Wheel / tyre sizes...

Hi Guys, i'm sure i've seen this before but i can't find it so appologies for the repeat.

Can someone please confirm or correct this info:

Raider wheels (as per 197) 17" x 7.5" = 215/45 tyre
Speedline wheels 17" x 8" = 225/45 tyre

Sorry for sounding like a dumb-ass but i can't help that :lol:
Thanks in advance for your help.

Raider wheels (as per 197) 17" x 7.5" = 215/45 tyre
Speedline wheels 17" x 7.5" = 215/45 tyre

Cheers Karl, as always your in the know!

I now recall that its the Cup racer wheels that are 17" x 8" right?!
But these are too soft for the road or something...?

If you go diving into potholes then sure, but any wheel with do the same.

They are not by any means a high magnesium content wheel (if you know a metalergist I'd be interested to get a spectrograph analysis :tongueout: ), as can be told by the weight. They are maybe 10kg each and I bet the road going variety are lighter.

So magnesium wheels are soft yes but unless you told someone they contained magnesium people wouldnt know, I suprised a guy who's been supporting race teams for 25~ years when he picked one up and he laughed as I told him.

If you go diving into potholes then sure, but any wheel with do the same.

They are not by any means a high magnesium content wheel (if you know a metalergist I'd be interested to get a spectrograph analysis :tongueout: ), as can be told by the weight. They are maybe 10kg each and I bet the road going variety are lighter.

So magnesium wheels are soft yes but unless you told someone they contained magnesium people wouldnt know, I suprised a guy who's been supporting race teams for 25~ years when he picked one up and he laughed as I told him.

Metalergist... well i do actually know one! So they take 225/45 tyres?
Have you noticed improved grip from the slightly wider contact?

Last edited:
Difficult to tell as the 225 tyres I use have much more tread than the 215 contis I have on my normal wheels.

I think the wider tyre changes how the car turns in as it seems a lot more progressive (could be read as slow), but then again it could just be the tyre.