What caused this?

Yeah it must have been, not fussed though as it gives me an excuse to get them repainted.

So, anyone with any suggestions on the best way to get them done and what colour? I'm happy to completely remove them for painting/coating.

makes a mockery of what it says on the tin....

used variuos makes over the years and not noticed or seen any issues!

Was thinking I've been using brake/clutch cleaner to service mine and the seals are fine. Been done numerous times too and used easily 4-5 tins of the stuff.

It does sound more likely some acid based wheel cleaner might have done it though.

Was thinking I've been using brake/clutch cleaner to service mine and the seals are fine. Been done numerous times too and used easily 4-5 tins of the stuff.

It does sound more likely some acid based wheel cleaner might have done it though.

I've personally never used anything other than soap and water on my wheels. However I have just remembered I've been to a local hand car wash once, maybe they use something strong for cleaning the wheels?

I've personally never used anything other than soap and water on my wheels. However I have just remembered I've been to a local hand car wash once, maybe they use something strong for cleaning the wheels?

They tend to use TFR, took ages to clean off my wheels after local car wash did it, they know not to use it on mine now :smiley:

As I said earlier, mine look like this too. I've never used brake cleaner and only ever used neutral alloy wheel cleaner (autosmart smartwheels).

The bumpy pattern is so consistent over the seal, it looks like it's meant to be like that. Are we sure some 197s aren't meant to have seals like this?

As I said earlier, mine look like this too. I've never used brake cleaner and only ever used neutral alloy wheel cleaner (autosmart smartwheels).

The bumpy pattern is so consistent over the seal, it looks like it's meant to be like that. Are we sure some 197s aren't meant to have seals like this?

Definately not!

Mine aren't like it all the way around, the inner half that can't be seen on the picture are normal. This fits with them reacting badly to something sprayed on them.