Where's the great cars gone.....

Where are all the great cars gone. Might be me but the choice seem so limited for anything remotely interesting below 20 grand. Yep there's lots of things I'd buy with someone else's money or things that would make great weekend car but dailys, very very limited......

Its a different market out there now. I think the GT86 is the only worthy contender at the minute for a project.

Plenty of tunning and performance parts available

Inflation has pushed the 'under 20k' bracket now to 25k. I think I know what you mean though. Maybe someone needs to make a 106 Rallye type car again, no bells and whistles just a heater and a radio, oh and manual box. Not to sure it would sell though people expect all sorts of electronic crap and creature comforts these days. Think im showing my age now!

Inflation has pushed the 'under 20k' bracket now to 25k. I think I know what you mean though. Maybe someone needs to make a 106 Rallye type car again, no bells and whistles just a heater and a radio, oh and manual box. Not to sure it would sell though people expect all sorts of electronic crap and creature comforts these days. Think im showing my age now!

Nah don't think you're showing your age :tongueout: I agree with this and it's kind of what the 197/200 offered imo.. though obviously not super basic but it seems like it was designed with driving pleasure in mind not creature comfort or luxuries. It's just a pity the take-up was so poor..

I'm not a fan of all the bells and whistles either.. although I do love my keyless entry, keyless start :smile: could definitely do without aircon and auto wipers/lights though!

James

The models have become bigger and heavier.
We had a MK1 golf, had 13 inch wheels, 112bhp, £6,600 and was a great car.
The Polo is now the same size as that Golf but heavier.
The new Golf is now a lot more expensive, faster, safer but no more fun.

In other (USA) the GT86 is a fair bit cheaper, think Toyota planned it to be a £20,000 car and that would have been good.

Dont think many manufacturers will make stripped out cars (saftey tests, insurance etc).

The 2010 Clio 200 i got could do with lossing 200Kg then it would be great.
This is also the first time i have had Traction Control etc i have just spent 30 years driving without it. switch it off (in the dry) not sure if i need it or not. When i stop it then goes back on (EU laws i think).
Last car was an MR2 whent just as well on 138bhp, 15inch wheels and no need for big brembo brakes

Had a 1.6 and then a 1.9.
Yes they where great.
Had to be carefull with the 1.6 allways felt if it went you had no chance of getting it back, come out of Liverpool (flat out) on a wet road lifted off for the roundabout and it went sideways. Just sat their lucky it scrubbed of speed and came back.
The fun of these old lightweight cars.

If you think back a hot hatch used to be a car that did everything, based on a small family car with better damping, lighter, tuned engine etc. The car that the original hot hatches were based were already quite stripped back of creature comforts compared to today’s cars.
This is where it splits opinions. Some people think a hot hatch is a lighter, focused car that is about driver feedback and fun (like the originals). Some people think it should be a do it all car (like the originals) based on an already overcomplicated creature comfort laden modern hatch.
Each to their own and both types are what the original were all about, just the cars they are now based on are miles apart. Im definitely less is more person when it comes to a hot hatch.
Choice of a S1 106 rallye or a S3 a-like to drive for an hour on a dry Sunday morning, it would be the Pug every time.

If you think back a hot hatch used to be a car that did everything, based on a small family car with better damping, lighter, tuned engine etc. The car that the original hot hatches were based were already quite stripped back of creature comforts compared to today’s cars.
This is where it splits opinions. Some people think a hot hatch is a lighter, focused car that is about driver feedback and fun (like the originals). Some people think it should be a do it all car (like the originals) based on an already overcomplicated creature comfort laden modern hatch.
Each to their own and both types are what the original were all about, just the cars they are now based on are miles apart.

You got it in one there!