toyosport manifold, powerflex engine mounts

Lovell

Paid Member
hi all,

im after some advice about my car, the manifold has been blowing since i got the car. I thought it was the joint between the manifold and cat so never really bothered me until today when the blowing exhaust got much worse. upon inspection its been clarified that the manifold is the probem so ive been looking for a replacement but as of yet haven't found any except the toysport manifold. am i right in thinking that this removes the cat from the manifold? does this mean any power gains? or does it mean that ill have a flat spot? will the car need re-mapping after fitting? will the car pass an mot easily? will the car be any louder than currently? will it effect the fuel efficiency of the car? also how much would i be looking at paying for a standard replacement? also whilst the car is being sorted i thought id look into getting some stiffer engine mounts, how have people found the powerflex engine mounts?

any experience/advice apreciated

Thanks James :smile:

Yes it removes the pre cat from the manifold.
You wont see any power gains. Maybe half a hp.
If you still have main cat in place you shouldnt have a flatspot, car dependant though.
Should still pass mot with main cat in place.
Fuel efficiency will remain the same.
Standard replacement? You can pick up a used manifold for about £100 at a breakers, alternatively they are about £600 mew from Renault. If you mean how much labour cost, £250-£350, garage dependant.

Just had my manifold replaced as well as new engine mount and de-silencer
Garage charged me £250 cash all in.

Got a worn manifold for sale for cheap, check it out

Chris pretty much answered all your questions,
It doesn't make much/any difference to noise and it won't need remapping.
I have the powerflex upper and lower torque links, vibration is fine. No noticeable difference when driving, some times you get a little more vibration at idle though.

thanks for the help, currently waiting to see how much its going to hurt the pocket should hopefully have a price on a number of options including the toyosport and ktec (it is very expensive at £600)

brought the toyosport manifold and have had it fitted today along with the 3 engine mounts and gearbox mount. got called by the garage that was fitting it and went to have a look the manifold is far to close to the crossmember under the car and rattles when the car is on idle there's literally 1mm of clearance anyone else had any issues like this?

Yeh it's the subframe, common issue, some bend it over, some grind it away, as long as they don't grind too far.

personally im not wanting to mod the subframe but have heard of people bending/tweaking the pipes to fit has anyone done this? if so using what and was it on the car? i have now sent the original to have new flexis welded in but if i can get this to fit without removing it from the car i will and just sell the standard one on.

heres an image of how close it is

IMAG0214_zps3qppbgxf.jpg

Bending the manifold pipes? Im curious to how they've done that...

IIRC, when installing the lower engine mount there was a tip by someone to push the engine up before installing the new mount, or something along them lines, which would obviously push the manifold further away subframe.

Why are you hesitant about bending the subframe? As long as you bend the it towards the back of the car and just the upright part of it, that wont affect the structural components of the car?

by bending the lip do you mean along the bottom where it lips out? and would you bend this down to the ground or hammer it up? also it comes very close at the top as well as you can probably see better in this photo
IMAG0216_zpsouufuxdi.jpg
thanks for your help by the way very helpful

You may need to 'align' the engine mounts if it is sat like that. Remove/loosen a bolt from the lower torque link, then slacken the bolt which goes into the bulkhead on the upper link, pull engine forward then tighten the upper link again, then tighten the lower link.

If all the engine/gearbox mounts have been off, I would guess that the whole engine is sat closer to the front of the car, so you could also see what wiggle room there is on the main engine/box mounts too.

I have a toyo manifold fitted and a full set of vibra technics mounts fitted.

You might have allready sorted this but heres what i've had to do.

The top 'torque' mount can be loosened off and the engine pulled forward before re tightening and this sorted out my problem with the manifold hitting the subframe, i also fitted a powerflex bush at the same time [black] and this helped as the original one had worn badly.

The toyo fitted well and my 197 [one of the last] did not have a flat spot, i doubt it made more power but it did rev a little free'r, after i'd had my cambelts done the guy told me the ignition was a little advanced and he'd put it right i seem to have the flat spot everyone goes on about, i think it might have been set like a 200 [it has some 200 parts]

The vibra technics mounts stop the engine moving about and i CAN tell a difference with them on but boy do they shake the car.

My toyo manifold is about 23 months fitted and the domed end fell off last month and i had to have it welded back on, getting intouch with toyo about warranty [bearing in mind its stainless] to be told its only covered for 6 months peed me off a bit.