Toyo R1R's

melvin1993

Scotland | Alba Rep
Thinking of buying these as they look a good compromise to the R888 as I drive about 300 miles a week and wouldn't get the good of them. Just wanted to know if any one has used these and what are they like?

They are on my 'to try' list. I've had R888's before, and also had 595 RSR's which I found to be much better wearing. Current favourite though is Advan AD08, similar price to the R1R's last time I checked.

Is that the Yokohama tyers I keep seeing people with?:L
Iv seen then for £120 a corner but iv found R1R's for £97! £401 for four to my door step
They look like the best of both worlds really. But R888 would be the dream haha

Yea, Yokohama Advan AD08. Camskill is pretty good for tyres, but I don't know what stock they have at the moment. At that price I'd go with the R1R's, and let me know how they are :smiley:

They are not very good dedicated track day tyres

Too much tread movement due to larger tread blocks

Always favour a dedicated track tyres and road tyre

id rather have the tyres off a shopping trolley than have toyos tbh (except R888 ) they go 'off' pretty quick, i went for the ad08 yokos aswel.

Also due to compound it requires a min operating temp making it useless for cold months

I'd recommend Yoko AD08s. Ran them in all seasons and they are superb (Though standing water can cause aquaplaning).

Also done a few trackdays with them and again they are superb. Not as good as the R888s but a definite improvement over the Contis.

Nothing road orientated is going to be as good as a R888 or FZ201

Another option is the federal 595rsr but its another half way house

Depends how serious your track work is if at all

595's have been giving the R888's a very good run for the money. Wouldn't say they are a half way house.

I want something like T1R and a R888 the R1R seems to be a good compromise from there product range really want to see what there like every one that's had them says there really good compaired to some of the bigger brand. I'd go for the Yokohamas but at £120 the R1Rs at £98 seem a lot more apealing and at that price I can easy but a nother set come the time

I want something like T1R and a R888 the R1R seems to be a good compromise from there product range really want to see what there like every one that's had them says there really good compaired to some of the bigger brand. I'd go for the Yokohamas but at £120 the R1Rs at £98 seem a lot more apealing and at that price I can easy but a nother set come the time

Sounds Luke you have made your decision but as mentioned above the softer gg compound will wear on the roads at 399 miles a week so you cost reasoning goes straight out the window as they will need replacing much quicker than the yoko

595's have been giving the R888's a very good run for the money. Wouldn't say they are a half way house.

Having used both , I would ...

Again they are not as focused and the tread pattern again means excessive movement for a track tyre leading to more heat - quicker

Deffo not a out and out track tyre IMO worth considering if your starting out etc

However there good when half worn :smile:

Do you know what stot of wear rating the conti3 has? Just out of intrest. I got then with the car and they were a bit low on grip any way only about 4mm and they didn't last to long. But hopefully in June ill get a run about. Would they last until then (spirited drives on a regular basis haha)

Having used both , I would ...

Again they are not as focused and the tread pattern again means excessive movement for a track tyre leading to more heat - quicker

Deffo not a out and out track tyre IMO worth considering if your starting out etc

However there good when half worn :smile:

I didn't get on track until mine were half worn at donington. They were awesome at how fast but I did drive home very slightly illegal and had to get new tyres on the Monday.

On reflection I appreciate what you mean about halfway house tyre as they are excellent as a road tyre that you can take on track.

I didn't get on track until mine were half worn at donington. They were awesome at how fast but I did drive home very slightly illegal and had to get new tyres on the Monday.

On reflection I appreciate what you mean about halfway house tyre as they are excellent as a road tyre that you can take on track.

That's the sort of tyer I'm looking for I know there will be better ones out there it's just iv always heard good things about r888 and t1r and I'd just like to see how the r1r is

How long did you have your tyers on for before they were at 50%?

If you are looking at track biased tyres like the R888's then you should consider having them scrubbed down before use, which I think tweeks still does.