What to do what to do what to do.

Cars...the bain of my life.

Im stuck as to whats best to do. The clio hardly does it for me any more and cant help myself looking elsewhere for something different. But thats my dilemma...what?!

Gone off Renault as a brand so the 250 idea has gone.

I do 12-15k a year, so there isnt much between a diesel and a petrol. However diesel have higher bills if they go wrong.

Do i trade the clio in against something which ill continue to have monthly payments for OR chop it in against something that the positive equity covers.

My daily browse covers loads of cars...S3 new, S3 old, Focus RS new, Focus RS old, New Focus ST (lots more finance), BMW 123d (firm favourite atm), 330ci, 330cd, 130i, 335i, 135i.

They have to be semi practical as a minimum. I do 350miles over one week, every 4, with 4 adults in the car so that rules out the common favourite S2000/BMW Z4.

But then do i stick with the clio. Get the misses something diesel that we can use day to day and i can use for the lift share.

Another big factor is my Euro trip in September. I cant stomach doing it in something that i dont love, be it the 200 at the time or a new boring motor.

OR

Do i stick my sensible cap on. Use the clio for the trip. Then buy something cheap. Use that for a year or two putting the now non existent finance payments into a pot, along with other hard saving efforts and jump onto the property ladder.

:001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure:

Another spanner in the works is that ive just spent 10days in Turkey driving a diesel new focus and really enjoyed just driving. Not worrying about speed or handling or when itll go wrong. It just did the job, had a little bit of poke and was comfy. Im 25 in February....am i getting old!?!?

Last edited:
Hmm its a tricky one mate, with the mileage you do the likes of the Focus RS/S3 would hurt your wallet in fuel costs. If I did 12-15k id get a diesel and then get a weekend car.

Its kind of what im trying to do now lol, just cant afford the weekend car just yet.

BUT..... your last paragraph sums it up for me, property all the way mate, grab yourself a cheap diesel.

But what one!? Lol

This has been bothering me for a good 6-12 months, but the recent desire to get into my own place rather than renting has pushed me over the edge lol

well theres no mention of budget lol. If you were to get a cheap diesel as your daily in order to save for a house how much would you want to spend?

The thing with the BM is that its just an overpriced posh golf. It has nothing you can't get elsewhere.

I'd say get a cheap reliable runabout and Meg the Clio.. Seriously Lee, you'd love it.

well theres no mention of budget lol. If you were to get a cheap diesel as your daily in order to save for a house how much would you want to spend?

Well id be happy sinking whatever i was to get back from the 200, so £4-6k

ive been looking at the 123d recently, if i was doin high miles thats what id have

Reallllly nice cars, but, if they go wrong £££

The thing with the BM is that its just an overpriced posh golf. It has nothing you can't get elsewhere.

I'd say get a cheap reliable runabout and Meg the Clio.. Seriously Lee, you'd love it.

The clio will not have any vast amounts of money spent on it. Ive spent enough on fuel back and forth to Renault. I recon 5k of my 30 on the clock is treking too and from the bloody dealer.

Mk5 golf Gt it was my last company car and I still miss it 45 to the gallon get the 170ps one loads of tourque and handles very respectable when pushing on also I think they look nice

Have said this before on here being an old git. Prioritise the house and finances and don't waste too much of your hard earned on cars. My biggest regret financially is prioritising cars for too long. Wasted a good 25-30k which in real terms has prob cost £100k plus opportunity cost.

'it's my hobby'

Maybe but it might turn out that some people's hobbies involve working into their 70s.

R26r?

BMW 123d gets my vote. A simple remap see's around 250bhp and a lot more torques, so very pokey in a straight line. It's Also RWD and from experiencing my friends one, is quite easy to safely get sideways for a bit of fun.
All while returning 45mpg...and 55-60 when taking it easy and doing 70-80!

Another for the 123d coupe I'm afraid. Cracking bang for the buck. A mate of mine had a mapped one. A bit dull bit could carry a fair bit of speed.

Last edited:
If you've got 4 people in the car alot then s3/rs4 or r32?
if not then new focus is brilliant! mate has one and i always kick him out the drivers seat just to sit in it haha

The Rocco diesels are nice I like mine a bit boring but great kit inside (dvd player satnav) and 55mpg on a run 170bph keeps up with the Clios .:thumbsup:

The new focus is brilliant. The ST is getting amazing reports and great MPG also.

The deals aint too shabby neither after a quick mooch..

http://www.johngrose.co.uk/ford/new-car-offers/newfordfocusst/1160/2.0T+ST+5dr

24 Monthly payments
£199.00
On the road cash price
£20,495.00
Deposit Allowance paid by Ford Credit
£2,000.00
Customer deposit (this could be your part exchange)
£3,977.77
Total amount of credit
£14,517.23
Total charge for credit (includes £10 finance facility fee & £10 purchase fee)
£1,279.77
Optional final purchase payment (GMFV)
£10,991.00
Annual mileage
Excess mileage charge per mile (Exc. VAT)
10p
Rate of interest (fixed)
4.30%
APR representative
4.9%

....but its another £20k finance deal.

The new focus is brilliant. The ST is getting amazing reports and great MPG also.

The deals aint too shabby neither after a quick mooch..

http://www.johngrose.co.uk/ford/new-car-offers/newfordfocusst/1160/2.0T+ST+5dr

24 Monthly payments£199.00
On the road cash price£20,495.00
Deposit Allowance paid by Ford Credit£2,000.00
Customer deposit (this could be your part exchange)£3,977.77
Total amount of credit £14,517.23
Total charge for credit (includes £10 finance facility fee & £10 purchase fee)£1,279.77
Optional final purchase payment (GMFV)£10,991.00
Annual mileage6,000
Excess mileage charge per mile (Exc. VAT) 10p
Rate of interest (fixed)4.30%
APR representative4.9%

....but its another £20k finance deal.

Think you'r just gonna have to do it aha