Track day brake advice

From the experienced out there, advice please. Want to keep brakes in tip top condition for tracking as intend to do a few more days this year.

Currently everything standard on the car. Had new standard pads, discs and fluid (ATE super blue) when I bought the car about 9 months ago. Only use the car for hooning (and now track days!) so it's not a daily. Will be doing more track days as I can't afford anymore speeding tickets TBH!

Questions;

(1) how often should I change fluid? I've only done 4000 in the car and 2 track days.

(2) front pads - standard pads look to have 4-5mm meat left on them. When would you change? I know it depends how you drive etc. but rough guidelines?

(3) uprated pads - I know there's loads of discussion on here and the common recommendation seems to be DS2500 at the moment. Wondering if it's worth going for an even more track focused pad that can be used occasionally on road - considering I won't be using the car much at all, and not as a daily? Not arsed about brake dust etc. Would just want something safe on road but reliable on track - or just keep the standards well refreshed?

(4) discs - have some bluing after oulton on Friday. Is this a sign I have overheated them, didn't let them cool sufficiently, or both? Will this affect performance? Was doing 15 min stints max and a full cool down lap trying not to touch the brakes as much as possible.

I have another day at bedford coming up at the end of the month with my mate in the car who is even less experienced than me so want to make sure the brakes are tip top and don't want them giving up at any point obviously.

The car needs servicing before then so wondering whether to refresh fluid and uprate pads or leave that (and braided lines) till after the end of the month and Bedford.

Money not a massive consideration to a point - would like the PF 330mm conversion but don't think I want to spend £700 plus without pads.

Cheers all.

Last edited:
I'm using ds2500 but I may switch to pagid rs 14's or the CL5's after doing oulton on sat. With been dry and. Pushing a lot more thought they were struggling abit towards the end. These two more of focused track pad even though used the pagid's for everyday use with no issues in a perivous car

Last edited:
Is the bluing on the discs not just a nice coating of pad material?

Whenever I heat cycle mine at the start of a trackday that's my aim, an even smearing/coating of pad material on the disc...gives the pads something better to bite into.

Whenever I heat cycle mine at the start of a trackday that's my aim, an even smearing/coating of pad material on the disc...gives the pads something better to bite into.

Discs go blue from heat mate. It can be a sign that the driver is dragging the brakes although discs tend to go a bit blue under heavy usage anyway.

I think a very light shade of blue is what's aimed for if anything, though generally the guide for bedding them in I've had is to get them to the point of fading.

I've had mine go completely and very obviously blue, pretty sure that physically warped the disc. Had to replace them after that.

may be pad material then - defo no warping and not the whole surface area of the discs involved.

how long will the ATE super blue work well?

Highly rate DS3000 pads I can brake alot later and harder than most cars that get in the way on trackdays :-P

DS2500 are great all-round pads. Fantastic on road and not too bad on track but I did overheat them at bedford and ended up knackering the discs as a result.

If I was buying another pad I would be looking at pagid or performance friction

I went from std discs with ds2500 pad to 330mm performance friction disc with ds2500 pads, braided lines and Motul fluid and the increase in performance is mind blowing.

Last edited:
+1 for the DS2500's Although with mine not going back on track now I have the silver shed they will be getting taken off and sold shortly