Watch dog- BMW drivers watch out for thieves!

Dodgy.

Wonder if you can do with that for any kind of key card etc.

Wtf is going on with Robinson's specs?

I was thinking the same, strangely someone broke into my wifes Fiat a few months ago and ripped out all the panels where the obd port is, the police who to their credit were there within half an hour and they explained the offenders were probably trying to code a key..

My car was parked right next to it and they didn't touch it...

I was thinking the same, strangely someone broke into my wifes Fiat a few months ago and ripped out all the panels where the obd port is, the police who to their credit were there within half an hour and they explained the offenders were probably trying to code a key..

My car was parked right next to it and they didn't touch it...

Hmmm! That's strange! Thieves are getting too good these days...or are cars are just not up to the spec! Would just be much easier if people earnt there own belongings!

I think there's 2 types of criminals, firstly there are those who keep getting caught and boast about how many times they've been to court or prison, let's face it they are ****e at what they do and should just get a job that they may actually be good at.

The second type is very clever, very meticulous and with the time and effort they put into their crimes they should just be legit as they would probably be quite successful.

Either way they are scum...

This has been a big talking point on pistonheads for a while now, all the people on there who've had car stolen have had no joy from BMW but now it's in the public eye and it seems BMW have admited it's a problem, i hope they lose out on sales now for denying it existed a while ago.

:thumbdown:

I don't know if BMW are trying to scare other people by saying other cars can be stolen this way too, not heard that before.

Audi have a simular key coding thing but the machine that codes them has to talk to ingolstadt to get permission to code the key, so a sort of failsafe.

Video here;

[youtube]XqGlq9vhuM0[/youtube]

This was on piston heads a few months back! absolutely astonished. Apparently the 1M has a blank area with the alarm sensor/ultra sonics. Also from memory the keyless entry/start they use means that the ignition is constantly 'live' which is why they can code a key from the OBD port!

Adam.

Last edited:
So you can smash a window and the alarm doesn't go off ???

My obd port flap is ways off as I usually have a reader plugged in.

I think on pistonheads they were saying some crims *could* be using alarm blockers/radar blockers and watching the car as you park up, you press the alarm and think you've locked the car but it's unlocked.

They go back later and just open the door. some cars have been stolen and no glass was found were the car was.

I suppose * a rouge trader could programme a key whilst your car is being serviced and just go for the car anytime using the key they've programmed into your ecu.

*Just a thought.

The ecu has room for something like 10 keys, you get two keys so room for 8 more, some folks have had extra keys programmed into their cars so no more can be programmed in, for piece of mind.

10 keys seems like a lot so maybee it's less than that. just going on whats on pistonheads.

Yeah they said this but the further you reason people where saying that they checked doors where locked etc.. especially with that video I think it proves that they can reprogram keys.. the lights flash like its been unlocked with the key in hand!

I see you can do this to many, many manufactures including Renault! Clio Mk3

I pretty sure renault tackled this by only being able to code the key from france or something

Every time I read a thread about someones rs being taken, or a thread like this I get pushed more and more towards getting a decent alarm and a tracker system.

I wouldn't deem my car expensive or desirable to most but I would be absolutely gutted it someone took it.

I pretty sure renault tackled this by only being able to code the key from france or something

Incorrect, a 5 min search an you can get the device to do it via the obd for £3,000ish + key

I see you can do this to many, many manufactures including Renault! Clio Mk3

I think that was just BMW trying to say it's not just their cars at fault, Audi have a simular system but the machine that does it needs to talk, as in electronically to the ingoldstadt factory to complete the process.

I see your concern with the keyless thing but not all cars have this.

[SMUG]cups have a proper key :thumbup: [SMUG]

Incorrect, a 5 min search an you can get the device to do it via the obd for £3,000ish + key

Is there a flaw in renaults system like the BMW one?

Reading on pistonheads the BMW system allows a key to be coded whilst the alarm is set/going off.