Are 197/200 really collectable??

Are the modern day clio's really that collectable? For me since the trophy, Renault now think throwing a few stickers on a clio and giving it a number 1-500 or 1-50 is enough. Then charge 20k for the pleasure.
Come on Renault, send off the 200 in style before the next gen with a stripped out 200R, rather than muggin' us off , selling 200's that you couldn't shift by callin' them special....Paint and ticking the options list really doesn't make them collectable.

Last edited:
At the risk of a flame attack, I think you could throw the whole (modern) Gordini range into that argument too.

Don't get me wrong, I like the R27 and I think it has it's own identity with the stickerpack but if they'd have gone that extra step and given it an LSD like they did with the R26 then I think it would've been a bit more ''special'' edition. Same with the Gordini, I like the colour scheme but I don't see why they're at a premium over other models for what is basically a trim change. The Silverstone GP, again, I like it and I like the fact that RUK are throwing in a free trackday as they are also doing with the Meg' Trohpy but a paint colour and a plaque does not a special edition make.

I'd love to see a 200R!!! Or a 200 Trophy with an LSD/trick suspension etc. as a final aurevoir.

Renault do have form though. Williams. Original. Williams 2 & 3 undid the ''limited'' bit for me.

I have to agree with both points, I don't think enough thought and effort is being put into things. The whole point of a special edition is to be...SPECIAL!

Last edited:
there will only 1 williams 1 trophy so you cant call the nxt clio either
as for the 197 the R27 in LY will be collectable 200 no
thats just my opinion

nope :thumbsup:

unless your in to your renaultsport clios then they are:foxspeed:

As another owner of a LY Clio R27 I do agree that they could have done a little bit more with them to set them apart.

I think that Renaults concern will always be not selling the whole run of limited numbers hence being conservative with the stuff they add on. Don't forget they never sell in huge numbers a la GTi etc. Adding a diff to the Clio would have added £500 at least to the price and that is possible something the marketing guys thought was too much.

Lets not forget that companies are run by shareholders these days, who want a regular ROI, as such decisions are always stopped short of reaching their potential!

If you are looking for a collectable model wait for the 200 williams :thumbsup:

d163e_New-Renault-Clio-Williams-Front-Angle-View-570x375.jpg

Hope it doesn't disappoint, that car would have a lot to live up to.

Thinking about this, if I were Renault I would end the line with a special edition combining the best bits of the outgoing and incoming models. For example we could have had an R27 with the 200 engine if they had timed it right. I would like to see this happen when the 200 reaches the end of production...

Depends what you term as collectable, I'm on my 3rd Renaultsport this year, I think they are all collectable to the right person, most people collect something. My excuse when the gf starts off is to use the excuse, 'well women collect pairs of shoes, and you can only wear one pair at a time!'

I think they will become more collectable in mint condition once they have been around for 10-15 years and the young drivers have wrote a large number of them off

A rare colour R27 will be more perhaps. Over 140 ly ones, only 36 racing blue!

A rare colour R27 will be more perhaps. Over 140 ly ones, only 36 racing blue!

Think the fact that Renault always seem to use the LY cars for press releases, just get the feeling that in the 197, it will be the most sort after. Funny though cause the Megs, its the white ones that seems to be the most collectable...

If mine keeps half its value after 3 years I'll be happy. Probably doubtful though. Like always, if someone wants one at the time you get decent money, if not its a waiting game or sell for less.

There might be a small premium for the specials, but truly collectable, no chance...

Last edited:
I think special editions will always be collectible to someone, but so will models with rare options added on. As will models that are seen as 'fully loaded' with all the options.

The problem is everyone want something different in a car they collect, be it a certain year/revised model/colour/option/edition etc so it really is Anyones guess what will be deemed as collectable.

If mine keeps half its value after 3 years I'll be happy. Probably doubtful though. Like always, if someone wants one at the time you get decent money, if not its a waiting game or sell for less.

There might be a small premium for the specials, but truly collectable, no chance...

If it keeps half it's value after 1 year you'll be lucky lol lol