boot leak :(

Hello

T'other day I was in the boot and noticed the rear carpet was damp. Further investigation i found moisture in the tool kit and what not :worried: So removed the carpet and parcel shelf last weekend in the hot weather to dry it out. I've left these out for now, just checked the boot and there's water in it again after a 20 mile journey.... (should have checked before i left really)

Where's the favourite places for it to gain entry?? This is the first RS Clio i've had with a leak in, and I've had 5 lol!

Cheers

I would take it into renault and get them to sort it mate, is it still under warranty?

'T'other day I was in the boot...' I read this and first thing I thought of was you just sitting in the boot lol

At a glance i thought the thread said 'boost leak'! got me a little excited lol :wink:

Sorry i'll stop spamming now.

Edit/// wrong kind of leak, tried a search of the forum? I'm sure someones had the same issue.....

Last edited:
Lol it ain't going anywhere near Renault as I use birchdown.... Its just out of warranty also. I'll have a good look at the weekend. Just wish id looked before I went out, as this could have shown if its rain getting in, or it ingressing whilst driving :worried:

Right oh, to try and to find what the fault actually is, just had a quick nose,

leak3.jpg

Water in mine seems to be coming in then running down this box section, which then leaks out into the tool recess.....

Just whipped out the rear cluster, and sealed round these for now, (they have foam seals)

leak2.jpg

But my money is on these bad boys. They are clipped in right behind the offending box section, and water running down from the roof follows this exact path. They are only sealed to the body by foam, but its a bumper off job to get at them,

leak1.jpg

Once the sealant has dried tonight around the clusters, I'll pour some water over it when i get home later. I'll check again in the morning to see if there's more water. If there is, i'll update

Gaz.

Yes, I have had water in the boot, the tool tray was soaked and the tools going rusty. Renault have had a look, infact they had 3 days of looking and I'm not sure the problem has been fixed. I checked a few days after they 'fixed it' and it was wet in there. So I dried it out and haven't looked since.

The water in mine was only ever in the bottom of the tool tray and underneath it. The under side of the carpet was very damp, but the top of the carpet was dry. So there isn't a great deal getting it. It appears to be coming from under the boot floor somewhere on the left hand side, running down and in to the lowest part (tool tray area). There was a small rubber gromit in the boot floor that was far too small for the hole in which it was supposed to be blocking. Renault Wolverhampton have replaced this and it now actually fits.

As I say, I will have to go and have a look and see what the state of play is with it now, but I'm not taking any bets that it's wet again, I know I would loose huge quantities of cash! Lol!

Yes, mine is on the left side, but actually tracing back, the box section is wet coming from the O/S. So it seems to run through the box section to the N/S then trickle into the tool recess.

Last edited:
Might be worth me looking there actually. I was going to get some help with putting the pressure washer in the wheel arch and then sitting in the boot to see if I can see it. If there is no joy with that then I'll take the boot apart.

Mines happening with the car standing in rain. We had a proper thundery shower yesterday, I already had the carpet out, with the boot dry. With an hour of the storm there was water pooling in the boot and the boxsection had standing water in it

leak4.jpg

^The way I see it when the water runs down the boot pillar, past the cluster them bung/boot stoppers are bang in the way, so water must be going around it. But on mine i reckon its seeping past the foam seal into that box section. Well thats my take!

Could well be mate, sounds like a good diagnosis to me! Lol! Would make more sense too tbh, I will have to look in to it further.

Well, sealing the lights didn't solve it. So, looking at bumper off this weekend and seal round these boot stoppers and any other areas I can see

Right! Very productive day today, 99% sure its sorted.

So, before we started, been riding round with no boot interior, this included the tool kit, carpet, rear trim and parcel shelf

WP_000074.jpg

WP_000073.jpg

As the bumper is coming off for full diagnosis, rear lights have to come out. x3 T20 screws, then pull the clusters towards you. Once off, I then removed the rear wheels, and diffuser, which is held by x2 13mm nuts and x2 T20's.This left it looking like this,

WP_000075.jpg

Then with the wheels removed it made removing part of the rear arch liners easier. Each side is held by x2 T20's, one near the bumper join, and one underneath, and plastic washer near the rear damper. Removed,

WP_000076.jpg

WP_000081.jpg

WP_000079.jpg

So, once all that is off, time to remove the bumper. Quite surprised to find its just the skin, the rear crash inserts are bolted to the car. Its help by another T20 on each side @ the bumper join the the rear quarter panel. Once removed, the bumper is just clipped in to the quarter panels. few swift tugs, sees them free :wink:

WP_000082.jpg

Once removed, your faced with this,

WP_000083.jpg

Bingo, found the issue,

WP_000085.jpg

WP_000086.jpg

^ Both the seals round the vents have split and perished, you can see them just hanging off. Water runs down the boot channel, straight on top of these. These clip into the box section which fills with water, then finds its way into the boot/tool recess........

So Removed the vents, cleaned up the area on the body work, and cracked out the clear silicone!

WP_000089.jpg

Then, reattached the seals on the vents,

WP_000087.jpg

WP_000088.jpg

At this point it started to rain, so never got any more pics. But basically, I clipped the vents back in, and rebuilt the car. I've just checked the boot, and there is no sigh of any more water ingress, so fingers crossed. I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days, and report any findings

Cheers

Last edited:
Wow, big job mate. Well done for that. Might have to print the pics off and take them in to Renault Wolverhampton! Lol! Haven't checked mine, but I think the water is still getting in. Would put money on it being this after you have explained where yours was coming from and where it was ending up.

Yup, just checked again, still dry after more rain last night. I can now throw the boot carpet in again :smile:

Going to check mine when the missus gets back home from work in it I think. Need to get it booked in again whilst it's still under warranty.