Thinking about becoming a new member...

Bigstevet

Paid Member
Hello Ladies & Gentlemen!

I've been into Hot Renault's for many years but usually those fitted with a with a Turbo:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I'm looking for a new car for a bit of track thrashing to replace my 5 GTT Coupe Cup Car and have narrowed down my selection to an Megane 230 F1or a Clio 197/200 and would welcome some comments from you pro-clio chaps on what you'd recommend?

It would be great if someone could link up some good threads for me to have a read through perhaps?

Regards

Steve :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_20160624_113405_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20160624_113405_hdr.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 112
  • P1010046.jpg
    P1010046.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 113
What other threads are you after? Project threads or reviews of the car or what?

Hi Chris!

Thanks for the quick reply and welcome!

You've hit the nail right on the head right there mate, really looking for some comments from guys who have been through the similar dilemma as I?

For sure I'm a big fan of the Power & Torque of a Turbocharged car.. but I just can't learn to love the look of the Megane.. :nope: The best thing would be for me to drop a Turboed F4R engine into a Clio 197/200 which would tick both boxes.. but I don't want to spend that money at the moment .. so figure perhaps the best thing would be to get a good 197/200 and then if later on I still want the Turbo, I could get it done then??...... However, surely the guys at EVO can't be wrong when they say the Clio 200 is a great hot hatch and can take the fight to much more expensive competitors?

Specific questions I'm looking for answers on are:
  • Does anyone have experience of a Clio197/200 vs a Megane 225/R26 on a track? (I Imagine braking and corners are where the Clio excels, but then the grunt helps the Megane pull away on the straights..?)
  • I know the 200 has a different look & gearbox, but does the 200 handle much better than a 197 out of the box?
  • Is the cup chassis just springs & dampers, or were there thicker roll bars etc..?

No threads of a direct comparison spring to mind, so won't be able to link a thread of that nature.

The megane is not as good of a looker compared to the clio, thats for sure. And that does play a role when considering.

Most people don't carry out a turbo conversion on the clio block itself (not in all cases, some have done it) most opt to drop a megane engine into the clio, if thats the route you want to go down. The guys from EVO, and pretty much every other car reviewer, are not wrong, the clio is a very capable car on track, as you said though, its just the straights that let it down, round the corners and braking zones, it is a very good car. Most people on here, would opt to boost a clio rather than changing to a megane (of the shape your talking about, the 250 is a different kettle of fish)

There is very little difference apart from aesthetics between the 197 and 200. They revised the gearbox, but there is not a great difference, they just changed the ratios slightly. Also a faster steering rack. Your not going to notice an overwhelming difference between the two cars. The cup chassis is just springs and dampers yes.

You have got to consider the Meg R26 comes with a diff, whereas the clios don't also, will be something to consider for track.

Welcome Steve, can't believe the 5 cup has gone :worried: I also own a 5 gt (I'm GTTurbo from turborenault.co.uk).

I recently bought an acid green 200 and can't believe how well these blooming cars handle (I also own a 182 trophy). If it's straight line performance you're after then probably not the 197/200 but through bends you won't go far wrong :wink:

Will you be at OrigineRS at Goodwood this year with the Raider or dare I say Renault 19?

Welcome
Nice collection you got there
If i will ever come to uk i would really like to drive all these real old hot hatches !

Welcome along.... Nice looking cars you've had! Good luck for the search!

and FYI, Twocked from Google..... Category D is for the most lightly damaged cars, or those which were stolen and recovered after the owner had been paid by the insurance company. The official description of a Category D caris one that has suffered accident damage that would cost less to repair than its value.

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with the search and I hope you find the right car for you! You won't hear much negativity about the Clio on here :wink:

172 cup is where its at.

failing that a CAT D 197/200
although really depends on final budget.

I was thinking Cat D, and there is a nice 197 F1 Team with all the toys available in Black that's Cat D... but there's always that cloud that hangs over the car's head for being a Cat D...

Interesting you recommend a 172 Cup?? Thought that was yesterdays news?! You still think they're better than a 197?

Lovely looking raider mate.
Still kick myself that I got rid of my R5GTT
I have a fairly decent 197 that would out handle my old 5 turbo (which had Coilovers)
But straight line grunt the 5 turbo would've destroyed my 197
horses for courses imo. But I think you might miss the speed of the 5gtt
Good luck with whatever you go for

Ben how fast they go at all lol
I doubt its something that make a big difference.
Maybe by feeling yes
Not quite sure what you mean legend?
Dont get me wrong, I love my 197 and use it on track as much as possible. But I want to climb the horsepower ladder and go faster in a straight line and round corners. Have you driven a 5?

No:worried: look what i said at my first post hah
But how fast can it be at all? 6sec 0-100 max? And im optimistic
0-60 times irrelevant on track it's about in gear acceleration. Turbo chargers will always win especially modified ones:drool:
Let's not hijack this thread anymore though. Nice chatting with you mate

TBH if you want "fast" - forget it (As far as a standard'ish 200 goes anyway). "Nippy" yea. "Enough" the road and some fun- yea. But scary fast ? Pull the other one.........

If you want outright fun and smiles per-mile; Purchase away however !

Welcome to the forum. And perhaps welcome to the 'club' in future.

*LOVE the first R5 car and pic BTW.