the course of justice. By removing the CAT, your car is no longer insured, which is fine by me I don't have a problem, but just so you are aware, if your car is not fitted with a CAT it is not road legal. It means you will not get paid out if your car is involved in an accident, even if it is not your fault. It also means that if you are stopped in one of the ever increasing VOSA road side emission tests, they can take your car and crush it, as you have deliberately removed the Cat, not that it has failed, it has been deliberately removed, which is a criminal offence. Now having a cat which is not working is not a problem, ie if all the guts have fell out of it and it's not working, you just need a new one. Now I don't want shooting down, I'm no saint, I am only the messenger, and unfortunately what I am saying is true. Your best running a Sport cat, but to be honest the couple of HP you will gain from a cat delete is not really worth it.

yeah i knew all that, i was considering doing a mainfold decat, then sportscat with a akra evo system? havent looked at the evo system if its straight to manifold or has a 2 piece, where there is a decat pipe then the cat back?

yeah i knew all that, i was considering doing a mainfold decat, then sportscat with a akra evo system? havent looked at the evo system if its straight to manifold or has a 2 piece, where there is a decat pipe then the cat back?

Looking at a picture, its 1 piece.

Looking at a picture, its 1 piece.
did think that, as ive just had a look. wonder if they do a 2 piece?

or would it lose value if you cut it and got a professional to weld a flange on to fit the cat?

EDIT

just had a light blub, ktec list it as a "catback" system, so youd need a decat pipe to decat it anyways? which is where the sport cat goes?

so i could get the decat manifold, a sports cat and a akra evo system, and not get a decat pipe? thinking this due to how ktec list the exhaust?

Last edited:
Would probaly loose value yes.

One of these things your paying for with the akra is the high quality welds.

Would probaly loose value yes.

One of these things your paying for with the akra is the high quality welds.

yes i guessed that, do they do custom orders?

also the akar is a cat-back exhaust isnt it, so i could just get the manifold decat, and a sports cat, before the akar system?