200: Well.. I almost died.

I've never had my rears lock up like that.. seems very strange. I'm not convinced on the whole 'front & rear tyres should have been the same' argument either. Maybe it was just poor/worn tyres on the rear that caused it (if so, having the same on the front would've just made it worse!).

I genuinely lol'd at your "chav accent" at the end though! What do you even say?! :smile:

Fekin binned it san.

> ****'in binned it, son.

[MENTION=3821]Womble[/MENTION] speaks absolute sense. The tyres have to be the same and let's put a full stop at that. I'm not saying that that was the reason you had the incident but tyres have to be the same all around for the simple reason that each tyre behaves differently over same conditions.

Now, I'm getting an error when trying to watch the video?

@Womble speaks absolute sense. The tyres have to be the same and let's put a full stop at that. I'm not saying that that was the reason you had the incident but tyres have to be the same all around for the simple reason that each tyre behaves differently over same conditions.

Now, I'm getting an error when trying to watch the video?

The front and rear tyres are put under different loads though, so IMO don't necessarily have to be the same. For example a lot of cars have different width tyres front to rear, which would change the behaviour of the front & rear axles over the same conditions, but the car is dynamically set up for that. I dunno, I run different tyres front to rear and haven't had any problems.. yet :smile:

The front and rear tyres are put under different loads though, so IMO don't necessarily have to be the same. For example a lot of cars have different width tyres front to rear, which would change the behaviour of the front & rear axles over the same conditions, but the car is dynamically set up for that. I dunno, I run different tyres front to rear and haven't had any problems.. yet :smile:

A bit of hijacking but just to clarify things. You are right when you say about different widths. Manufacturers fit different widths to loads of cars, Audi fits wider tyres at the front to tune out understeer (not that they managed to), the rwds have wider at the back, lotus even fits one inch bigger wheels at the back etc. However I was only talking about the compound, the type of the tyre has to be the same. Tyres behave differently under different conditions, some are better in the wet than others, some are grippier than others, some need more effort to reach the optimum temperature than others...so many different things to take into account.

For instance, you can't fit contis at the front when you know that these tyres are extremely grippy when cold and 070s at the back. At the first lift off you would be heading straight in the ditch. Similarly, you can't do the other way around either, the car would understeer like mad. You can't fit a tyre which is great in the wet on one axis and an inferior one at the rear for the same reasons. Different compounds mean different grip levels at all temperature range and conditions, if you have more grip at the front then the car will oversteer and vice versa. My point is, if you value the handling of your car you should fit same tyres all around.

By no means this is a dig or something, all comments are well-intentioned and I'm not saying that that was the reason the OP lost control of his vehicle. The above mentioned effects can also be had when same tyres are worn differently of course.

link still not working by the way..

Seems to regerate a new link now and then. Not a bad thing but I've put a new one there for now. If it goes again then I'll leave it. Don't want any evidence against me if I have a bump in the future.

A bit of hijacking but just to clarify things. You are right when you say about different widths. Manufacturers fit different widths to loads of cars, Audi fits wider tyres at the front to tune out understeer (not that they managed to), the rwds have wider at the back, lotus even fits one inch bigger wheels at the back etc. However I was only talking about the compound, the type of the tyre has to be the same. Tyres behave differently under different conditions, some are better in the wet than others, some are grippier than others, some need more effort to reach the optimum temperature than others...so many different things to take into account.

For instance, you can't fit contis at the front when you know that these tyres are extremely grippy when cold and 070s at the back. At the first lift off you would be heading straight in the ditch. Similarly, you can't do the other way around either, the car would understeer like mad. You can't fit a tyre which is great in the wet on one axis and an inferior one at the rear for the same reasons. Different compounds mean different grip levels at all temperature range and conditions, if you have more grip at the front then the car will oversteer and vice versa. My point is, if you value the handling of your car you should fit same tyres all around.

By no means this is a dig or something, all comments are well-intentioned and I'm not saying that that was the reason the OP lost control of his vehicle. The above mentioned effects can also be had when same tyres are worn differently of course.

