Clio 197 vs Corsa VXR

Cheers guys! They do handle awesome i'll give them that, only gripe is the lack of torque. What i do like is i've seen about 2 197's and 1 200 since i got the car compared to loads of vxr's. Everytime i go the trafford centre you can spot a couple.

Yeah the vxr is simple to get big figures but i always had in the back of my mind piston no.4 flying out the side of the engine haha..not cool. And don't get me started on wheel bearings. That aside it had awesome grunt for its size.

Only one I can think was LYMike whose engine put a cylinder through the block IIRC, not bad for the number sold IMO

Yeah mine was changed under warranty, con rod straight through the block. Strombringer had a new unit but not coz it blew.

It was standard when it blew. Just unlucky tbh. Engine was mint, regular oil changes and early servicing, always ran for 20 mins smoothly before any thrashings. Nothing I did. Car is designed to be revved, Renault never came back and said I abused it. Not put me off tho, like i said I was unlucky.

Only heard about the one engine that was chaged under warranty on here, other stuff has been minor. Hopefully it'll stay that way too! Nice car, it is rare to see a FF 197 in white.

did FF's not have recaros, red Brembo's and xenons?

Recaros and xenons are optional on the FF, red callipers were only available on the cup

my 197 isnt a cup.

i have red Brembos, xenons but not recaros. guessing this isnt a FF, as it stands for FULL FAT? which would insinuate highest spec?

Last edited:
i know the person who owned the car before me had the wheels/door handles and mirror fronts sprayed a different colour.

but how can you tell the diff between cup/normal 197?

meaning he could of had side strips sprayed too as this is only reason i know of (visual) to tell the difference.

yes but not all of them have the cup chassis. depends on if it's specced for the 197.
keyless entry is standard on 197 non cup.
from what I've been told the cup pack lowers the car, different alloys and red painted callipers.

The easiest things to tell the difference between the cup and FF (which just refers to cars that are not cups, not top spec cars) is the exterior trim. Cup cars have textured black door strips, door handles and mirror caps. Then they don't have keyless entry or go. Even further is that the dash is hard plastic and you can see the passenger airbag cut out. A/C was an option. Interior door handles are replaced by a hole in the door and the steering wheel isn't leather. No cruise control. The FF has all this as standard, but the options include Recaros (6 cd not available with this option), Xenons (which includes auto lights and wipers), Climate, 6 cd changer, projector headlights, cup pack, sunroof, sat nav (on later cars), better stereo, leather (on later cars), cup spoiler. Cup's weren't available with ultra red or albi blue paint. Only R27 limited edition 197s are available with Liquid yellow paint. Early 197s had higher emmissions than later ones. Think that's it, but someone will know doubt correct me if I am wrong!

Hope it helps anyway.

Haven driven my friends VXR plenty of times and my Clio for about 10k (over a 2 year period) the grunt the VXR's have down below is pretty good but the Clio keeps up once it hits the mid rev ranges and then passes with ease near enough.

When i had a play around with my mate she was driving her VXR and i was in my R27, i was stuck behind her round the roundabout. Off the roundabout i was glued until the straightened up and she got me until i caught up and then i passed her with great ease (shes a petrol head that does karting and stuff so she ain't a typical woman).

So i would def pick the Clio still, even with the VXR's tuning potential.

As said, red callipers on a full fat either means you have the cup pack or someone painted the callipers

That 197 is virtually the same engine-wise (on paper at least) as mine. Winning. :wink: