Clutch Problem?

Hi all,

Recently i have noticed if i push the clutch pedal down slowly the clutch goes all the way to the floor.. But if i press harder on the pedal its fine..

Also when driving right up the rev limit and i change gear, the clutch pedal sometimes feels sluggish to return back to its normal height...

I hope its just me??

Any way of checking to see if the clutch is ok? Going into gears there is no crunching. However, i did have an issue engaging 1st last week, but it did go in after a few attempts (Has not done it since)

Matt

There have been a few cases of clutches going :worried:

Is there anything i can check to see if this is the case?

Took it to renault, regarding the on going into 1st gear. As they could not make the fault happen again. They sent me on my way.

I would just say it's not right and I'm not happy keep it till its sorted and give me a curtesy car.

The car has been upto renault for a "check emmissions" light 3 times. And this gearbox twice.

They have supplied a CC but i have had to pay for the insurance! If im honest im fed up with the dealer in orpington.

I am in touch with RUK regarding the problems. But as they could not make the fault happen i just get fobbed of.

When pressing on the clutch pedal, should the resistance be felt straight away?

As when pressing down there is a few inches of the clutch pedal being light. And then i can feel the resistance.

:smile:

When pressing on the clutch pedal, should the resistance be felt straight away?

As when pressing down there is a few inches of the clutch pedal being light. And then i can feel the resistance.

:smile:

there is an amount of "dead travel" on the pedal - but the clutch is quite light on the clio i find compared to some cars

have you tried it on a level flat road - put it in first and without any revs see how far the pedal comes up before drive is taken up - if it moves when the pedal has hardly moved this is usually a good sign of all is not well

there is an amount of "dead travel" on the pedal - but the clutch is quite light on the clio i find compared to some cars

have you tried it on a level flat road - put it in first and without any revs see how far the pedal comes up before drive is taken up - if it moves when the pedal has hardly moved this is usually a good sign of all is not well

Thanks Fox speed. I shall try this in a sec.

Just tried this, seems ok (I think).

But i can still, push lightly and slowly on the clutch pedal and it still goes all the way to the floor. Just hope this is normal for th 197....

tiababy had the same issue, i dont recall her saying its sorted but you could try contact her?

as far as i know the clutch pedal should only go to the floor when your foot pushes it all the way to the floor

my clutch starts to drive over half way lifted, i thought this was a bad sign of a high biting point/worn clutch?

Last edited:
tiababy had the same issue, i dont recall her saying its sorted but you could try contact her?

as far as i know the clutch pedal should only go to the floor when your foot pushes it all the way to the floor

my clutch starts to drive over half way lifted, i thought this was a bad sign of a high biting point/worn clutch?

it can be but i was more pointing them to an hydraulic issue - ie a "soft" pedal

Could anyone check this for me?

If pressing down on the clutch pedal lightly, it will go right down to the floor without any resistance?

Matt

Could anyone check this for me?

If pressing down on the clutch pedal lightly, it will go right down to the floor without any resistance?

Matt

just to clear this up

do you mean that when its pushed as you say "lightly" there is no resistance and it does not work the clutch ie wont go in to gear?

if that is a "yes" it is faulty and "could be" the clutch master cylinder !

just to clear this up

do you mean that when its pushed as you say "lightly" there is no resistance and it does not work the clutch ie wont go in to gear?

if that is a "yes" it is faulty and "could be" the clutch master cylinder !

Just checked.

When pressing down lightly on the clutch (It goes to the floor) There is no resistance. And it will not go into gear.

Am i right in saying, when pressing the clutch lightly or with normal weight there should be resistance?

Sorry about the wording. Im not great with explaining things :smile:

Matt

Just checked.

When pressing down lightly on the clutch (It goes to the floor) There is no resistance. And it will not go into gear.

Am i right in saying, when pressing the clutch lightly or with normal weight there should be resistance?

Sorry about the wording. Im not great with explaining things :smile:

Matt

yes should work EVERY time irrespective of pedal pressure

what you are saying its faulty

could be master cylinder - check the brake fluid level as this supplies the clutch system as well - if the level is correct then the seal in the master cylinder could be at fault - htere have been a few on here with them faulty