Am I right in saying the softer the compound the better it is when warm or hot? So basically if you've got a hard compound, it's good when cold but **** when warm? Opposite when soft? I've got softs on front and hards on back. I've got AD08r's being fitted next week to front so I think I'll move my Potenzas to the back and get rid of the perished Sport Contacts.

The softer the compound the grippier it is when cold, if you have hards at the back it means that it would take much longer for them to reach temperature and therefore the car would be prone to oversteer due to reduced traction at the back.

Potenza is a hard tyre with solid walls, so is AD08R. Again not ideal but better than coupling potenzas with contis.

What time of day was that??

Straight from the fast lane to the slip road?..

Plus, 90% of traffic coming out of that slip road is lorries from the dumping yard, your very lucky. Could have been a nasty head on. I'd take that as a lesson to calm down buddy.

Last edited:
What I learnt on track about the clio stepping out; when it does (usually from lift off or over cooking it) don't brake, counter steer a bit and step on the power to pull it straight.

First time my megane stepped out in the greasy rain I **** myself, then over time I slowly did it on purpose and just did the above and kept calm! ESP does a fantastic job of those situations just needs a little input to keep it true.

But yeah there's time and place for hooning...

The point I was trying to make was that, similarly to fitting different compounds of tyre, different widths of tyre behave differently over the same conditions too - and some manufactures fit different widths of tyre to the front and rear axles, meaning the front and rear axles will behave differently over the same conditions. Though as you pointed out, a lot more comes into play when you talk about different compounds. But this might be beneficial if you want to compensate for the front tyres on a FWD car taking more load therefore generating more heat. IMO different compounds front-rear just have the ability to change the characteristics of the car a bit (a bit like changing tyre pressures or brake bias or suspension settings).

I'm not saying you would necessarily want to have different compounds front-rear, I just think there are arguments as to why it's not such a bad idea that's all :smile:

It is not just compound but construction as well. Some have hard sidewalls, some have soft, some are nylon reinforced, some are Kevlar. That is why you buy 4 tyres the same on the same day from the same batch.

The softer the compound the grippier it is when cold, if you have hards at the back it means that it would take much longer for them to reach temperature and therefore the car would be prone to oversteer due to reduced traction at the back.

Potenza is a hard tyre with solid walls, so is AD08R. Again not ideal but better than coupling potenzas with contis.

I am led to believe the Potenza is a soft tyre? I think the treadwear is only 120? The AD08r is 180 with the SC's being 280. I thought the lower the number, the softer the tyre?

Don't push it in a car you're not used to.

Regardless of tyres. Or brakes or the weather. Etc....

Most high performance FWD cars will go light on the bum if you anchor up, doesn't matter what tyres you're using, some will just cope better with the loss of weight over them than others. But tyres you know are good and keep an eye on the pressures, they can fluctuate a lot in this weather we have at the moment (very cold at night, nice and warm in the day). Braking mid corner in almost any car is a big no when doing a decent speed, it's all down to weight transfer and chassis dynamics.

Get yourself on track and learn the limits of your car in a "safe" environment and get some tuition in. It'll help you on the road as much, if not more than it will on the track.

Last edited:

Plus, 90% of traffic coming out of that slip road is lorries from the dumping yard, your very lucky. Could have been a nasty head on. I'd take that as a lesson to calm down buddy

I second this, your driving is shocking obviously you have no car control or road sense, you have posted on another thread you have £900 to spend to try and make your car go faster !!! use the £900 for some track day tuition at least there if you have another moment like this one their will be less chance of any one apart from yourself being hurt.

Last edited:

Plus, 90% of traffic coming out of that slip road is lorries from the dumping yard, your very lucky. Could have been a nasty head on. I'd take that as a lesson to calm down buddy

I second this, your driving is shocking obviously you have no car control or road sense, you have posted on another thread you have £900 to spend to try and make your car go faster !!! use the £900 for some track day tuition at least there if you have another moment like this one their will be less chance of any one apart from yourself being hurt.

Thats a bit extreme to say he has no road sence and he's a shocking driver, I see worse driving nearly every time I go on the motorway.

As I said in an earlier post, learn from your mistakes and move on. You've had some good advice on this thread, and a bit of slating as you might expect.