What tyres for X85?

jasonlovesfrench

Paid Member
Buying some Speedline Cup X85 17" x 8J, 5 x 108, ET68 rims soon and don’t know what tyres and more importantly, sizes for road use only? 215/45/17? and also what tyres did the Clio’s roll off the line with? was it Pilot Sports?

I have not tried them. I have Pilot Sports 4s on my Clio and Pilot Sport 4Ss on my Megane - they do a great job keeping the car on the road. I would be surprised if anyone rated the Continentals over the Michelins.

215 are fine and 'look' the best, I find 225s look too big. 225 are usually cheaper though.You can't go wrong with many of the major brands, Michelin Pilots, Goodyear Eagle etc. I think most would be hard-pushed to notice a difference between them on the road.
I have Uniroyal Rainsport 5 on my 200 and really rate them, and I have Bridgestone Potenza on my mk7 golf gtd and again really rate them although they're a bit soft (quick wearing).
Check blackcircles for deals.

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
I run 215/45 on mine but if you want to make use of the 8j and can splash the cash… you can get 235/40

Surely 215 would be far too narrow for an 8" alloy?? I would suspect a 225 or 235 would be better suited?? Perhaps do some research and see what size the cup racers use seeing as it's a cup racer rim and not a road rim.

Reactions: RSRowe
Surely 215 would be far too narrow for an 8" alloy?? I would suspect a 225 or 235 would be better suited?? Perhaps do some research and see what size the cup racers use seeing as it's a cup racer rim and not a road rim.

215 is the minimum size you should run on an 8" alloy, many OEMs come with 215 tyres on a 8" from factory so it isn't a problem, ideal is 225-235

I had, and still have, 215s on my 8j cup racers with no issues whatsoever.
Fair enough, I just don't see the point of having a wider alloy and not utilising a wider tyre. You're accepting the penalty of extra weight (appreciate cup racer alloys have a mixture of magnesium etc but probably still heavy suckers) whilst not utilising the benefit of fitting a wider tyre.

Reactions: RSRowe
Fair enough, I just don't see the point of having a wider alloy and not utilising a wider tyre. You're accepting the penalty of extra weight (appreciate cup racer alloys have a mixture of magnesium etc but probably still heavy suckers) whilst not utilising the benefit of fitting a wider tyre.
the Michelin slicks that go on the cup racer alloys ain’t exactly fat. (Granted they’re slicks)

and I doubt most people are going to find any different in a slightly wider tyre over a 215. Also on most semi slicks the square wall on a 225/45 will rub the inner archers if Your lower than Stock

Reactions: Sean197
My thoughts entirely

Reactions: J90RDN

PS I am totally in agreement about what is the point, they're a lot more expensive and much weaker (why so many turn up bent / cracked for sale), I was just answering the question of the minimum tyre width you can run safely.

Reactions: J90RDN
Not sure what tyres they roll off the line with but for them wheels I’d get PS4’s in 225/45/17

For track use I agree, but mine are for road use where you'd never notice the difference between 215 and 225.

For track use I agree, but mine are for road use where you'd never notice the difference between 215 and 225.
Yes that's fair enough. Not sure how robust they are for road use. Would the 7.5" road alloys be about same weight? Would the road alloys with 215's be a better and cheaper option?

On the subject of tyres, I ordered the wife 4 Michelin PS4's for her M140i in the Kwik-Fit black Friday sale - all in fitted for just under £400 which I didn't think were too bad. Her from new Michelin Super Sports still have loads of tread after 30k miles but they are horrendous in the winter so hoping the PS4's will be a huge improvement. Also heard good things about the Eagle F1's and the Rainsports would be a good choice as well.

Yes that's fair enough. Not sure how robust they are for road use. Would the 7.5" road alloys be about same weight? Would the road alloys with 215's be a better and cheaper option?

On the subject of tyres, I ordered the wife 4 Michelin PS4's for her M140i in the Kwik-Fit black Friday sale - all in fitted for just under £400 which I didn't think were too bad. Her from new Michelin Super Sports still have loads of tread after 30k miles but they are horrendous in the winter so hoping the PS4's will be a huge improvement. Also heard good things about the Eagle F1's and the Rainsports would be a good choice as well.

Not sure on the weights, I'd have to check. In terms of the 8j vs 7.5, I went for them purely for looks as obviously the 8j fill the arches a little better, and I got them in mint condition for sub £400.

Not sure on the weights, I'd have to check. In terms of the 8j vs 7.5, I went for them purely for looks as obviously the 8j fill the arches a little better, and I got them in mint condition for sub £400.
Now that is reason alone to go for them :thumb: