YellowSpeed any good?

Going off topic here, what is the advantages and disadvantages to the separate rear spring? I always just thought the true coilover was "better", but didn't really know why?

Space, as there is limited space where the damper sits (why some people have rubbing issues using Gaz Golds), it's harder to run monotube dampers on true coilovers (as it has a bigger damper body traditionally compared to a twin tube damper, so then needs a bigger diameter spring, as there isn't much room it doesn't work in many cases).
You can run a softer spring on a true coilover, due to the motion ratio (I am not sure what it is for the Clio, but for my E36 it is 2:1, whereas on the damper it's 1:1), most companies offer "progressive" aka "non-linear" springs when they're inboard, so this gives a softer feel during normal driving, but then they are in the stiffer region when pushing, whereas true coilovers run linear springs (space being one of the biggest problems again).
Another thing can be the mounting points on some cars, they weren't designed to have a spring acting against it, so they need reinforcing on the top mounts (like my E36, they're known for cracking when running true coilovers, I've never read of a Clio doing this though).

There are probably more i've missed, like i've said previously there is no right or wrong, some prefer 1 design compared to the other. Then there is cost etc.

The YSRs are a good separate spring and damper design on rear / front coilover, as the front height adjustment is independent to the spring preload (whereas B14s the height you set then dictates the preload) also on the rear you set the ride height off the spring adjuster on YSRs, then you set the "droop" off the damper adjuster, which the B14s don't have.

Reactions: Sean197 and av4625
Space, as there is limited space where the damper sits (why some people have rubbing issues using Gaz Golds), it's harder to run monotube dampers on true coilovers (as it has a bigger damper body traditionally compared to a twin tube damper, so then needs a bigger diameter spring, as there isn't much room it doesn't work in many cases).
You can run a softer spring on a true coilover, due to the motion ratio (I am not sure what it is for the Clio, but for my E36 it is 2:1, whereas on the damper it's 1:1), most companies offer "progressive" aka "non-linear" springs when they're inboard, so this gives a softer feel during normal driving, but then they are in the stiffer region when pushing, whereas true coilovers run linear springs (space being one of the biggest problems again).
Another thing can be the mounting points on some cars, they weren't designed to have a spring acting against it, so they need reinforcing on the top mounts (like my E36, they're known for cracking when running true coilovers, I've never read of a Clio doing this though).

There are probably more i've missed, like i've said previously there is no right or wrong, some prefer 1 design compared to the other. Then there is cost etc.

The YSRs are a good separate spring and damper design on rear / front coilover, as the front height adjustment is independent to the spring preload (whereas B14s the height you set then dictates the preload) also on the rear you set the ride height off the spring adjuster on YSRs, then you set the "droop" off the damper adjuster, which the B14s don't have.

Thanks for that, I didnt realise that the yellow speed had separate preload and height adjustment until your comments, gaz gold doesn't have this right?

Thanks for that, I didnt realise that the yellow speed had separate preload and height adjustment until your comments, gaz gold doesn't have this right?

No I don't think it does, but then again it has different tech in it, like a internal cushion etc.
Everything is a compromise, if you want the best race suspension with no regulations to abide to, you'll bin the standard suspension and re-design it, but then it will most likely drive like shit on the road.
Vice versa for a road car.
You need to decide what your budget is, then buy accordingly, if your budget can stretch, AST or Nitron 2 or 3-way will be amazing, but then it's 5x the YSR and 3x Gaz Golds.

Reactions: av4625
I've just fitted a set of Yellowspeed cpilovers to my 200 Cup. I went for the stiffer springs because I really only use the car for trackdays.
Front 8kg, Rear 7kg spring rates.
With the damping set to full soft its suprisingly compliant on the road.
Lovely quality kit, adjustable top mounts etc. For the money I can't really offer any negatives.
I did however have to do some surgery to the front turrets to allow me to adjust the camber without dropping the strut out to do it.
There are some pictures on my instagram, can't work out how to post on here - #beardedwebb

Reactions: Sean197 and Mb26