197: What to expect 40k plus!

My 57' Jan 08 197 has just hit 40k in the last week and with the car now being just over 5 years old I'm starting to wonder what to expect in terms of mechnical replacement/letdowns.

Over the past year I have spent a small fortune on the car replacing suspension links and ball joints as the car eats them, at least so it seems.

When should I expect to replace the head gasket and other such things?

Mines just about to hit 60k now and can't fault her, gearbox is still good and it's not like I go easy on her at any point. Had no troubles at all and iv had it since 50k :thumbup:

40k is nothing, it's barely run in yet!

Just drive it and enjoy it, stop worrying about what may or may not happen. My car is currently on 67k and is running swwet as a nut, just maintian it to Renault specs and it should last to 100k or more.

Of course suspension components etc will wear and need replacing as it would on any car, but the engine itself should last for another 100k or more.

regular standard maintenance with a yearly brake strip and clean etc and there shouldnt be any nasty surprises...

dont skrimp on oil and filter changes or quality of oil

combine the yearly service at or near the same time as the mot

theres plenty of "premuim jerman" cars out there with plenty of horror issues!

if belts are due, get them done, but keep it serviced regularly and it should run fine

Cheers boys :smile:

Not really too bothered about wearing items such as ball joints etc, but seen a few horror stories on here which are giving me cause for concern, such as wobbly steering etc, which I think all these cars are prone too maybe?

The cars well maintained, although I could clean it more often lol. I have it serviced by a local reputable garage and supply them with all filters personally :smile:

the steering issues have only been reported by a few people on here, mine was lowered for a few years, never had any issues with any on the drive train/suspension/steering apart a small link bar and that was due to going on bumps on a track day. not all cars are the same. just enjoy the car, and deal with problems as they arise

yep mines on 86000 miles and still feels fine to me, only had the car since january but done about 4000 miles this year and a trip to wales and the only thing it really needs needs is new steering arms but thats due to its age.

These cars are pretty bomb proof if services regular, the older 172/182's
People are just starting to use them as track cars with 130K + on them!

They'll just keep going and going with regular fresh oils