Water in engine through air intake Can this happen

ROBBAT

Gold Member
Barbara (the other half) went out in her 197 for the first time yesterday drove about a mile and went through some water what i would call a large puddle.
She did go through a bit faster than i would but just after goimg through the car cut out and would not start again.
I had to get towed home by the AA and when they looked at it they said the timing belt was going round but there was no compression there.
there conclusion was water has gone through air intake and timing belt has slipped and would most likely need a new engine i am gutted. As anyone heard of this happening before.
It has had a new belt, water pump etc just over 2,000 miles ago.

Yes sorry to be harsh but you shouldn't drive through deep water or large puddles at speed or this is normally the out come.

It must have been really deep or she must have been going really fast for any decent amount of water to get sucked in considering where the standard airbox sits!!! You'll be able to pick an engine up for around £750, so whilst it won't be "cheap" to rectify, it shouldn't be too bad in the grand scheme of things. As long as the ECU and electronics are all ok it'll be relatively straightforward to drop your engine out and a replacement put in for any good garage. You could even do it yourself if you have the relevant tools and somewhere to do it. Sorry to hear it's poorly though. :worried:

I would not say it was deep she was doing 20mph as she was going to turn right after the water. I would have thought a good engine would be more.

sounds like a not very good diagnosis.....

at least take the plugs out and see if theres water in there for starters!!!

and remove the air filter to see if its actually wet!!!!

if it did "hydraulic" its usually on one or two pistons and even then they can still run but run very rough....

you need it checking properly before actually condemning the engine etc

I have looked at air filter does not look wet and taken 1 plug out does not look wet. I will take your advice and
get someone who knows Renaults to look at it thanks Foxspeed.
What is clip Ryan?

you would need a massive bow wave for it to suck in enough water to cause it to hydraulic...

gone through plenty of "deep" puddles in mine with the front air filter deflector plate removed and its been fine!

Clip is renaults diagnostic system, if its a faulty sensor it will trace it.

Thanks Ryan. These forums are so helpful it is worth supporting them even if you are not going to meets etc:
Will get it looked at and let you all know i just hope its something else she is so down at the moment.

I'm with Foxspeed, given the description of what happened I'd be very surprised if it was dead dead Nd if so, caused by the puddle!!! Hopefully it'll be an easy/cheap fix but if not don't worry too much as these engines aren't particularly hard to get hold of if need be.

An update to this thread the water was a coincidence. The auxilliary" belt failed, then debris from the belt ingressed inside the cambelt covers and caused the cambelt timing to be affected. I am told the garage that fitted the cambelt had not put a new tensioner on the auxilliary belt (think thats right).

Heard 172/182 where bad for this, when the aux belt snapped worked its way behind timing cover and got in between timing belt! Guy a know was doin a mot on a 182 when it happened and his work ended up forking out for the repair - head off job. Hope yours is not to bad mate.

had a few f4r in at work that one way or another had the belts go etc and so far fixed every one with new valves etc and for less than £500 (for the head work) :coffee:

Take it you have been drinking at that time of night otherwise that is a very poor remark.
The guy who did it is very well known on renault forums and i have never heard a bad remark against
him.