Clio 200 engine in a 197. What's needed?

Hi all,

So my timing belt snapped at 31,000 kms... on a 2008 Clio 197. The car was bought in Sept 2009 new, then by me in May 2013 at 17,000 kms..

Anyway it's damaged the upper motor... valves etc. So quote for parts and repairs from a Renault dealer in Australia is: $AUD prices.

"Timing belt kit
Aux belt kit
Large seal plug
Small seal plug
Water pump
Thermostat and seal
Low crank pulley
Dip stick
Coolant
Oil filter
Engine oil
Tube seal
Spark plugs
Head bolts
Gasket head set
Machine head
Replace valves

Total parts and sublet $ 4152

Total Labour $ 2156

Total = $6308"

Anyway I've found a 2012 Clio 200 wreck which has 10,000 kms, but took quite a large hit in the front. Called up the wreckers and they said the engine runs, but timing belt case is broken.

I was considering just transplanting this 200 engine with a 200 ECU into my 197 as it may be a cheaper (and slightly better alternative - more midrange torque?)
And using the 197 timing belt case in lieu of the broken one.

Question:
Is it a simple bolt on? and do I need the 200 wiring loom as well? Also would I need other stuff for it?

Here are some pics of the smashed car:

62073090-5059-4743-8262-a33daa4e03cd_zps5a75f7c8.jpg

ecf31001-f07e-4e1d-9c10-10e5abfb6f83_zpsd33cf8cb.jpg

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

Are you paying for it? If so, I'd get a megane engine.

First time I've ever heard of a cambelt snapping as well.

Poor LY :worried:! Kinda pointless but if it going cheap...
Only problem you'll have is the Clio 200 ECU wont work with your car. You'll need the immobiliser chip (cant remember the exact name) inside the engine ECU to be reprogrammed to match or it wont work.
Getting around that you could just use your 197 ecu and mish mash engine parts, would probably need mapping though.

But a megane engine swap is around £2k labour alone which includes fitting, wiring, immobiliser chip..

I'm guessing as its a heavy impact the airbag detection in the ecu will need a new one too.

Not sure i'd want the engine from the size of the impact, as suggested for the money try finding somewhere to do a meg 250 conversion.

As others have said get it megged.

If however you want the 200 engine. Just chuck it in yours. There's not really that much difference in them, anything you need you can transfer from the old engine and just use your ecu. There's only like 3bhp difference in the maps on the cars so not worth the hassle using the 200's ecu.

Yeah I toyed with idea of a Meg 225 engine in it but I'm not ready to part too much money for the car, so having said that I'm ready to settle for a 200 engine in it.

Can the 200 engine run with 197 ECU? If it can, that would be sweet!

Yeah I toyed with idea of a Meg 225 engine in it but I'm not ready to part too much money for the car, so having said that I'm ready to settle for a 200 engine in it.

Can the 200 engine run with 197 ECU? If it can, that would be sweet!

It'll work ok, just stick the 200 engine in :smile:

It's the same engine, there is no difference, it's the map that made the difference.

200 engine in a 197 straight bolt in job...

but I would hesitate at fitting that heavy front end smash engine - youll be surprised what else can get damaged in a smash like that - BE CAREFUL!

I'd be wondering if an oil filter will fit back on that tidy...! Lol

Yeah I've had a good look over that wreck. The engine has moved back probably a good 6 inches at best.

Oh and in regards to the comment on here about a Meg engine swap. This is Australia we're talking about here. Take your £2k and probably double it assuming you can find an engine in the first place.