Vehicle Sales/Advertising Website Research

Which would you choose?

• Autotrader

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pistonheads

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Autotrader & Pistonheads

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Other (being free & as popular as pistonheads)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other as above + P or A

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Hi guys,

Doing some market research,

As we may all have once but I personally found when putting my car/bike up for sale that Autotrader was a RIDICULOUS price to list your car, and pistonheads now is not so much better, so I'm just wondering as per the Poll what you'd do if you were to sell your car?

Thanks! Appreciated.

I would probably stick it up on Autotrader, Pistonheads & Gumtree (I am always surprised at how much luck I've had selling various things on Gumtree, never tried a car though)

I've used Pistonheads and Gumtree in the past. Pistonheads is the perfect place for modified or sports cars with much better qualified interest. Its for this reason why I've never used auto trader to sell as its more geared towards 'normal' cars but I do look on there regularly and I would buy from it.

I've also used Gumtree but only because it's more local centric and reaches a quite a large audience.

Id never use eBay to sell a car but that's only because of the time wasters associated with eeBay.To be honest I'm not sure if I'd even bother with smaller free websites as the traffic just isn't high enough.

If it was free, then yeah why not! You'd have nothing to lose. I guess the issue would be getting enough people aware of the site to make it a good place to buy/sell cars. To do that I would imagine you'd need to have something unique about the website to draw people in in the first place, as there as lots of other places to buy/sell as you've mentioned. I personally used to use Autotrader to find stats for cars! Like BHP, torque, 0-60 time etc.. because it was easy and you effectively had a huge information database of cars all in one place. Maybe a new website could include even more info e.g. errm rev limit, 1/4 mile, lap times, review ratings?? etc etc and also a way of comparing the stats of multiple cars against each other to get the traffic in and get the website known. Then you'd have more hits, be more well known and have better luck buying/selling. That was a brain dump, I apologise if it makes no sense/not helpful!

You would never be able to run a car advertising website for free. The costs would be through the roof on server load alone.

The only way you could do it is what gumtree do and slap Google ads everywhere.

I would list on PH for sure. I don't use Autotrader and even in my circle of friends if we spot a nice car online it is always a PH link and never Autotrader. As [MENTION=1272]Fernandez[/MENTION] says I think its to do with the fact that PH seems to be more for the petrol heads!

AutoTrader is the number one place, just is the most known and has been the leader for a while (they knew that and so charge rip off prices). The guys responsible for making AutoTrader as big as they, are now all the team at PistonHeads. They now plan to take the number one spot from AutoTrader whilst also pushing out globally.

Big advantage with all the community following too, news reports, huge forum etc. Very exciting place to work at the minute.

IIRC, my mates dad who runs a number of car dealers used to pay £20K a month to advertise his cars with AutoTrader, PistonHeads is a fraction of the price and has quite alot more to offer too. I know a fair few of the deals struck with dealers / whats on offer but won't be posting that here.

PH all day everyday for me :smile:

Ps: I dont work for PH

Last edited:
some VERY good feedback here, thing i'll give you all a pm haha
[MENTION=4600]Stevoox[/MENTION] [MENTION=3002]-Eddie-[/MENTION] [MENTION=3203]Rogue[/MENTION] [MENTION=2904]Jamz72[/MENTION] [MENTION=1272]Fernandez[/MENTION]

Yeap, echoing the above really. PH is the place to advertise your performance car and Gumtree for generic vehicles which role is to take you from A to B.

Are you selling then mate? Finished with the conversion?

I found my 200 on Used Cars NI and the Scooby on Pistonheads. Don't even consider cars for sale on Gumtree, don't know why but I've a thing against it. Usually check AutoTrader but not bought anything from it.

Similar Thread Suggestions