What exactly makes the 197 so heavy?

Just weighed my FF (with panorama sunroof):
Total weight with 3/5 full tank is 1305kg.
1420kg with 100kg me in the drivers seat and 15kg of dog food in the boot, 880kg front axle load and 540kg rear axle load.

No wonder it is so hard to catch the Peugeot 106 rallyes on track. Their total weight is similar to the front axle load of the 197 :smile:

My 944 turbo weighs only 45 kgs more. It has bigger wheels, a larger engine, more complicated cooling needs, a massive torque tube taking the power to the rear mounted transaxle, a complex exhaust and waste gate system, complicated intake plumbing with an intercooler, pop up headlights, space saver wheel, multi speaker stereo, air conditioning and the power front seats weigh 25kg each. I now realize it is actually a lightweight car for it's equipment level....

I realize the Clio's weight is in sound proofing, crash proofing, airbags and the panoramic sunroof. Still I find it hard to understand why supposedly small car weighs so much. Is NCAP to blame?

the pan roof will add a hell of a lot of weight - and weight where you dont want it, high up

my mk6 golf gti only weighs 1350kg or there abouts

if yours weights 1305 i would say thats about right. a normal full fat is 1240kg but if thats with a full tank of fuel i dont know. a full tank weighs about 35kg.

i miss my 182 for that reason. it felt like a light car. the 200/197 is a hell of a lot bigger.

next to my golf its actually taller and wider.

i wish it weighed 150kg less. it would be such a better car if it were.

when you feel how light and poor quality the interior plastics are its amazing its so heavy?!

crash protection....air bags are not light! not only that its a slightly older platform and doesn't use the new high strength steels like that are used in newer models

the pug is like a coke can - it will fold in a smash the porche probably wouldn't be much better...

Well, at least you would have a lot of fun on the way to the scene of the accident:smile: If I did not have the Porsche I would probably do all kinds of things to save weight, like buying another car without the panoramic sunroof, and cutting off my arms :smile: The truth is though that I really like the 197 because of the sunroof, the soundproofing and the comfort. I would like it more if it were lighter though.

There's a lot you could ditch to reduce the weight. Just take it for a spin and that'll see it weigh some less! Lol! If you're on track, you won't need the jack, tool kit, tyre weld, parcel shelf or the dog food!

Well, at least you would have a lot of fun on the way to the scene of the accident:smile: If I did not have the Porsche I would probably do all kinds of things to save weight, like buying another car without the panoramic sunroof, and cutting off my arms :smile: The truth is though that I really like the 197 because of the sunroof, the soundproofing and the comfort. I would like it more if it were lighter though.

Soundproofing and comfort, most certainly not the first things that come to mind with the 197! You must just drive race cars!
Ive spoilt myself a bit with sporty cars and I have to say the 197 is not great when it comes to those depts!

^^ this.... I'd love to shed a load of weight out the Clio but tbh I like the comfort of the carpets, dash, door cards, upholstery and electric gadgets..

Having said that it does make me chuckle when

A: someone ditches half their interior but weighs 18st

or B: moans about the extra 30kg of a full fat Clio and yet is no where near the professional standard of racing driver to gain any useful advantage or time from that 30kg reduction.

Go crash your 944 or a 106 and then a 197/200......

oh hand on you better crash the 197/200 first as you won't walk away from a 944/106

^^ this.... I'd love to shed a load of weight out the Clio but tbh I like the comfort of the carpets, dash, door cards, upholstery and electric gadgets..

Having said that it does make me chuckle when

A: someone ditches half their interior but weighs 18st

or B: moans about the extra 30kg of a full fat Clio and yet is no where near the professional standard of racing driver to gain any useful advantage or time from that 30kg reduction.

Agreed. I think I would need to shed 100-200kgs to really make the car come alive. How much do the cup racers weigh?

By the way, being heavy does not necessarily equate to being fat :smile:

Go crash your 944 or a 106 and then a 197/200......

oh hand on you better crash the 197/200 first as you won't walk away from a 944/106

The 106 is a tin can, but plenty of people have crashed the 944 and lived. It is quite a well built car, and the late models have airbags as well, but it has not been tested and designed with safety in mind like the Clio has, off course.

Last edited:
I'm not saying the porker is dangerous but like you say cars have to be built to withstand impacts unlike the past.

If I had to choose one if the three to have a crash in my choice would be the Clio.

Of course that depends on where the impact is and as they test the rear and sides more and more, shells will get heavier and heavier due to costs of lighter materials and build techniques.

Just a fact of life.

as they test the rear and sides more and more, shells will get heavier and heavier due to costs of lighter materials and build techniques.

Just a fact of life.

Unfortunately you're right. In a sports car I'd rather take the risk if it meant getting a lighter car. If it were safety I was after I would have bought a Volvo :wink: (I hope I won't regret saying this).

Last edited:
But surely you would like the best of both performance and safety?
Proper driver training is the best money that can be spent in my opinion

Driver training does zip when someone runs into the back of you.

Yes best of both worlds would be great but gluing an extrusioned chassis isn't within most people's budget.

Driver training does zip when someone runs into the back of you.

Yes best of both worlds would be great but gluing an extrusioned chassis isn't within most people's budget.

Im talking about improving driving experience there, not so much safety

Problem is for a multinational company that spend millions if not billions in R&D into a new car and the on building it....
There is no point in making a car that is "the best drivers car ever created" but if u crash at more than 30mph it will mean injury or death. No matter how many purist buy it, you wont hit a big enough market to make a profit.
That's what they are there for, to make money!

On the flipside a 944 will no doubt on offer far more protection than an Ariel Atom but I'd still buy the roofless, doorless, airbagless, 4 wheeled coffin any day.