What caused this?

Have the calipers ever been cleaned with a strong degreaser??

Or has the brake fluid ever been topped up with fluid thats been sat around a while?? (could cause the acidity level of the fluid to change, due to absorbing moisture).

-Andy

I've only ever cleaned them with brake cleaner, the brake fluid has been changed but was done at a local garage soncant comment in the fluid itself.

What's the best option? Buy new seals or shall I get them rebuild professionally just to be on the safe side?

Any ideas on where to get them done? Big red maybe?

thats alright but most brake makers dont recommend you splitting the calipers!!

thats alright but most brake makers dont recommend you splitting the calipers!!

Surely I wouldn't need to split them just to do the piston seals? The pistons will come out without splitting won't they?

The pistons a currently free moving, and I wanted to get them powder coated at some point anyway. If I can get a seal kit I'll get them powder coated and put new seals in.

Just buy a new seal kit and do them yourself. Properly easy, especially if the pistons are all moving freely. Take the calipers off, pop the seals out, get them refurb'd, new seals and they will be as new. Biggred would be the best place, sensible prices and really helpful.

As to how its happened, who knows. Somethings obviously been attacking the seals. Have you lost any fluid?

Surely I wouldn't need to split them just to do the piston seals? The pistons will come out without splitting won't they?

The pistons a currently free moving, and I wanted to get them powder coated at some point anyway. If I can get a seal kit I'll get them powder coated and put new seals in.

was more a comment on the link posted - the calipers were split to refurb...

The seals on mine look like this, I never had any reason to think they should look different...brakes work fantastically!

The seals on mine look like this, I never had any reason to think they should look different...brakes work fantastically!

Mine Work fine too, however they definately shouldn't look like this!

I'm struggling to find new dust seals, big red doesn't list them. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Brake cleaner shouldn't be used on calipers. It ruins the seals. Spray some on some silicone and you'll see what I mean. If you do use it make sure you rinse after with water.

All I use on my brake calipers is warm soapy water.

Changing the seals shouldn't be too bad a job, if you do it soak the new seals in new brake fluid for a few hours before you fit them.

What "Brake cleaner" was used?

I've only ever used the basic spray can stuff.

They could have been like this since I bought it, I don't think i paid much attention back when I changed the pads.

Anyway i've found rebuild kits now @ £18 per caliper. I've going to get them coated and rebuilt.

Shall I stay with red, or should I do something else? Any suggestions?

Chris

Well it's more a clutch and brake cleaner. Great for lifting brake dust.

As I said its much safer to use soapy warm water and then for stubborn marks you can spray brake cleaner onto a cloth. These seals look like they've been soaked in the stuff!!

Well it's more a clutch and brake cleaner. Great for lifting brake dust.

As I said its much safer to use soapy warm water and then for stubborn marks you can spray brake cleaner onto a cloth. These seals look like they've been soaked in the stuff!!

does look like the seals have gone soft and deformed so must be some sort of chemical thats done that