Weird throttle related sound with video. Help me out here guys!

Yiannis197

Paid Member
It really does my head in, doesn't affect the car's drivability or performance whatsoever, it's there only when the car is cold and disappears after 5 minutes or so. I'm talking about that beep that ''presents'' itself after pressing the throttle and it lasts less than a second. Very obvious in the video that follows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FePmZNIeuNk

What do you think?

Cheers

that's probably the pcv valve on the side of the inlet manifold.....(the small round plastic housing with the breather pipe on)

Thanks foxspeed. Is there something for me to do to make it stop whinging when cold? Is it trying to tell me something?

Could probably remove it and give it a clean as it does get oily in there

Ok I had a mate pressing the throttle while I was trying to figure out where this sound is coming from and I'm 95% that it's coming from the pcv valve. I did remove it but I didn't know how/with what products to clean it, can't take it apart really so any ideas?

Are these expensive to buy new? I wouldn't mine replacing it if it's not crazy money..

Last edited:
I managed to get mine off, and from what i remember, it can be prized apart, i used wynns carb cleaner, dissolves oil great

Yeap, it was that breather valve after the throttle body. The o-rings had gone slightly and they allowed a bit of air to pass through hence the beeping sound when cold, I believe the seals would expand when warm that's why it'd shut up. The part new costs £40 posted but I only replaced the o-rings and job is a good one.

They do draw abit of oil into the plenum, i was planning on fitting a oil catch tank but never got round to fitting it.

You are right Ryan, they do draw oil inside there. I only realised when I took my tb off for cleaning and I was shocked of how much oil was in there.

After that an oil catch tank was on order, only recently fitted:wink:

Yannis could you please take a photo of that part (pcv valve) ? I dont know what do you mean but mine sound the same today when it was cold so i want to fix it too. Thanks :smile:

Its to the left of the throttle body, round black plastic thing with a pipe connected to it, cant miss it.

this one ? so, remove it (is it going light to remove ? ) and clean from oil and take it back ? nothing more ?

Yes that's the one mate (thanks foxy).

What I did was to change the o-rings really. I got a 225pc set from ebay (£5) and they did the job.

Just for reference this part costs £40 posted.

and what function got the pcv valve ? what is it doing ? a saw a engine of Praga R1 which got our f4rt clio engine and they got remove it and plug the hole.

The oil fumes are directed from the cam cover back to the induction to get burned, these can't be vented in the air for environmental reasons.