Would you recommend a 197?

Hi,

Firstly not sure if this is the right section to post this in, so apologies if it's not.

I'm thinking of buying a 197. Previously had a Fiesta ST which had a bit of a problem with parts being stolen such as the spoiler, bumpers and side skirts which apparently came off the car relatively easily. Has anyone had, or heard of, similar problems with their 197? Also any other info/tips (both positive or negative) about the 197 would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Generally if it were a proper renault the parts would just fall of of their own accord....

However they don't :smile: I don't think it suffers from parts being easily removed unless you carry a jack around and a set of torx bits and because they aren't actually very common cars the demand for parts to be stolen is probably not there.

Sorry to hear that mate. Never really heard of anything getting stolen. But really depends on people round you if they want them that bad.
Think its shocking that you have to even worry about things like that.

Welcome. The problem with the ST is that the parts fit normal Fiestas. However, most of the exterior parts on the 197 are unique. For exampe, the wheels are 5 stud, not the normal 4 stud on the lesser Clios. So in terms of that, you should be ok. The spoilers aren't standard either, but if it does have one, it'll be bolted on anyway. The Clio is a great car though, you won't be disappointed.

To add, I think there is a certain subtlety of the Clio particularly the 197, which other Hot Hatches lack.

Get a standard one, without any stick on bits and I think most people don't realise they're much different from a regular Clio.

Welcome Maki!!! :smile:

In a word YES, go and get yourself a 197 and realise what you were missing in your ST. :wink:

As already said, they're subtle but still manage to look so they don't attract unwanted attention...

Last edited:
Welcome maki, where are you from ?

Thanks! I'm from essex, not your typical Essex boy though don't worry =p

I quite like the look of the spoiler on the 197s, hopefully they're bolted on a bit stronger than the ST ones.

I agree it's a shame that you can't have anything nice without having to worry about someone ruining it, but seeing as there's no real deterrent/punishment it's only going to continue.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

welcome mate,

mine is up for sale from next week, :thumbup1:

if you fancy a R/B in great condition (with spoiler),

Honestly do it, Ive had a few cars over the last 2 years and none have been anywhere close to the clio! It just makes you smile :smile:

As for security there aren't many bits they can easily remove, although Im sure if someone wants something they will get it :worried:

Arran got it spot on regarding stolen bits, it just doesn't happen on the 197. I did have my aerial stolen though!

On a more general note, I test drove an ST before the 197 and found the 197 better on just about every level. I was coming from a mk5 fiesta zetec-s and the ST really didn't feel any faster in a straight line and handled much worse. The only place the ST is better is in the comfort/cruising department as the revs are lower at high speed and the suspension is softer.

Definitley go for the 197 mate!! My advice If you do though, avoid Liquid Yellow as it does attract quite a bit of attention.

do it you won't regret it.
wouldn't worry too much about stolen bits as there aren't that many Rs clios around and not much will transfer from an Rs to a standard.

Yes I would get a 197 if I was you.

Parts are not easily removed and tbh I wish they were. My last 197 caught the fancy of someone who wanted the door badges. They don't just slide off and so the sod took a screwdrive to it to wrench them off and busted all the clips on the door strip.

I thoroughly enjoy owning mine, there are compromises associated with a car like this, fuel economy, comfort, etc. but probably little difference from the ST. IMO the interior is a lot nicer than the Mk6/6.5 Fiesta and the build quality is better than I had expected.

Many thanks for all the help guys.

I'm sure you'll all slate me for this, but I've actually bought a Corsa VXR. I prefer the interior to the Clio and it's modified and running 225bhp. Never had a turbo before so it's a very different car to drive to what I'm used to. Test drove it and fell in love with it.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read/post - seems like a decent little forum!

Cheers.

Just make sure you allow the turbo time to cool off after its been driven.
does it have anything uprated or is it standard bar a remap? I've heard remapped CVXR engines are more likely to pop piston 4 then the standard ones are.