Turn Steering+start fault

Hi all. Has anyone got any pointers on my warning lights please? Unlocks fine on keyless and says usual brake+start. No noise from the steering lock then comes up with turn steering+start. I know what it's telling me but I can turn the wheel ok so it isn't locked and need wiggling like I have found in other threads. (Obviously is heavy though!) Had this last week and the good old battery disconnected trick worked. Today it did it again so even whacked a new battery on it and it started but 5miles later after stopping it has done the same thing. Also when pushing the starter button the wipers operate twice!! Engine bay rellay board under scuttle possibly...help!!

I had a similar issue when I bought mine. What fixed it for me was a new battery (like you have tried) but I made sure it had the correct AMP rating for cold crank amps.

Thanks for reply. The one I fitted was a higher rated battery so sadly not the battery. Cheers though. Bloody cars! Frustrating as it's my sons new car that he has waited 3months to drive( I've done 1000miles in it without fault typically). The day he insured it is the day its gone wrong!!

Try turning the steering wheel with plenty of force while pressing the start button. Sometimes the fault you describe can happen when the wheel is turned a bit more once the engine has been shut off and the steering lock has been engaged.

Moving on with this thread..I have managed to get it to communicate with a diagnostic computer. Finally allowed itself to start OK. Had a few faults to do with multiplex connections etc but no idea what they were. Once started on and off no.problema but has now a fault for cam sensor. Live fault so wouldn't clear ok. Airbag light for drivers seat as he has moved this week. Sadly went to.leabe and wouldn't start again and had steering fault/brake fault. Did randomly start but now not communicating with diagnostic setup. Ignition won't turn it off so had to.stall it! All lights on dash and even headlights on but not on stalk! WTF!!!!Had to stall it to turn it off.

Cam sensor is a common fault, which can cause poor performance or non-starting, have you checked under the scuttle panel to make sure drains are not blocked? Sounds like the UCH (BCM) has been goosed with water... again not an uncommon fault. :grimacing:

Reactions: Bucko
The scuttles were cleaned out by me a while back.to.be honest not that that means there's no damage. Is that the one immediately under the acoustic valve? It won't communicate diagnostically with a proper machine now so can't even start to look again. Also hazards are now permanently on no matter what. Have done battery reset and now nothing is on display. Not even insert card or start. Ignition does click though as the clock.in middle comes on and off.

UCH is behind the glove box, see YouTube... the Relay / Fuse Box is under the acoustic valve, that can also cause weird behaviour if its been drowned in water etc. :astonished:

Did you figure out the issue mate? I have a similar problem and is driving me mad. Mine was the car attempted to turn over in the beginning but didn't (suspecting a dead starter motor). Now it is making a rapid clicking before I even attempt to start by pushing the 'start' button. I am thinking electrical issue too. I have to one of the battery cables to stop it from draining my battery juice. P/s: the battery is only 3 months old. Has anyone here had this in the past?

Is that your steering lock chattering maybe? I have since fitted a steering lock emulator and now starts and drives OK with nothing on the dash but loads of stored faults that won't clear! I would have a look at your fuse box in the engine bay for sure too. I swapped mine out for a 2nd hand one but made no difference but I know they are a problem. I have a CanBus fault I think as have 3.5v on CanLo (believe it should be 2.6v) and 2.4 CanHi with ignition on.

Is that your steering lock chattering maybe? I have since fitted a steering lock emulator and now starts and drives OK with nothing on the dash but loads of stored faults that won't clear! I would have a look at your fuse box in the engine bay for sure too. I swapped mine out for a 2nd hand one but made no difference but I know they are a problem. I have a CanBus fault I think as have 3.5v on CanLo (believe it should be 2.6v) and 2.4 CanHi with ignition on.
Thanks mate, the clicks came from the passenger side so probably not the steering lock chattering but think I might have found the issue... The coolant leaked might have short-circuited the starter motor...

Reactions: Sean197