Wiper Not Reaching Far Enough

burrellbloke

Paid Member
I took the wiper arms off go my Clio 200 a few weeks ago when I cleaned the scuttle drains. I have put the arms back on but now when the wipers are on the drivers side wiper arm does not reach across as far as it did. Basically the arm comes from the down position and then comes within about 7 to 8 cm of the usual reach and then goes back in to position. It means that there is a strip of the windscreen on the drivers side that is not being cleaned/wiped that was before.

When I took the arms off I did not touch the linkage.

I have tried to adjust the position of the arm on the spline to see if I can get it to reach further across but it has had a minimal effect.

When the wipers are on there is no obvious resistance stopping the wiper arm and there are no noises suggesting that the linkage is "stuck".

Has anyone got any ideas of what the problem may be or how I can fix it?

The wipers start quite high up the windscreen in the park position which is nasty in my opinion. That is the only way to get them to do a pass to the edge of windscreen. I personally keep them lower in the park position and hope it don’t rain!!

Just had my car back from service and seem to have this same issue, did you ever manage to sort it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

I had to take off the arms and then watch the linkage get to its furthest point, then put the arms back on. I was being foolish and impatient.

Linkages are prone to seizing. It is always worth taking yours off to make sure it moves freely.

On the subject of seized wiper linkages, I took mine off this weekend as the wipers were noticeably slow and the linkage was pretty stiff, so a quick clean up and regrease has worked wonders. There's even a guide in the how to.

Reactions: Matty_P