what are the......

common tale tale signs that the gear box is about to go, while at the ring this easter the hotter my clutch or gear box got the harder it was to change from 2nd to 3rd to 4th mainly and then hard to change down from 4th to 3th and from 3rd to 2nd.

so i am just wondering if its the box on its way out, o a dodgy clutch??

ta guys

with it effecting more than 1 or 2 gears it will/could be either clutch or gearbox oil not coping with the temperature of using on a track

the oil doesnt get thick when hot as such it just maintains its ability to flow and lubricate over a range of temperatures

i put in sythetic oil in my gearbox and it works better the hotter it gets

its not a big job to change the g/box oil as the 197 has a drain plug and filler plug easily accessable and holds just under 2ltrs of oil - worthwhile getting it changed

if you do get it changed - check the oil that comes out for swarf etc - it will look silver if the g/box internals are wearing

Last edited:
Oil gets thinner when hot, and seen as it acts as violent for the gearbox, in extreme temp situations it can get quite thin leading to tight gear selection. The solution would be a more thermally stable synthetic oil.

Also the clutch can have issues fully disengaging and drag, since the fingers on the cover loose their spring resistence when excessively hot.

Early 197s had a common fault with the clutchs getting hot and the fluid boiling much like brake fade but in the clutch line causing difficulty engaging gears.

Was posted all over renaultsports forum...

mines a 57 plate r27, could i have this problem?? ben, do u have a link with regards to the boiling??

Had a similar problem with my 197 a few months ago after getting stuck in traffic. Clutch pedal went rock hard and it was very difficult to get into gear. The car would also refuse to accelerate, it'd just rev. A bit annoying when your about to join a motorway.

About 30 mins later however it sorted itself out, so I'm guessing the clutch fluid got a bit too hot.

had similar problems from new - sometimes getting stuck at traffic lights not engaging in any gear

they replaced the gearbox oil and it's all fine now

I heard many 197's came with gearboxes under-filled from the factory - you may only need a top-up

No signs at all with mine... all worked without fault, cold - warm - hot.

I changed from 2nd to 3rd & found I no longer had any forward gears!

Apparently it was an internal fault with the selector mechanism... dunno if this is the usuall prob.

They've decided to replace the box rather than fix the prob... I presume it will be one of the later boxes.

They haven't got/fitted it yet so I don't know...

Been out of action for nearly a month now... & missing it badly!

mines a 57 plate r27, could i have this problem?? ben, do u have a link with regards to the boiling??

I'd consider yours quite a late model dude, only a year before mine and i dont have any issues?

It gets to the point where the car wont go over 100mph due to wind resistance slipping the clutch... so im told.