To those of you that have HID kits installed on their 200....

Now I'm not looking for opinions on whether people should have hid kits installed or not.

I just want to know to those that do have them installed where they have their ballasts installed?

Some people mentioned there being a slot under the headlights where the oem ballasts went, but as we know the 200 did not have xenons as an option so is the slot only on the 197 headlights or are the 197 and 200 projector headlights the same?

Either way just want to know where people have installed their ballasts and pics if you have them please.

cheers

Mine are screwed into the plastic under the headlights (197 but 200 same) it's the great big plastic part that also holds the lights and top of bumper.

With the bumper off you'll see what i mean.

Cheers for the reply.

Just wanted to see if there was space under the headlight on the 200.

As you say when I come round to doing it I'll see it for myself. At least I have projector headlights so the hids will look better than putting it in reflector lenses.

I've ordered a 6000k, but after reading around I should have tried going for a lower temperature as it's less blue and actually brighter.

Ah well if it's really blue I'll just get shot of it it wasn't too pricey.

Thanks for that Marshall very helpful.

I'm gonna change my other bulbs and that too so they don't look so yellow.

Just wondering how this works when it comes to MOT time and you don't have headlight washers for them? Is that not a fail? My s2000 failed last year because the headlight washers weren't working.

Just wondering how this works when it comes to MOT time and you don't have headlight washers for them? Is that not a fail? My s2000 failed last year because the headlight washers weren't working.

I had a hid kit on my previous car, it had projector headlights and the ballasts were hidden.

The beam pattern was correct and it passed, the mot tester didn't mention anything about me having hids, and neither did I.

I'll do the same thing with this car and see what happens....

Technically if you have hids you need to have auto levelling and washers and they need to be working, but I think from experience provided the beam pattern is correct and the lights aren't stupidly blue (and ballasts are hidden) then I think the majority pass mots.

Just remember to clean your lenses before mot time lol

Last edited:
Hmmm, I guess this is probably another case of how much more strictly the MOT rules are applied here in Northern Ireland than in England etc...they seem to go by the book here and all tests have to be done by the DVLNI.

Hmmm, I guess this is probably another case of how much more strictly the MOT rules are applied here in Northern Ireland than in England etc...they seem to go by the book here and all tests have to be done by the DVLNI.

You could be right, I don't know how strict it is where you are.

I'm sure there are some strict mot testers down here too. The mot tester I use issn't a "mate" or someone that does me favours. I just don't say anything to him and just act ignorant lol

The same guy failed me on an older car where I thought it would be cool to tint the back lights black to match the colour of the car (I know, but it was a long time ago), looking back it did look crap and it was very hard to see the brake lights. Either way he certainly does me no favours so if my hid kit on my last car was a problem I think he would have failed me.

Mine just passed it's MOT yesterday no problems.

Beam pattern all good, 4300 kit fitted, 35w

Then a bulb blew on the way home, must be my lucky week :smiley:

hids are not a problem when it comes to MOT time. VOSA say that 'IF' something is fitted as standard i.e self leveling or headlamp washers then they MUST work. it is not illegal to fit hids if you dont have washers or self leveling.