"tick tick tick" noise in engine

I wondered if it was something to do with the cambelt. I'm planning on getting the cambelt done next month.

put your hand down the back of the block see if any of the welds are blowing on the manifold, mine sounded similar before they blew clean off and sounded like a spitfire

Sounds fine to me. When the depahser goes it makes it sound like a diesel, so I doubt it's anything to do with that.

I'm not even sure i've heard of any 197 dephasers needing to be replaced?

My cambelt did that just before it snapped my my first ever car.

If its not been done and is due I'd get it looked at.

I'm just waiting for another price on the cambelt then it'll be getting done asap. Bye bye 500 smackers :-(

My cambelt did that just before it snapped my my first ever car.

If its not been done and is due I'd get it looked at.

Your car did what? The F4R engine isn't the quietest engine, that's for sure!

Lewis, don't be panicked! Here's my belt, removed only last week. It's done nearly 68k and has been on the car for 5.5 years.

Aside from a slight noise from the aux tensioner, everything was in good order.

null_zps9d8ac5a7.jpg
null_zpsf12d1816.jpg
null_zps93170f6b.jpg

The fact that yours was still OK doesn't guarantee anything Chris... I wouldn't wait a week if my cambelt had to be done. Better pay £500 today than £2000 tomorrow.

The fact that yours was still OK doesn't guarantee anything Chris... I wouldn't wait a week if my cambelt had to be done. Better pay £500 today than £2000 tomorrow.

I never said it did.

My point is that there is no noticible noise in the video that points to the belt being about to explode. The cambelt isn't overdue on Lewis' car, so why should he rush out and have it changed? Get it done yes, but it is hardly a ticking time bomb!

I never said it did.

My point is that there is no noticible noise in the video that points to the belt being about to explode. The cambelt isn't overdue on Lewis' car, so why should he rush out and have it changed? Get it done yes, but it is hardly a ticking time bomb!

have to agree here!

the 197 change interval has a bit of leaway built in

biggest threat to cambelts is engine oil....

I had a ticking from the belt area of mine, was told it's nothing to worry about. When I got the belts & tensioners changed a year later the noise stopped.