Recommend an exhaust for a daily driven 197

First off, I apologise, as I have absolutely no doubt that these "Which exhaust" threads are posted up approximately once ever 2.4 seconds.

I have read a lot of threads (including the pinned one) but, although very interesting, if anything they have made my decision harder as they have introduced more options into the mix!

So anyway, it is to go on my daily driven and occasionally track day'd R27. I already have a decat fitted with the stock exhaust but fancy a little more noise once the loud pedal is buried. However I don't want it boomy and massively intrusive at cruise as I commute 30 miles a day to work and back on a dual carriageway. So I want something which is marginally more fruity than standard under normal driving, but turns into a deranged racecar when I give it some stick, complete with "pops and bangs". Is this too much to ask!?

I was originally going to go for a Milltek Resonated system but from reading I'm beginning to think this will be a bit too quiet at the sharp end and I will end up craving more! And I know the K-Tec systems, for example, would probably prove too loud. So somewhere in between would be perfect!

I am possibly thinking a resonated Scorpion system (I love the new slash-cut tailpipe design), and it seems they are generally regarded as sounding fantastic when gunning it, but I haven't had much luck finding out what they are like at cruise!?

For reference I am looking at spending around the £500 mark, and it will be teamed with some kind of re-map if this makes any odds.

Help me! What do you guys run on your daily driven Clio's, and what are they like to live with? Any advice will be gratefully received!

Rob

Last edited:
There was really no need for the link [MENTION=1272]Fernandez[/MENTION], I already had your site open in my browser! I also keep looking at the 330mm brake kit :glare:

Last edited:
What [MENTION=1272]Fernandez[/MENTION] says, I've had the resonated scorpion on for almost a year now and I still ain't sick of it, I always get comments about how good it sounds when hooning it down a back road :smile: and IMO on track she sounded amazing, I know people will say akra but let's be honest this exhaust is about a third of the price!!! Used to have non-res so know what both variants sound like but had to put the silencer in after about 3 weeks it was doing my head in, soo droney and boomy

Also that fernandez guy is pretty good at what he does, pretty sure he's the cheapest for a scorpion aswel :wink: [MENTION=50772]godders[/MENTION]

+1 for scorpion resonated also, love mine, and its not an overkill on the motorway, I did two 3 hour journeys over the weekend and cruising at 70 its not a lot different from standard ,maybe slightly more loud, but when you go round the b roads in high revs its awesome. Also bought mine from Fernandez and can recommend :smile:

I have the non-resonated scorpion & decat and it sounds the nuts. Drones a little at 70ish but at 50 or 85ish its quiet again. loads of pops and bangs! 60 mile round commute everyday and it doesn't annoy me

Thanks for the input guys, very helpful!

Do you get pops and bangs with the resonated system? I guess my decat would help in that regard anyway.

I've got the resondated system with decat, don't get loads of bangs but get the odd one now and then. Get them a lot more if the weathers really hot or from a really cold start.

Sounds really good though, I wouldn't want it any louder, glad I went for the resonated version.

First off, I apologise, as I have absolutely no doubt that these "Which exhaust" threads are posted up approximately once ever 2.4 seconds.

I have read a lot of threads (including the pinned one) but, although very interesting, if anything they have made my decision harder as they have introduced more options into the mix!

So anyway, it is to go on my daily driven and occasionally track day'd R27. I already have a decat fitted with the stock exhaust but fancy a little more noise once the loud pedal is buried. However I don't want it boomy and massively intrusive at cruise as I commute 30 miles a day to work and back on a dual carriageway. So I want something which is marginally more fruity than standard under normal driving, but turns into a deranged racecar when I give it some stick, complete with "pops and bangs". Is this too much to ask!?

I was originally going to go for a Milltek Resonated system but from reading I'm beginning to think this will be a bit too quiet at the sharp end and I will end up craving more! And I know the K-Tec systems, for example, would probably prove too loud. So somewhere in between would be perfect!

I am possibly thinking a resonated Scorpion system (I love the new slash-cut tailpipe design), and it seems they are generally regarded as sounding fantastic when gunning it, but I haven't had much luck finding out what they are like at cruise!?

For reference I am looking at spending around the £500 mark, and it will be teamed with some kind of re-map if this makes any odds.

Help me! What do you guys run on your daily driven Clio's, and what are they like to live with? Any advice will be gratefully received!

Rob

I'm pretty much in the same boat Rob, although I'm contemplating going for a non resonated system. Cant decide between Milltek or Scorpion :s

I owned the akra, but I would say go for the scorpion is u are looking for nice sound and it fits you budget as well.

I'm pretty much in the same boat Rob, although I'm contemplating going for a non resonated system. Cant decide between Milltek or Scorpion :s

I have heard, or rather I have read, that both the unresonated systems are droney and boomy at cruising speeds, which is exactly what I don't want! But then I do want the raw sound of an unresonated system when I'm driving properly... basically, I am awful at compromising!

I have heard, or rather I have read, that both the unresonated systems are droney and boomy at cruising speeds, which is exactly what I don't want! But then I do want the raw sound of an unresonated system when I'm driving properly... basically, I am awful at compromising!

Yea I know what you mean, but I was driving along about 70ish today and I have an induction kit and decat fitted and present and I though it you really wanted to be picky you could say it was a bit droney at present :s

IMO, I would choose the resonated one. Yes in good days where u can put your foot down, the unres is going to put a smile on your face. But to be honest if u have to drive a long way to work, the drone could sometimes be very annoying. Again it's all about compromise.

Im in exactly the same position as you mate, im leaning towards the miltek because I like the tips but ive never heard one in person.

We had an S5 at work with a resonated Miltek and it was really quiet, no idea how this translates to a Clio but a lot of people have said the same. I think it will have to be the Scorpion. [MENTION=1272]Fernandez[/MENTION] do you have them in stock?

[MENTION=50772]godders[/MENTION] depends which one you want. If we don't have the variation you want on the shelf them we can get Scorpion to dispatch directly to save time.

Ill try and get a vid up of mine for you mate.

Edit: Just tried but iPhone 5 doesn't really do it any justice, I have a camera so maybe ill try on there tomorrow.

Where bouts you live, someone local might give you a listen.

Last edited: