197: Clio...a little too hardcore for everyday????

if you want to compare a 197/200, especially with cup suspension to other marques, then you have to look at the equivalent model.

So a boggo-lux 3 series isnt the same, but say an M3 CS, or even CSL is. A full fat 911 isnt the same, but a GT3/GT3 RS is much closer to the mark.

And they are similar in the way they are stiff, bumby at low speeds, are not the most economical vehicles to run etc.

But as said, its all down to your needs and requirements. For me, getting into something that is pleasant enough to drive day to day, but comes alive when on track and pushed on does it for me.

But if the stiff suspension, low-ish mpg, etc etc get you down, then evidently something a bit more.... comfort focused is the car for you. Something the germans do very well!

But then dont cry into your cornflakes when its a lifeless barg with no excitment down a twisty B road!

if you want to compare a 197/200, especially with cup suspension to other marques, then you have to look at the equivalent model.

So a boggo-lux 3 series isnt the same, but say an M3 CS, or even CSL is. A full fat 911 isnt the same, but a GT3/GT3 RS is much closer to the mark.

And they are similar in the way they are stiff, bumby at low speeds, are not the most economical vehicles to run etc.

But as said, its all down to your needs and requirements. For me, getting into something that is pleasant enough to drive day to day, but comes alive when on track and pushed on does it for me.

But if the stiff suspension, low-ish mpg, etc etc get you down, then evidently something a bit more.... comfort focused is the car for you. Something the germans do very well!

But then dont cry into your cornflakes when its a lifeless barg with no excitment down a twisty B road!

Deffinately! My 200 Cup is the best drivers car ive ever owned. Its raw and does what its designed to do extremely well with minimal creature comforts to distract from this.

If you wanted refined, mile munchers then your in the wrong place, the Meganes are that way ->

is the steering in the 200 any heavier than the 197?

i only wish the 197 was as nice to steer at 30-40mph as it is when your doing 50+ pushing it through twisty stuff

compared to my 1.6 clio3 my 197 is a milemuncher!

Last edited:
disagree, i have mine as a daily driver and its deffo not a grown up 'mans' car either! i love driving mine every day, but one day i will grow up and and if i could afford it i'd love to keep it as a sunday car, could you do that?

Whether the clio is too hard core or not for daily use is purely personal opinion! I drive 100 miles a day to and from work from mid essex down to east london and would HATE to drive my 200 to and from work, so instead have a run around (1.3 cdti corsa) during the week and only use clio once or twice week (usually sunday mornings :smile:
However, if i did a comute like my dads which is 40 mile round trip which includes really nice b-roads that are actually quite quiet, then hell yeah i'd take the clio every day!
So all depends on mileage and what your willing to 'put up with' if you know what i mean.

How so? We still have a lot less snow/ice than many european nations? That's a ludicrous comment!

I never said we didnt this car is a suggested daily and as i said its just my opinion like it or lump it. Im entitled to it as much as your entitled to go and buy a RWD car. However which drivetrain is best is a debate for another thread.

Sounds to me like you need a nice strong cup of man the f*ck up and a track day :wink:

Lol.

On a serious note, you sounded as if you had some good plans/ ideas for the car, would be a shame not to see this in motion. Also my mate has just sold his 08 s3, his was running around 350hp with a few bolt on bits and some revo software I think. But even with that power, he said it was still pretty boring and lifeless and he sold up for a 350z. Dunno if that helps.

Lol.

On a serious note, you sounded as if you had some good plans/ ideas for the car, would be a shame not to see this in motion. Also my mate has just sold his 08 s3, his was running around 350hp with a few bolt on bits and some revo software I think. But even with that power, he said it was still pretty boring and lifeless and he sold up for a 350z. Dunno if that helps.

Funny cause my comments were never about wanting something equal to the clio or buying something more exciting or buying a S3 to mess with....or even bloody selling the clio yet.

Just a observation about living with it as a daily....

Your right though, would be great to have a clio (not a daily) that was making 300 bhp but will depend on whether my head rules my heart....

Funny cause my comments were never about wanting something equal to the clio or buying something more exciting or buying a S3 to mess with....or even bloody selling the clio yet.

Just a observation about living with it as a daily....

Your right though, would be great to have a clio (not a daily) that was making 300 bhp but will depend on whether my head rules my heart....

Just trying to make the comparison on the two. Going from the clio, you might be left feeling wanting a bit more in the excitment department. We'll see how mikelyr27' charged project goes.

Lol.

Just trying to make the comparison on the two. Going from the clio, you might be left feeling wanting a bit more in the excitment department. We'll see how mikelyr27' charged project goes.

No problem greg and valid point. I guess we are all looking to Mikes car (fingers crossed).