AG 200 Stolen

MarkPDoyle

Paid Member
I just thought I would put up a post about my experience over the past two days. I went to bed as normal on Thursday at 11 and got up for work at half 5 on Friday. When I woke up on the Friday I went to close my bedroom window and when looking out across my driveway realised my car had gone.

I called the police immediately and to their credit an officer was round to take a statement within 15 minutes. Whilst taking my statement he received a radio message to advise that my car had already been recovered and taken to the local Mansfield Group depot, he didn't have any information however as to the cars condition or how, when and where it was recovered.

This is where my experience with the police somewhat deteriorates. I called the police numerous times throughout Friday to try and ascertain the cars condition and the pertinent information surrounding how it was recovered. Unfortunately no one I spoke with had any information to give and nor could they advise an approximate time frame as to when I could collect the car. The CID came to my home at around half 9 on Friday evening and they to had absolutely no information to give as to my cars condition or how, when and where it was recovered. They did however advise me that I would be liable for vehicle recovery costs and daily costs for everyday the car is held within The Mansfield Groups depot. This was the first I had heard of any monetary liability even though I had advised everyone I spoke to within the police that if at all possible I did not want to claim on my car insurance.

I spoke with The Mansfield Group yesterday morning and the depot manager advised me that there didn't appear to be a mark on my car. To cut a long story short following more calls to the police I had the car released from the depot yesterday morning and I collected the car and drove it to a secure lock up. The car doesn't appear to have a mark on it inside or out but the "CHECK ABS" and "CHECK ESP" warning lights are both on. Does any body have any idea what could have caused these warning lights to come on? Could it just be due to the car being towed on to the recovery truck?

The car is booked into Renault to have a full lock change and to have a mechanical examination to ascertain if there is any damage to engine or chassis. From the 15 minute drive from the depot to the lock up the car appeared to drive as normal, though I'm not sure if the brake pedal felt a bit longer.

I've chased the police again this morning because I am still yet to be told anything about how, when and where the car was recovered. Looking at the fuel gauge the needle has only moved from on 3/4 of a tank to just where you can see the 3/4 line so I don't think the thieves could have got far. My worry is the car was involved in a chase and driven at speed over speed bumps or kerbs etc.

Should anyone have their car stolen the cost incurred is an initial recovery cost and a daily charge for every day the car is in the recovery depot after the car has been forensically processed. Up until the car is processed no daily charges are incurred.

Apologies for the long post, I just wanted to advise people of the cost involved should your car be stolen as it has taken me 2 days to be advised how the costs are charged and it's really information you should be told immediately.

Sorry to hear this-

Lots of 197's & 200's being stolen-

I have nothing to add on the police front- however all stolen & recovered cars are recorded CAT D-

However I dont know what triggers this through the DVLA the police or the insurance-

So if you dont claim Im not sure whether your car will be catagorised...?

Steve

Really crap mate but least you got it back, you from Mansfield?? Never seen a AG about it is all. Defo going to make sure mines locked away at night far to many thefts of these atm

I live in Liverpool mate, yeah I'm not sure about being classified Cat D or not. The depot manager at Mansfield Group said their form had it listed as abandoned, not stolen and recovered. I'm hoping with me not claiming on the insurance it might not get classified as Cat D. In saying that though if there's any mechanical damage I'll end up having to claim. I'm just hoping the two warning lights are nothing

Sorry to here this mate, Could the lights be down to them possibly disconecting the battery?. When i disconect the battery and reconnect it on my R26 the ESP light remains on, All you have to do is turn the wheel lock to lock and it goes out. It must be similar to the system on the R26.

Not good mate, I've had similar experience of police when one ofmy cars was stolen and burnt out.. I had to pay for various crap on what was just a charred shell.

I doubt you will have it classed as a D.

Cheers Kev I hope not mate. It's just so frustrating to not know how, when and where it was recovered, surely that very basic information should be readily available from the police. I'm hoping Renault can reset the lights when the new keys are reprogrammed and that there isn't any underlying damage or faults.

Really disconcerting to know someone has broken into your house send stolen your car while you've been asleep in bed

Cheers Kev I hope not mate. It's just so frustrating to not know how, when and where it was recovered, surely that very basic information should be readily available from the police. I'm hoping Renault can reset the lights when the new keys are reprogrammed and that there isn't any underlying damage or faults.

Really disconcerting to know someone has broken into your house send stolen your car while you've been asleep in bed

Indeed mate. The toe rags seem to have a real thing for R Sports at the mo :worried:

Broke into my house for the keys whilst I was asleep mate. I didn't hear a thing, just woke up to find the car, keys, my work bag and cash I had by the keys gone

I've been lucky though in that I don't think they've got very far before the police have recovered the car, though I'm not sure how it was recovered yet

Last edited:
Dreadful to hear this sorta story. But the main thing was you weren't hurt etc. Much easier to get the car fixed or replaced. Same cant be said if the thieves ruffed you up to get the keys.

Definitely mate. Providing there's nothing wrong mechanically all I'll need to do is get the locks changed, I've been a lot more fortunate than some who have their car stolen

Really sorry to hear this mate, however, pleased it ended positvely and you got you car back without any major damage.

I normally keep my car in either a garage or on my drive, but if I keep my car on my drive I always taken my car keys upstairs to my bedroom so if anyone breaks in downstairs they won't be able to find the keys, and if they did break into my car the ecu imobilises itself as standard with all 197 and 200's so they won't be able to get very far. Touch wood it won't happen.

In regards to the CHECK ABS" and "CHECK ESP warning message and light, I have had that come up randomly 2 times in the space of over a year, however the car and brakes are still fine to drive. As soon as you restart the car they go off, not sure if it's a faulty sensor but touch wood it hasn't appeared since. Maybe when the idiots went over the speed bumps fast it may have nudged a ABS sensor out of place.

My dad has his Audi Avant robbed back in 2008 which was early hours of the morning. Found it 4 miles down the road the next day and was parked near a block of flats. Because the thieves had taken the keys with them, my dad only had a spare but with no imobiliser in it so could only open the door. The recovery trucks only option was to basically drag the car out of the parking space backwards and then do the same from the front to get it on the truck. The recovery bloke said that its a common procedure to drag them as the thief is always going to go back and get the car. Once the new locks etc were fitted, the abs light and a few others were lit on the dash along with the solid feeling brake. This could only be put down to the recovery truck dragging it and was also confirmed. However, he did not get any form of bills for recovery of the car or where it was sat in a compound for almost a week. Was down on the database as a stolen/ recovered but didnt class it as a CAT D. It was then wiped from the database once proved he had the car back in his hands. He then part ex'd it 6 months later with no problems from the Audi dealer who done all the possible checks.

Hope this helps mate,

Lew

Cheers Lew, hopefully mine is the same and not classified as Cat D. I was thinking the ABS and ESP light may be due to the car being dragged on to the recovery truck. The doors were open but the thieves still have the keys they stole so similar situation to your Dad. The car will be going to Renault on Tuesday so hopefully once the new keys are reprogrammed the warning lights go out

Bad to hear it, but it's all too common now.

They steal the car keys, move the car a few miles away and just keep an eye on it, if it's still there in a day or two they will take it properly.

Would be great if someone managed to bait them by leaving it there, then do them in when they come back to get it lol

My car hasn't got a tracker, I think I was maybe lucky and the police clocked some known scallies in the car, tried to pull them over and they've just bailed out the car and legged it

Good to hear you got the car back and no obvious signs of damage.

I can just picture it now, big bad criminal boss asks a couple of his boys to go out and steal a car to do a robbery. They pitch back up in a bright green Clio! :nope: