which brakes?

hi all im looking to upgrade brakes soon front and rear and rear disc are starting to corrode.
so do i go for high carbon (grooved or drilled)
or normal grooved or drilled or both?

wats v difference in drilled or grooved
and whats v diff in high carbon

thanks for our help

upgrade

i find the oem very poor, ive had btm check them over and he sed they were fine, but my gf has a corsa vxr n she can stop twice as quick as me they are unreal.

Drilled is to aid cooling, and not really neccessary on smaller, lighter cars, like the 197/200. Drilled can sometimes crack around the holes.

Grooved tends to keep a cleaner face on the pad, and also aids cooling slightly.

So I would go with a grooved disc out of the two, with a decent pad - Carbone Lorraine RC5, DS2500, 1144 etc.

As for HC or standard, I dont think you will notice any difference between the two.

Although the standard brakes are good out of the box, they can be improved with a good pad, disc setup and further with hoses.

not a fan of ebc pads.

Best way to look at them what brands to top teams use :wink: Feroddo is one of the top brands so i'd trust them :smile:

what fluid u recommend? and how to bed them back in?

I'm using Millers Oils Brake Fluid 300 Plus; http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60239-millers-oils-racing-brake-fluid-300-plus.aspx

It's had some severe abuse and it's not failed me (yet, touch wood). A lot of people go for the Motul 5.1 stuff too.

Bedding in; Do some 50-20MPH hard slow downs (5 will do), then pootle about and let your brakes cool a bit and repeat again but with more pressure on the pedal, then pootle about again, then repeat again. You'll need to find a nice quiet bit of road of course, but you will feel a big difference the next day. The idea is to get some heat cycles through the pads and discs and for the pads to transfer some material onto the discs. Ideally your discs should have a grey/blue-ish tint to them afterwards with visible sediment on the face.

As for HC or standard, I dont think you will notice any difference between the two.

Although the standard brakes are good out of the box, they can be improved with a good pad, disc setup and further with hoses.

They're HC as standard on the 197/200. Good shout on the hoses, well worth £60.

Definitely something wrong with your brakes (or tyres!) if a vxr is stopping quicker, the clio should easily out brake the corsa.

I've got DS2500 pads on mine and would highly recommend them, also have grooved 2-piece discs but don't think they made much difference to braking performance.

brakes

ok well thanks guys, will def get sum ds2500s £230 for a full set, need new rear discs which r £230 for standard, so was finking of getting front at same time which are £99 which is then £330 for discs but i can get grooved brembos for £380 so was finking of paying the extra £50 and having a better setup, (and grooved disc look good. lol)
just seems strange as btm checked my brakes wen he done service and belt change, and sed they were fine, and my tyres were new last year and only done 4k on them,

thanks again for all your help

They might well be fine in terms of how much meat is on the Pads and how worn the Discs are.

But if the surface of either is glazed or the fluid is shot then that will be giving you your issues.

Honestly, try bedding them back in before you go spending a load of money. :wink:

brakes

they do seem alittle better since oulton park on friday, using them hard has made a difference. will def replace fluid tho,
need rear discs soon anyway as they are starting to corrode