Worrying judder

This just started today :worried:
Whenever pulling away in first just as you release the clutch you'll get a sudden judder, similar to not giving enough gas or bringing the clutch up too quick, almost as if it's not releasing properly?
Any ideas :worried: ???

Whenever pulling away in first just as you release the clutch you'll get a sudden judder, similar to not giving enough gas or bringing the clutch up too quick, almost as if it's not releasing properly?

just experienced this same problem about an hour ago!! anyone have any idea as to why it would be doing it???? only experience it when pulling away!

Either your engine mounts are shot or your tracking is out.

How many miles has your car done? Is it old/new?

If your tracking is out the car will feel heavy and tiresome to drive and the engine will judder as you pull away. This is why you should get your tracking done regularly otherwise the juddering can wear out the engine mounts (and ruin your driving experience).

Is this a new car?

If not i would say its a sign clutch wear or the slave cylinder on its way out.

little bit of a shot in the dark on this one....

try slipping the clutch a bit - it could be lining deposits on the flywheel face - it should clean up the flywheel a bit

I have a judder if i put my foot down from cold.

If i get judder pulling away in 1st gear when its warmed up its usually because I'm not giving it enough revs so usually blip the throttle a bit to wake it up before pulling away, otherwise I sometimes get that judder that feels like clutch or driveshaft related.

Last edited:
I get it from cold too, these cars just don't run well from cold. I wouldn't worry about it, just drive it gently from cold like you should be anyway

put my car on the lift, oil in the bell housing, seems to have came from the gearbox, oil seal gone etc ec, dont know yet?? car started to grind when engaging 3rd, syncro on its way out! looks like a gearbox recon job :001_unsure: oil explains the judder, oil seems to have metal in it aswell so not good!!

It's single flywheel and the flywheel doesn't rotate in gearbox oil! Now is opportunity to get a lightweight flywheel in but sounds like new box for you mate :worried:

It's single flywheel and the flywheel doesn't rotate in gearbox oil! Now is opportunity to get a lightweight flywheel in but sounds like new box for you mate :worried:

i meant with the judder, if it was a DMF and the springs have gone, this causes one part of the flywheel to turn excessively thus resulting in ''judder''. i know the flywheel isnt in oil!

i meant with the judder, if it was a DMF and the springs have gone, this causes one part of the flywheel to turn excessively thus resulting in ''judder''. i know the flywheel isnt in oil!

Would oil not cause the clutch to slip then engage then slip until its under full load?? If this happened quickly would that be the cause of the judder???

I still say it could be something as simple as the alignment. This causes juddering as you pull away and is very common.

My clutch on my old R27 was wearing and it didn't really judder if anything it was less responsive when pulling away.

Would oil not cause the clutch to slip then engage then slip until its under full load?? If this happened quickly would that be the cause of the judder???

im pretty sure if there was oil on your clutch plate you'd smell it after a little drive! and yes it would slip on and off. but 'normally' if it judders setting off.....9 times out of 10......its the flywheel or pressure plate. but im talking about normal cars and not french cars! for all we know you could have a headlight out! :smiley:

gearbox out, bell housing has large chunks tore from it, part of the clutch disc was broke off, but that wouldnt have been fit to punture the holes in the bell housing????? there was nothing in the bell housing no bolts or anything substainical to have caused the damage, as far as I can see the clutch plate and flywheel are entirely intact!! will try to get some pics up to show the damage!!