Weather Attacks 197??

Wolf197

Paid Member
Well, what a day!!
Left work early due to the bad weather. Took ages to get out of the industrial estate in the snow and after lots of sliding around got a Yellow spanner- and ESP and ABS warning lights.

Then spent nearly 3 hours in stop start traffic over 20 miles.
Got close to home and the first stretch of clear gritted road and the car refuses to accelerate with what feels like clutch slip.

Any ideas? The clutch felt perfect on the drive into work.

You have probably burnt or overheated the clutch in the slow traffic especially if you have been slipping the clutch all the time creeping the esp and abs lights most likely are due to wheel spin. But a clutch going will be the engine will rev but the car will not go forward at the same rate and hard to find a gear. If the CAT has been dragged in the snow under the car it might have went into limp mode not revving above 4,000 or there abouts depending on the gear you in and would mean a spanner light on most likely a faulty lambda heater on the diagnostic side thinking the emissions are out of spec.

My thoughts were over heating of the clutch with all the stop starting.
Can a clutch get destroyed in such a short spell?

I am hoping everything will be normal tomorrow, weather permitting.

If the clutch is weak and your constantly slipping the clutch at walking speed and 20 miles in 3 hours and giving the boy racer rev ( not saying your a boy racer but you know the thing I'm taking about) at the same time yea you can but I gave the options Wolf said the car would not accelerate so its either a clutch or limp mode which will only let the car rev to 3,500 or 4,000 dependant on the gear it's in and what ever speed you can get to at those revs. If it's that then there's no point talking about the clutch, This feels like one of those crap news reports on an incident and every expert is on the news about this possibility and that and no one even knows what's happened yet and if every car is in the same situation with that logic why do people breakdown there's a weakness everyone dives and treats there car differently the cars have different history and above all shit happens.

Just trying to help give some answers

If the clutch is weak and your constantly slipping the clutch at walking speed and 20 miles in 3 hours and giving the boy racer rev ( not saying your a boy racer but you know the thing I'm taking about) at the same time yea you can but I gave the options Wolf said the car would not accelerate so its either a clutch or limp mode which will only let the car rev to 3,500 or 4,000 dependant on the gear it's in and what ever speed you can get to at those revs. If it's that then there's no point talking about the clutch, This feels like one of those crap news reports on an incident and every expert is on the news about this possibility and that and no one even knows what's happened yet and if every car is in the same situation with that logic why do people breakdown there's a weakness everyone dives and treats there car differently the cars have different history and above all shit happens.

Just trying to help give some answers

Thanks turkie
Had no problems with the clutch prior to what happened today. 3 hours in traffic is a one off so can only put it down to the weather and traffic chaos.

Probably exposed a worn clutch?

Point being all the other cars were in the same situation as the Clio so no it’s not normal to burn a clutch out in that time frame or situation given those circumstances.

Of course it’s possible to burn the clutch out in the time frame / situation etc. The conditions may have been the same but the style of driving etc will not be and that’s the key when it comes to a clutch (I am not saying the OP is a bad driver by the way). Also as the OP points out, no one knows what state the clutch was in prior to this journey. If you wanted to you could burn a clutch out in a matter of miles if you really wanted too.

Anyhow, hopefully it’s not a clutch and it’s just been some kind of limp mode or glitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it’s possible to burn the clutch out in the time frame / situation etc. The conditions may have been the same but the style of driving etc will not be and that’s the key when it comes to a clutch (I am not saying the OP is a bad driver by the way). Also as the OP points out, no one knows what state the clutch was in prior to this journey. If you wanted to you could burn a clutch out in a matter of miles if you really wanted too.

Anyhow, hopefully it’s not a clutch and it’s just been some kind of limp mode or glitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully.
Look at the link I just posted and its the exact same thing as that.

PS
Love the suggestion of maybe I'm a boy racer. :ban:

It's no offence here guy's we are all looking for the answers to help everyone looks like the external link is spot on to what the problem is and a solution so we are looking good to have a firm one stop answer for this which for the forum is a result. As for me I might change the clutch master cylinder as I feel the clutch is not working to as good as it should I have already bled the clutch it's just at very high revs the upper end gears do not want to go in until the revs drop or I completely lift off the throttle I was going to change the clutch the gearbox seems good there's no crunching or any of that stuff it's like then clutch is not engaging to the max and therefore not disconnecting the drive fully to allow the change might be the master cylinder slowly going off this could be the smoking gun for all gearbox problems.

Managed to dig the car out and drive to the main road where it was clear.
Did a few moderate accelerations and certainly no clutch slip like yesterday.
Also no ESP or ABS warning lights.

Very strange.

Managed to dig the car out and drive to the main road where it was clear.
Did a few moderate accelerations and certainly no clutch slip like yesterday.
Also no ESP or ABS warning lights.

Very strange.
Bonus! French cars do have their quirks..

Bonus! French cars do have their quirks..

Amen to this! Clio’s seem to have a severe dislike to the cold, and what may seem a problem one day can vanish the next!

Hopefully it doesn’t give you anymore grief, otherwise the thread you linked earlier seems pretty much as you’ve described

Amen to this! Clio’s seem to have a severe dislike to the cold, and what may seem a problem one day can vanish the next!

Hopefully it doesn’t give you anymore grief, otherwise the thread you linked earlier seems pretty much as you’ve described

Let's hope not Ross!
Been out today and car feeling normal again.

Reactions: RossWoods93
Let's hope not Ross!
Been out today and car feeling normal again.

In my first winter of ownership I was adamant my gearbox was done for!

First 5 minutes of the drive it’d be so stiff to navigate around the box, and saw it as a genuine issue!

As soon as the climate warmed up, all was perfect! I’ve had this kind of behaviour for the last two winters now, but have learned to accept it and sympathise mechanically that this cold weather does no favours!

Fingers crossed mate, keep us all update otherwise!

Reactions: JMR
In my first winter of ownership I was adamant my gearbox was done for!

First 5 minutes of the drive it’d be so stiff to navigate around the box, and saw it as a genuine issue!

As soon as the climate warmed up, all was perfect! I’ve had this kind of behaviour for the last two winters now, but have learned to accept it and sympathise mechanically that this cold weather does no favours!

Fingers crossed mate, keep us all update otherwise!

Spot on Ross, my box is stiff, only in to first when stone cold, winter weather.
Once warmed up its as smooth as silk.

Reactions: RossWoods93