Replacing inner CV boot

Hi folks.

The inner CV boot on my right hand side driveshaft is split. It's a 2009 RS200.

Is this inner boot replaceable, or does it require a new driveshaft? And does anyone have the correct part number? I'm seeing conflicting information around.

My plan was:
  • undo lower balljoint on hub
  • remove driveshaft (Does the driveshaft just pull out after removing the big nut holding it to the hub? And do I need to drain the transmission oil when removing the right hand driveshaft?)
  • Remove old boot, pull the joint apart and put a new boot on- but this is where I'm not sure if it's replacable?
  • Any additional tips are welcome!

Thanks

At the time I changed both drive shafts as one had a leaking outer boot the SNR remanufactured shafts were about £130 each one outer boot was about £52 for genuine and about the same amount of work to change with no worries and not having to split the shaft to fit the boot. If you don't need the car for a few days pull them and measure the boots as I found after market boots for the same part number had different measurements.

Yes they can be rebuilt and your method is pretty good.

I undo and tie up the brake calliper out of the way, and undo the stabiliser link and track rod.
One the shaft is out of the hub, you can turn the disc/hub outwards, and slide the shaft through the gap you’ve just created.

There’s 2 13mm bolts holding the drives shaft into the carrier attached to the block.

Thanks folks. Do I need to drain the gearbox oil before removing the drive side driveshaft? I've seen some comments saying it only needs to be drained for the left hand side one?

Could be wrong but i’m fairly sure you’ll get some oil come out removing either side?
either way you could let it leak out and top it up rather than draining the whole lot

Yeah Ethan's right. You'll get a bit, but nothing a piece of rag can't sort out.
Just put it in the hole whilst you've got the shaft out.

Reactions: EthanMenace
OK, just getting round to this- does anyone know the part no for the inner drivers side CV boot? I can't seem to find it anywhere- only ones that are advertised as near side (passenger)!

I've ordered a Febi boot- will update next week if it fits or not! Once I've put the adjustable top mounts on, polybushed the suspension, replaced the sump gasket and replace the steering bush :sweatsmile: