Clio Meg RS320bhp conversion (update Meg Rad)

I've no experience with floating discs myself, but a guy I do some work for is in to tuning his Ferraris, when he fitted some floating ones to his old 430 he said they rattled like f*ck, but he thought it was hilarious as he thought it sounded like a race car and everyone on the street thought it was broken. :smiley:

I've no experience with floating discs myself, but a guy I do some work for is in to tuning his Ferraris, when he fitted some floating ones to his old 430 he said they rattled like f*ck, but he thought it was hilarious as he thought it sounded like a race car and everyone on the street thought it was broken. :smiley:

It's funny cause if you apply any logic, like I said, how could they not rattle????

Performance friction 330mm brakes fitted about a week now...Bloody hell they are noisy!!!!! Sounds like somethings broken or about to fall off on the car....lol

Must admit I thought, this must be wrong or worn until I read this on Meganesport...

http://www.meganesport.net/community...mance+friction

and then this....

http://www.meganesport.net/community...ght=Belleville

Not sure I can live with them though.....

I'll do a swap with some godspeed 330mm discs and bells :book:

This is really weird now. Some say they rattle and some don't. How is that possible then? Unless of course the non rattling ones are the ones that have been converted to non floating using those rings? But on the other hand I'm sure that the floating disks that some expensive cars get from the factory don't rattle...bizarre

Last edited:
It's worrying that you can spend so much on discs and have such an annoying issue. I'm tempted to get some but the price and rattling puts me off

Floating discs make some noise, accept it. You're putting a race car set-up onto a road car. If you don't like it either get 2 piece fixed discs or solid discs.

Floating discs make some noise, accept it. You're putting a race car set-up onto a road car. If you don't like it either get 2 piece fixed discs or solid discs.

So you buy a brand new RS6 (or similar), drive it off the dealers, press the brake pedal and there is noise? I don't think so, I've been in/driven cars with floating discs and there is no braking noise whatsoever. Unless of course there are different types of floating discs, race/road etc. Or maybe I'm missing something.

So you buy a brand new RS6 (or similar), drive it off the dealers, press the brake pedal and there is noise? I don't think so, I've been in/driven cars with floating discs and there is no braking noise whatsoever. Unless of course there are different types of floating discs, race/road etc. Or maybe I'm missing something.

An RS6 doesn't have floating discs. Race Cars have floating discs, do you know what a floating disc is?

Rs6 Disc, 1 piece.

IMG_0984.gif

Floating Disc

CP8080Z14SD.jpg

Look to be, some high end kits like brembo and alcon use springs to prevent the noise on road cars.

So this is what I was missing then, thanks for the info.

Going back to the pf kit Litchy has, is that possible that they are missing something similar, or according to K-tec the ''Belleville washers under the retaining ring that keeps the brakes nice and quiet for road use''?

So this is what I was missing then, thanks for the info.

Going back to the pf kit Litchy has, is that possible that they are missing something similar, or according to K-tec the ''Belleville washers under the retaining ring that keeps the brakes nice and quiet for road use''?

To make them quiet and floating there are different ways, I had an alcon kit on a trackday car and they had springs. Here's how brembo do it in the rs4 kit you're talking about:

Brembo_float3.jpg

If you look at the top the little piece of metal stops the vibrating/rattle.

If you send me a link to what you're talking about I'll have a look.

Last edited:
I've had high end Brembo's on my BM which cost over 2 grand. These are much more track focused (cheap - although were as much as £1000 new). These are noisy but if my car was track focused, I wouldn't care. Unfortunately it isn't so as a daily they need to go. I will however have a good look at them tmw off the car. When they were refurbished, the washers were replaced so I'll check that it was put back together as it should be. There is also a superb engineer company locally that may be able to do something....Failing that selling for £250 which represents a bargain to a track orientated car (even if s bit noisy)

Last edited:
Mine 330mm did some "tick tick tick" sounds when i turned right or left.. I never understood why.. I removed them and fitted a new set of cliocup discs.. the noise disappeared