Which catback exhausts are track legal? (and don't drone!)

Hi folks,

I picked up up my 200 last week. Absolutely loving it, what a car! I've been doing lots of little mods- next up is a catback exhaust.

What systems will/won't breach track noise limits? (And also not drone!)

I've got a standard manifold and cat, just looking to not spend much and get a catback system, but the car will be driven all over the country to get to trackdays etc, so it's important it won't drone either.

Gravity exhaust resonated catback system looks appealing at £260! But some say it's very loud?
Scorpion resonated seems to be popular?

tia!

Track noise limits vary from track to track.

I have an Akrapovic system with a standard manifold. It does not drone and has passed every sound test I have done at track days.

Reactions: DanceMonkeyRS200
I’ll have a full system for sale soon, heat wrapped manifold, no cats, centre and rear silencer. Always passed noise tests. Lots of videos on my YT feed showing what it sounds like. Depends if you need it road legal (emissions) or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a gravity cat back with standard cat and manifold, it's not overly loud, and does make a few nice sounds on gear changes, but it does drone at motorway speeds.

It will be for sale soon if you're interested.

I've got a Miltek Resonated cat back on mine.

Only done one day so far at Blyton Park who are quite keen on any excessive noise at the moment due to contraction near by and them getting blame.

I made video for someone on here of the sound if you are interested. Though this is on a 197 not a 200 but I can see that make much difference!

Reactions: Big Ben
I've got a gravity cat back with standard cat and manifold, it's not overly loud, and does make a few nice sounds on gear changes, but it does drone at motorway speeds.

It will be for sale soon if you're interested.
Is is a resonated or non-res? Some people seem to say the resonated one still drones?

Mine is terrible. I've had Scorpion non-res with both standard cat's still in place; was far too loud. I then bought a Scorpion resonated centre pipe, didn't really change anything. Better around town but the drone on the motorway is horrendous.
I've also tried both combinations with secondary de-cat to see if it would change the tone or shift the point at which the drone occurs but with no luck.

I have no rear seats in my car which might make it much worse but I wouldn't advise on a Scorpion system if you do many motorway miles.

I only use my car for trackdays but driving to and from them with this exhaust has made me think about finding and fitting a stock system. It sounds awesome on track, but the drone is pretty unbearable.

I wear earplugs on long journeys, doesn't really make it anymore bearable having that droning in the background.

Has anyone got any feedback on the resonated scorpion? Some say it's fine, some say it drones horrendously?

I previously had a decat with non res scorpion and it was it loud and asbo, great for town journeys but anything on the motorway it was drone central, I swapped to a res centre section and whilst loud it was much more manageable.

mines stripped out and whilst I’ve driven it too trackdays and once from wales (6 hr) earplugs were needed but never broke above 90db for trackdays

I previously had a decat with non res scorpion and it was it loud and asbo, great for town journeys but anything on the motorway it was drone central, I swapped to a res centre section and whilst loud it was much more manageable.

mines stripped out and whilst I’ve driven it too trackdays and once from wales (6 hr) earplugs were needed but never broke above 90db for trackdays

Thats great to know, thanks for the input.

I've gone off the idea of a scorpion, most people seem to find it pretty unsociable.

Does anyone know how they sound with the backbox removed? I thought of maybe welding in a valve between the resonator and backbox, to vent straight under the car, effectively turning it into a straight pipe after the resonator. That way it can just be opened whenever I want a bit of extra noise but left shut for motorways etc