Am I worrying to much? (parking)

Cal

Gold Member
Basically my girlfriend goes to University in Liverpool, I'm from birmingham I used to drive my Citroen C2 up there and wouldn't mind parking it wherever because to me the car wasn't valuable it was just a car, I'm due to go up this weekend and I'm worried about parking my car there because a lot of bad things happen in her area (a student house was held up at gunpoint two roads down) Am I just been over the to or should i actually be concerned?

before anyone says i should get the train/coach last time i got the train it was delayed an hour going there and 3 hours coming back which made me miss a 4 hour tattoo sitting and a deposit of £120 so i don't want to risk this it also cost around £40+ for the tickets which it would cost less for petrol.

I guess without trying, its hard to say really.

In terms of being stolen - I dont think Clio's have ever really been a target? Especially with much more valuable motors being a whole lot easier to nick (keyless entry BMW's etc.).

In terms of vandalism, I dont think Clio's really stand out all that much, although yours is Liquid Yellow with all the shouty aero bits....

Is it being parked among lots of other cars? Or will it be like a car on its own parked along a student housing street? If it's just a single car on the street, id be a little concerned as it makes for an easy target. If the street is full of other cars, I don't think id be concerned.

theres will be a street full of cars it's just a student house on a normal road basically and the other cars aren't just old metros and coras there is nice cars about (golf gtd, audi a4 fiesta ST) and so on but like you say because it stand's out I'm worrying people might vandalise it etc and also the other cars on the street will obviously belong to people who've lived there for years and those cars will be there everyday rather than this car being there for a weekend so I'm worrying someone might walk past the car think this is new that spoiler looks nice ill try rip it off and sell it on eBay (not trying to stereotype people haha)

I think you are right to be concerned, but then a car could get vandalised regardless of where you park it, whether its a bad area or a posh area. Its always a risk leaving our pride and joy parked anywhere - I even get paranoid if I can't park right outside my window, even if it's only 10 metres down the street... Its part and parcel of owning something we care about though.

There's always that risk that something could happen, yet we can't let it get in the way of actually living our lives - why inconvenience ourselves because of the possibility that some brain dead scrote 'might' damage our car...

There's probably more chance of it not happening than there is of it happening. Unless its a really crappy area like Liverpool or something.....oh, wait a minute....

:wink:

If it makes you feel any better, I bought an old fiesta to use when visiting my mrs in uni in cardiff. Blended in nicely and saved me loads when some drunk student broke all the wing mirrors off the cars in the street.
A bright red clio would have stood out loads!

thanks for the replies and i'll just have to risk it like you say I can't let my car run my life i'll have to leave that job to the mrs :smiley:

just an update me and the car made it back in one piece which I'm rather happy about I'm also quite impressed that it only used around half a tank on the trip
birmingham to liverpool, running around in liverpool and then back to birmingham

gutted at the fact i planned a whole route of B roads back ( going east to the peak district and then back down) only for my girlfriend to force me to stay in bed all day and i missed the sunlight so I'm still looking to take my car out for a proper journey somewhere!

Really good to hear that the car was safe in the end! Will hopefully give you a bit more confidence to take it up there again :smile:

Bet you were gutted that you had to spend all day in bed 'sleeping' when you could have been out driving :smiley: :wink:

Really good to hear that the car was safe in the end! Will hopefully give you a bit more confidence to take it up there again :smile:

Bet you were gutted that you had to spend all day in bed 'sleeping' when you could have been out driving :smiley: :wink:

haha if only that wasn't even meant as an innuendo i genuinely spent all day watching making a murderer in bed ;/