YellowSpeed any good?

Just got an RS200 FF with cup suspension, which I was going to keep standard, but the suspension is harsh on the road, but WAY too soft on the track.

good fun.. but really needs stiffer springs and dampers..
Couple of laps here

KTR sell recommend YellowSpeed - does anyone have any good or bad experience of these dampers compared to the stock, and to more exotic and expensive dampers available?

I’ve no experience with the YS coilovers. But ultimately you’re going to have to compromise somewhere.

Something which is smooth and compliant on the road, and stiff on track, doesn’t exist.

Reactions: suj
Thanks for the reply - Noted. My badly made point is that the standard suspension is so harsh on the road that I may as well go full track day set up.
Yellow speed seems like a good choice because it has adjustable top mounts, adjustable spring platforms, and a lot of damper clicks. And is cheap.. seems too good to be true !!
Money no object AST would be the choice (had a passenger ride yesterday in a Clio 2 with those fitted... the difference is massive!!! But I never planned to spend £3k on dampers, when the car didn’t cost much more than that..hence the question on yellow speed.

They seem to get good reviews and it’s about time someone filled the gap between B14s and Gaz Golds. @R5BTC has run them on track for a while now. I’d be getting them for the adjustable dampening alone, top mounts are an added bonus.

Reactions: R5BTC and suj
I did some research and was going to get a set of Yellow Speeds until I was offered some half price B14s. If you want additional camber and adjustable dampening rates then I am not sure there is much else on the market for that price. From the few comments I have seen about Yellow Speeds they have always been very positive.

I think they're great value for money, they are monotube front and rear dampers (B14 is only front Monotube), they have damping adjustment, you can set height separately from preload (can set rear droop), then they also come with adjustable top mounts as standard.

As DS said seeing as they are the same price as B14, but they come with adjustable top mounts (so a good £100-200 saving depending on which ones you buy), I think they're a great buy.

A friend just sold his B14s for them and has said they're so good (I haven't been out in them yet to see first hand).

Last edited:
Reactions: DS197
I did some research and was going to get a set of Yellow Speeds until I was offered some half price B14s. If you want additional camber and adjustable dampening rates then I am not sure there is much else on the market for that price. From the few comments I have seen about Yellow Speeds they have always been very positive.

how are the B14s on track and road ? Bilstein quality HAS to be better .. but lack of adjustment means the valving had got to be spot on..

Thanks

I think they're great value for money, they are monotube front and rear dampers (B14 is only front Monotube)
I originally thought this but was told otherwise. I was told by multiple people they were separate shock and spring on the rear.

Just got an RS200 FF with cup suspension, which I was going to keep standard, but the suspension is harsh on the road, but WAY too soft on the track.

good fun.. but really needs stiffer springs and dampers..
Couple of laps here

KTR sell recommend YellowSpeed - does anyone have any good or bad experience of these dampers compared to the stock, and to more exotic and expensive dampers available?

How are your tyres looking after that! Not sure the suspension is completely to blame there :tearsofjoy:

I had a similar first outing but had to replace all 4 tyres shortly after.. :chair:

I originally thought this but was told otherwise. I was told by multiple people they were separate shock and spring on the rear.

Yes they are separate spring and damper, monotube does not mean a true rear coilover design (with the spring sitting on the damper), it's the design of the damper internals, which is a monotube front and rear on the YSR, B14 are monotube front, twin tube rear.

So I think you've got confused with what mono/twin tube and true coilover is.

Edit: separate spring and damper still works well, pros and cons of both, I run same design on my E36 track car and I did back in 2012 in my old one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helpimonfire
How are your tyres looking after that! Not sure the suspension is completely to blame there :tearsofjoy:

I had a similar first outing but had to replace all 4 tyres shortly after.. :chair:
Just checked and reset pressures. The fronts have had a hard time after 50 laps of the GP circuit... but still 6mm. The shoulder has worn badly - definitely needs more camber...

rears are very good.. I’ll swap them around for the next track day. And now thinking camber adjustment is crucial

Due to having adjustable damping you can change how stiff the ride is can control the body roll on track. I’ve running rear camber shims, fully poly bushed and UR rarb. Although the car is stiff the damping is much better and less harsh than standard.

Due to having adjustable damping you can change how stiff the ride is can control the body roll on track. I’ve running rear camber shims, fully poly bushed and UR rarb. Although the car is stiff the damping is much better and less harsh than standard.

THanks for this feedback...Sounds perfect...a few experts look down their noses on Yellow Speed compared to better known brands...your first hand experience sounds very good.

THanks for this feedback...Sounds perfect...a few experts look down their noses on Yellow Speed compared to better known brands...your first hand experience sounds very good.

Back in 2011 my mate had a Mercedes 190E 2.5-16 Cosworth, we were struggling to find any coilovers (they have separate springs and dampers front and rear), not many people made any, except for YSR who were very new then (in UK basically no one had heard of them). He took the punt, we were so impressed with them when they got delivered, his were top end with separate rebound and compression adjustability, remote reservoirs etc but the quality were there to see.

They are mainly big in Jap car markets, so for them to make them for the Clio is a shock (maybe a pun intended lol), I think they're cracking value for money, I think it will fit your needs much better than the B14, the next step up is Gaz Gold which is £400+ more!

I wouldn't worry about the snobs, most of them have a brand in their head and will never try anything else.

Reactions: Sean197 and R5BTC
I run the road spring set up but there is a track spring rate set you can now get. Tbh I wouldn’t want stiffer rear springs with the rarb on. The fact they are made in Taiwan puts people off, I’m more than happy with the built quality & 2 year guarantee especially at this price point.

I run the road spring set up but there is a track spring rate set you can now get. Tbh I wouldn’t want stiffer rear springs with the rarb on. The fact they are made in Taiwan puts people off, I’m more than happy with the built quality & 2 year guarantee especially at this price point.

BC Coilovers were (probably still are) made in Taiwan, HSD might also.
It's funny these snobs don't realised many parts are made in East Asia, they might be assembled in somewhere like America.

Anywho, that's another story haha.

What rarb do you run? Did you notice much difference with it?

Edit: separate spring and damper still works well, pros and cons of both, I run same design on my E36 track car and I did back in 2012 in my old one.

Going off topic here, what is the advantages and disadvantages to the separate rear spring? I always just thought the true coilover was "better", but didn't really know why?