Won't start steering not locked

Phenom

Paid Member
Went to start the Clio today, got in pressed start button had message on dash saying "steering not locked".

Turned off the car heard the steering lock click in and couldn't spin the wheel, went to start it again, unlocked the steering and did nothing. Pressed button again and hit with the steering not locked message again.

Battery is fine and holds charges and puts just over 13v on my multimeter

Have I fried my starter motor? Fuel pump? I've seen a couple of threads on it but none of them have helped me so far.

Thanks in advance

Went to start the Clio today, got in pressed start button had message on dash saying "steering not locked".

Turned off the car heard the steering lock click in and couldn't spin the wheel, went to start it again, unlocked the steering and did nothing. Pressed button again and hit with the steering not locked message again.

Battery is fine and holds charges and puts just over 13v on my multimeter

Have I fried my starter motor? Fuel pump? I've seen a couple of threads on it but none of them have helped me so far.

Thanks in advance
In all the years I’ve seen these posts I’d say 90% of the time it’s the battery. Yes they can even show correct on a multimeter but still need changing! Don’t ask me how but it’s true

Reactions: Phenom
I vote battery too.
I did have this the other day when I didn't have the engine earth strap connected. So could be poor earth.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

fuse for the starter motor behind the passenger headlight controls the starter. Heat shield shorting out on starter motor terminals. Any work done to the car lately manifold repair etc?

Reactions: Phenom and Sean197
Engine has been in and out recently. starter motor itself it below the exhaust manifold right? will try and get the car up and have a look. looked at fuses and tested them all and are okay.

going to grab a new battery when I have some funds spare.

If the engine has been out then check the earth cable, as said above I had the exact issue as I didn't connect the engine earth cable

Where is the engine earth cable?
as I took the two connections of the battery and cleaned up the terminals.
I have a feeling its got to be something along these lines as it was flawless Tuesday to Friday went to drive it Saturday and nothing so i think something might have just not been done up tight enough and just rattled itself loose.

Mines a meglio and goes directly from the battery earth (1 of the 2 top bolts) down to top of gearbox bell housing.
This might not be the standard place.

Quick way to test, run a jumper cable from neg to engine block/gearbox

So tried everything so far minus a brand new battery as I don't have enough funds spare but I'm pretty sure it's not the battery as 3 others I tried that all work in other cars wont start mine.

I read through this post
https://clio197.net/threads/car-cut-out.52772/#post-583234

But this didn't help either, could starter solenoid be a problem? As there is a quite whining noise from behind the engine?