Toyo sports manifold

Ok guys, bought a clio 200 cup steering rack to replace my tired 197 rack, went for the 20" cup for obvious reasons.

Anyway, while I undertake this might I replace the manifold with the toyosports manifold while the subframe is off?

Reason for possible replacement is....the original has had the flexi's replaced but there's still a leak somewhere in that area, now whether it be a flexi starting to go again, which I'm unsure of cause it's never become worse since I purchased the car or it's due the the welds are somewhat shabby lol, looks highly possible the welds are holding the flexi's in place but night a sealed unit

Well i guess it makes sence if you think yours is going, I think i read that the toyo one rubs on the subframe and you need to replace an engine mount or something, theres a thread somewhere ill have a look.

Engine mounts already replaced for uprated ones for other reasons so that's covered, I've also heard the subframe and manifold clash but how much with uprated engine mounts that's the answer I'm looking for I guess? Can anyone chime in?

Also how much of a flat spot can removing the pre cat cause? Mapping being done around sake time so I don't know if that will help?

Mine hasn't been tuned since fitting the Toyosports manifold, plus I have a full Akra exhaust fitted so no cat or pre-cat on my car.
Strangely despite what others have reported I have absolutely no flat spot issues.
It pops on overrun, bangs (loudly) on upshift & throws the odd flame, but is definitely smoother under throttle than it was when standard.
Whether that's because of the combination or because the Akra resonator is still in place I have no idea, but my A/F ratios are great & it drives lovely.
Perhaps it's simply that it's more an issue with the 197's than the 200's ?, so maybe you need feedback from a similarly equipped 197 owner ?.

Re the rubbing issue, I have replaced all 3 mounts with the Vibra-technics ones plus I had to grind away about 10mm from the subframe to stop it rubbing, (I ground the subframe in an arc & painted it as per oem, thus you would never know it was not that way from the factory). pic attached...

RS200225_zps52d7c4d8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Mine hasn't been tuned since fitting the Toyosports manifold, plus I have a full Akra exhaust fitted so no cat or pre-cat on my car.
Strangely despite what others have reported I have absolutely no flat spot issues.
It pops on overrun, bangs (loudly) on upshift & throws the odd flame, but is definitely smoother under throttle than it was when standard.
Whether that's because of the combination or because the Akra resonator is still in place I have no idea, but my A/F ratios are great & it drives lovely.
Perhaps it's simply that it's more an issue with the 197's than the 200's ?, so maybe you need feedback from a similarly equipped 197 owner ?.

Re the rubbing issue, I have replaced all 3 mounts with the Vibra-technics ones plus I had to grind away about 10mm from the subframe to stop it rubbing, (I ground the subframe in an arc & painted it as per oem, thus you would never know it was not that way from the factory). pic attached...

RS200225_zps52d7c4d8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Steve

Thanks for that, summed it up perfectly.

Often wonder if the flat spots are noticed so much because of aggressively sinking the throttle and waiting for it all to happen, I always try to feather the peddle in until it's in the powerband so to speak and also keeping the car in the correct gear helps lol!!

Cutting the subframe out a little would you say it effect structural strength?

One more thing, did you do the work yourself? I'm handy with a spanner and do all the work myself but subframe removal is one thing I'm a little cautious of from reading peoples experiences

You are only grinding away part of the flat lip at the rear of the subframe not the boxed structural piece so I don't see it being an issue. My car spends a lot of time on track (almost every fortnight) & ive not noticed any issues under close inspection.

I did the job on a hoist with the help of a friend who is very accomplished & it still took us several hours (it is a big job). Also I only found it necessary to loosen & pry the rear of the subframe down rather than removing the whole thing.

Ah right I get you, it looked like part of the upper box section had been cut into.

My brother and I could manage it, the main reason for removing it is actually the rack so thought it be better to get it off and check wishbone holes for wear, do the rack, change manifold etc, cover every job that is awkward to do! It's a big hassle tho.....

Gonna get a price for the work to be done by rentec near where I love they seem very savy but things like grinding the subframe they'd frown upon maybe.

I've got a ktec induction on and I'm concerned about hear soak, think heat wrapping the manifold would reduce engine bay temp?

My manifold cracked on cylinders 2 and 3, so I had the Toyosports fitted. My garage's solution was to bend the subframe rather than grind it:

manifold.jpg

I got a brand new lower torque link and upper stabiliser, and fitted a Powerflex insert in the lower torque link. It's only ever clashed with the subframe once when doing a hill start. It's going for a remap at RS Tuning a week on Monday as it's running very lean on open loop, but it feels really nice at part throttle where you can tell it's using the lambda sensor to control the afr. Once I've got it mapped I'll be happier - I'd factor that cost into the exercise, plus the service it'll need beforehand to get the most benefit. I'd say the whole saga will have cost me about £1,100 at the end of it.

Joe

Fitted Toyosport manifold to my 200 replacing the OEM one today, as it was blowing. I've driven about 100 miles (motorway cruising + a bit of B road blast) here's my initial experience:

- I've noticed no flatspot. In fact I could even say low down power seems to have improved very slightly.
- It's noticeably quieter cruising at 70-80 mph on motorway and accelerating low to upper mid range.
- It's quite noisy at the high end once hot though. Gets really boomy when lifting off at 6-7K RPM. Not a very pleasant noise either IMO but it might also be that I'm getting old. Not worse than before but I was expecting the exhaust to be significantly quieter.
- I've had torque mount and lower engine mount replaced with Powerflex ones and there's no knocking issue.

Reactions: lincroftonline