What's my 197 worth?

Wasn't quite sure where to put this topic, Mods please move this if there is a better place for it.

I'm thinking about selling my Clio and getting an R26 Megane to replace it. But whether I do or not will depend on what I can sell the Clio for. PX value i've had on it was a depressingly low £3500...

I'd probably try and sell it with all the mods fitted rather than put it back to standard but it depends if I could get much more for splitting and selling the mods separately.

Anyway below is the spec, please let me know your thoughts on value:

2009 Clio 197 - One of the run out models of the 197 before the 200.
Lux pack - Inc full leather, electric mirrors, climate control etc. Really nice interior.
Full Service History - Been owned by enthusiasts all its life. I am the third owner.
Mileage - 97000. Pretty high I know but the car has been used as a daily drive on long motorway commutes by me & the previous owner so it's mostly motorway mileage.

Mods:

17" OZ Racing Ultraleggeras, Nankang NS-2R tyres with loads of life.
Brakes are Ferodo DS2500 pads, Motul RBF 600 fluid, braided brake lines. Rear brakes are standard.
ITG Maxogen induction kit
Powerflex Engine Mounts
Scorpion Resonated exhaust with de-cat pipe.
RS Tuning Remap
Sprint Spoiler
HID headlights with LED lighting all round.

Bad points:

Steering wheel melting - Common problem. Ideally wants a retrim but its not exactly falling apart.
Locking button on handle doesn't work. Again common problem. Keyless entry and start works fine, locking button is the only issue so you need to use the fob to lock it.
A few little car park dings but this is to be expected and overall the paint is in good condition, any dings aren't obvious and car is regularly detailed.

Not really got any decent photos of the car, but got a couple from a trackday I did:

LHP_1414_1200.jpg

LHP_9063_1000.jpg

I would say 4.5-5k private. I think the mileage will be a killer for most although the leather could be a bonus.

If I were you, I would take off the wheels, exhaust and induction kit, sell those bits on and also see if someone would buy your seats on an exchange basis. That should raise around 1-1.5k then sell the car nice and easy at 4k

As above, certainly take the wheels off as they'll generate a good chunk of cash on their own.

Would removing the induction and exhaust have any negative effects on the car? As presumably it has been mapped with those modifications taken into account?

I'd agree with what's been said already and suggest selling at least some of the mods seperately - you will get a nice amount of money for some of those and a standard(ish) car is likely to appeal to a wider range of buyers. A modded car narrows down the market imo.

Last edited:
I agree a standard car will probably appeal to a wider market. £5k is what I was aiming for with the mods fitted.

Brakes I would leave as they are, induction kit I can go back to standard easily, exhaust wise I do still have the original and the CAT however Callorfold makes a good point in that the car has been mapped with a decat exhaust fitted so it may not drive as well with the exhaust removed?

Think I would try and sell it modded first and if I get no interest what so ever i'd look at going back to standard.

Wheels can obviously be easily swapped but I don't have the original 197 wheels so i'd need to find someone to swap with. Also whoever I swap with would need to swap me a decent set of wheels with decent tyres otherwise it could knock more money off the car than what selling the OZ wheels will raise.

Those OZ wheels, even 2nd hand go for around £800? Induction kit probably £100? Exhaust £250?

As [MENTION=52344]antnee[/MENTION] said originally, you've easily got 1K in parts you can sell and you should get £4K for the car standard all day long.

It's worth the little extra effort to source some cheap wheels (maybe even swap the tyres from the OZ's and sell them as alloys w/o tyres?)

Either that or just throw it up at £5K for a couple of weeks and see if you get any interest? If nothing, then proceed with the above?

Yeah with the decent tyres on i'd look for £750-£800 for the wheels, hopefully get a bit more for the exhaust cause its only a year old and was just under £600 new IIRC.

But yeh I think its worth sticking it up once i've sourced a Megane. Can't sell it before getting a replacement as I need a car for work so thats why I needed a decent idea of the Clios value

Scorpions are not £600 new.

I traded my albi in and got £4200 part ex (similar spec, minus the interior) I think you'd have a good shot at selling a leather interior also, and getting standard seats, it depends how far you want to go. However I had 30k less miles than you, and you will get raped by a dealer with that mileage. You will never get money back on the oz's leaving them on the car, get a cheap set of 200 cup wheels or standard 197 wheels, some for sale atm in the section.

I have both a set of 197 alloys painted black (track wheels at the mo) and a set of 200 alloys in black. Depending on the wear on the tyres I'd consider a p/x with cash your way if you did decide to sell the wheels? Have a full set of Conti SC5s with a few mils on that could come with the wheels.

Does your p/x value depend on the mods? Probably not so the easiest may be to demod and then p/x? Private sale inevitably better price but also inevitably more difficult, especially with that mileage which will mean a lot of people won't even look at it.

Last edited:
Scorpions are not £600 new.

I traded my albi in and got £4200 part ex (similar spec, minus the interior) I think you'd have a good shot at selling a leather interior also, and getting standard seats, it depends how far you want to go. However I had 30k less miles than you, and you will get raped by a dealer with that mileage. You will never get money back on the oz's leaving them on the car, get a cheap set of 200 cup wheels or standard 197 wheels, some for sale atm in the section.

Can't remember what I paid for the exhaust, I got mine direct from Scorpion but just looked and they're £535 on ebay. So hopefully i'd get a bit more than £250 if I took it off.

But yeah I agree on the wheels I probably am best swapping those before selling. I'm not planning on buying a megane from a dealer so hopefully won't need to go down the P/X route as like you say i'll get peanuts for it. If I did P/X it i'd definitely look at selling the interior too.

I have both a set of 197 alloys painted black (track wheels at the mo) and a set of 200 alloys in black. Depending on the wear on the tyres I'd consider a p/x with cash your way if you did decide to sell the wheels? Have a full set of Conti SC5s with a few mils on that could come with the wheels.

Does your p/x value depend on the mods? Probably not so the easiest may be to demod and then p/x? Private sale inevitably better price but also inevitably more difficult, especially with that mileage which will mean a lot of people won't even look at it.

The P/X value doesn't consider mods or spec of the car as far as I know, they just go off a numberplate really. Depends if they actually want the car for their stock or if they'd just stick it in an auction I think.

I'll PM you about wheels though once I make a decision.

Bloody hell then scorpion has raised the price! I paid I think £480 for mine (resonated, imola tips)

i'd try to sell the wheels and ITG kit..if you remove the exhaust,i believe it will affect the ride since its been remapped..
dont expect a lot though with that millage..
good luck

[MENTION=44782]BEEFTEC[/MENTION]..just in case you decide to sell some parts separately,pls set up a for sale ad.
thanks

Bloody hell then scorpion has raised the price! I paid I think £480 for mine (resonated, imola tips)

Yeah, thats including the de cat pipe though too, they're about £60-£70 i think.

i'd try to sell the wheels and ITG kit..if you remove the exhaust,i believe it will affect the ride since its been remapped..

Yeah I agree, i'll leave the exhaust on unless I P/X it which I doubt.

@BEEFTEC..just in case you decide to sell some parts separately,pls set up a for sale ad.
thanks

Yep, will do.

To everyone else, i'll PM people if I decide to split all the parts.

Instead of people guessing, it would be best if he picks up the phone to RS Tuning and ask their advice about the remap and removing the exhaust.

px depends very much on what you are paying for the new car and how. If the new car is 1k overpriced then they can offer you a seemingly good px naturally. So comparing px prices is pretty meaningless.

Let me know @ beeftec if you decide to sell the exhaust and at what price . Thanks. Hope you get more than that for the car if you sell up.